Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Best Intake for Fuel economy for Manual Xa?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Best Intake for Fuel economy for Manual Xa?

Excuse me if this is in the wrong place or if a thread already existed. I searched the forums and of the 24 pages of returns, I could not find a definitative answer. I also checked the stickie thread about threads for different parts for the xa.

Although that thread listed a lot of intakes, pros and cons and some photos, but seems there was mixed reviews when it came to a product working or not.

Seems some warm intakes did better than cold and vice versa. Seems the only things that were in stone was the fact that the cold intakes the filter is near the front of the car by the fog light area, the warm ones the filter is by the exhaust, the mass air flow sensor should be before the breather hose and the toyota intake is known to crack or break.

I thought that I would just buy the k&n model, but after checking the website, seems you only get 4.86 hp at like 6 grand. I shift at 3 grand and would seldom get to take advantage of that power gain.

Is the xa intake already efficient and needs no modifications? Does the foam type of free-ier flowing filters make any more improvement vs the tube type of intakes? What about removing the snorkle? Seems that would allow more warm air into the system and I thought warm air was bad, cold air was good? Maybe the warm air from the radiator area where the air box is down wind from makes the computer sense the hot air and run the system leaner than normal without the snorkle?

Thanks for any clearification. The goal is more economy vs power and I understand that the engine needs a certain restriction to give you torque or more economy vs raw power.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my guess would be that if your going for economy, then stick with the factory set up. maybe put a drop in hi flow. i truely doubt that anybody gets almost 5 hp just from an intake on the xa. those numbers are just to sell the parts. i could be wrong though, but i doubt it
Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM

i got the K&N typhoon system. there was a marginal gas mileage gain but nothing mindblowing. my friend got a second hand injen CAI and he's told me that his gas mileage gain was minimal as well. i dont think any sort of intake from any manufacturer would greatly increase your gas mileage. they do however make your engine sound better. good luck with your car.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drop in filters are no more effective than oem filters. you aren't going to see any noticble mpg gains from an air intake, but the sound and extra couple of horses are nice, especially when you get up to those higher speeds on the interstate where you don't feel so stable!

it would take forever to make up for the cost of a cold air intake in fuel savings if there are any, but most people smarter then me say there aren't, but that is cool because that isn't what we really buy them for anyway.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. You guys rock. Glad to think I am not going crazy.

I get "free" filters from the dealer because of the promotion toyota has in the Richmond area, priorities for life, so it would kind of defeat the purpose of buying a reusable one, espacially if there was no performance benefits at casual driving.

Ive read that removing the snorkal can make it sound better, but so does pressing the gas petal to the floor. Normally I try to avoid making it sound good and try to drive the car so it sounds like an electric one.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

da best way to save gas is have a light foot when it comes to the gas pedal........get me?
Old 04-28-2007, 02:23 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

injen SRI for the most improved gas mileage for the xA (((not the xB!))) since this set up is a hot air intake...