Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Clutch shakes in first gear only when cold...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Clutch shakes in first gear only when cold...?

Hi all,

I searched and searched but couldn't come up with anyone else having this same issue. When th car sits over night, whether it be in the summer or the winter, it always shakes in first gear when I first drive off. After about 10 minutes, it never shakes again for the rest of the day.

In the winter when I would warm up the car first for about 15 minutes, it wouldn't shake when I first drove it off. But, if I forgot to warm it up first then it would shake in first gear, but again...wouldn't do it after about the first 3 stop signs, and NEVER does it second gear or higher.

I'm totally stumped on what this could be, and the dealer told me that it was a normal thing for the xA, but this doesn't seem too normal to me. I've had plenty of other 5spd Toyotas ranging from MKI and MKII MR2s to a couple 2000+ Celicas and never ran into this issue.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Thanks again
Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, you release the clutch in first gear. Take it to 5 grand and back the whole time the car jerks and shutters like its about to stall out? That is strange. It is a low gear and many times I take off in 2nd to avoid squealing tires. My car seems to idle a bit above 1000 rpms before it warms up and never had the problem.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 PM

No, thats not what happens. I dont know that I've ever tach'd it up that high. When I leave my driveway taking off slowly, the car will start to shudder. The tach will be between 1200-2000 while its shaking. Anything above and its fine. Then, in 2nd gear its not shaking at all, no matter the tach speed.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats normal. Ive posted about a clunk below 2000rpms when engine braking, but seems it fell on deaf ears.

I think you are referring to the low gearing of the car and the vvt kicking in and out with the car using a different fuel/air program to get warm.

Basically the engine wants to run faster and will be courser to control til it warms up.

THe ground wire kit helps too with this. Thats why I use to launch my car at 3 grand since below that it would studder and or stall out. Nothing like driving a diesel when you can drop the clutch in the first 3 gears and it keeps right chugging along.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 PM

Exactly!! If I rev the car up to around 2 grand andn then engage the clutch, the shuddering doesn't happen. This is interesting. You say a ground wire kit is available to help this issue out? That'd be awesome. I'll search it out.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have noticed this as well on my 06 xA. It usually happens when I have the car off for a while. But it only happens in 1st gear and I launch it around 1200-1500 and it shutters like its going to stall and then the front dips back down and then the rpms go up and the car gets going. I have a groundwire kit and this still happens.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Interesting, Garrett. Have you taken it to the dealer to find out what the issue might be? I've tried taking mine, but they insist its a normal thing.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys think something is wrong? I just assumed the 2.4l diesel engine my other car I drove and diesels in general had a different power curve, so this was normal. My moms suzuki swift I too find it is similar and generally rev it to 3 grand before I start to release the clutch to go to guarantee not to stall it out.

As for my xa, with mobile 1 in the tranny and ground wire kit, I can chirp tires at 2 grand at stop lights. Got to be careful not to stall it either. Now a days when I try to stall it, it will catch and refire as you hear what sounds like the rods briefly knocking.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I havent taken it to the dealership because I assumed it was normal. But maybe for kicks and giggles I will take it there. I mean I'm no service tech but if they insist its normal then its whatever. Its just really wierd. I can chirp the tires for a while in first and a little bit in 2nd and almost almost in third gear.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

An old ('94) Saturn my wife had did the same thing, and it was especially bad in the winter. Someone told me it could be the clutch wearing unevenly or something... sound likely or not?

The xA also does it to a small extent. For me, revving a little higher and letting out the clutch a little slower usually keeps the shuddering at bay.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:26 PM

Yup, absolutely. Little worse in the winter, revving it a little and letting the clutch slower mitigates the issue. Hmm...strange that its such a common occurrence. Good for me, I guess! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Real shock for me from driving a diesel. I sometimes just shifted gears without giving it any throttle in traffic and just idled it along. If I reved it to 2-3 grand it would squeal tires.