2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Installed the Injen CAI on my xA

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:14 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Installed the Injen CAI on my xA

I awoke this morning to find the UPS guy left me a present on my doorstep. No, it was a lit bag of dog poop, but an Injen intake. I ran outside and threw this puppy on in about 4 hours.

I was rather bummed out when the instructions told me I had to remove the left headlight and the bumper! Ta hell with all that noise, I just took out the battery, I had enough room without worrying about scratching up the intake. Cleaned it all up and bam, done.

Sounds awesome, even with an automatic. The engine lets out this throaty growl at low RPMs, it's great. I can't wait to start on the exhaust!

Old 04-12-2005, 03:29 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i have to rob this thread j/k

i just installed my SRI today too too me 45 minutes to do man that was cake walk to install

and it sounds freaking'ly sweet too kind of (almosts) sounds like that V-8 i use to have

but i'm not too sure about the power, just love that sound and gave my under hood glammer some sparkel :D
Old 04-12-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like how you used emblems for your CF valve cover, very neat idea :D
Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey Satmax, where'd you get the intake and for how much? That's my next upgrade, and i get my bonus check at the end of the month :D
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any power gains?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the Injen RD2105P from Option Imports, they have a sale going on right now for free shipping. I only paid $220.80.

I think the sale was for a limited time only, but here's the URL if you want to check it out.

http://www.optionimports.com/incoairinsc2.html

As for power gains, I didn't expect to have really any gains, but the car does seem to pick up a little bit more at wide open throttle and response from a stop seems improved. Guess the hamster was really starving for air...

I do want to say that after you first install this intake and you start your car, don't be surprised when you smell a gas odor. All of the cars I've had in Japan had a few moments of rich exhaust after installing an intake. After a few minutes at idle, I guess the engine adjusts for the increased air flow and everything will go back to normal.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not really inclined with this kind of stuff, but wondering just the same...did you have to deal with a bypass valve? And if you did, what's it actually do?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Your engine bay looks real nice.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xcalibur1986
Not really inclined with this kind of stuff, but wondering just the same...did you have to deal with a bypass valve? And if you did, what's it actually do?
The Injen intake doesn't include the bypass valve. The bypass valve on the AEM intake is a safety measure incase your air filter is submerged underwater. The valve sense a vacuum and opens up letting air in at the valve and water will not be able to get into your engine.

From AEM's website:
AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in.
I don't plan on making my xA amphibious.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet!

im now regerting getting the cheap crappy aem cai
Old 04-13-2005, 12:32 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RobbyxA
sweet!

Robby, if you're wanting to get rid of that AEM, people on eBay will buy that up quick. I spent weeks trying to find one on eBay that wasn't overpriced because the bidding actually went over what the usual price for them go. For how much you could sell that CAI you could definitely pick up an Injen.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Satmax
Originally Posted by RobbyxA
sweet!

Robby, if you're wanting to get rid of that AEM, people on eBay will buy that up quick. I spent weeks trying to find one on eBay that wasn't overpriced because the bidding actually went over what the usual price for them go. For how much you could sell that CAI you could definitely pick up an Injen.
hrmmm.. you think?

it sounds like there is a big difference in the sound between the aem and the injen.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:03 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure, but I think the Injen's piping is slightly larger in diameter then the AEM's.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:20 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did notice theres a slight pipe reduction right before you get to the MAF sensor
Old 04-13-2005, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the idea of a bypass valve on the AEM induction...it doesn't rain often here but when it does the drainage here is nonexistant and my xA will be a daily driver...so unless a company comes up with a hood inducted CA system I will either just install a K&N, Fram Air Hog, or the AEM CA system...I can not justify putting a system on that will allow water into my engine...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OD3X1
I like the idea of a bypass valve on the AEM induction...it doesn't rain often here but when it does the drainage here is nonexistant and my xA will be a daily driver...so unless a company comes up with a hood inducted CA system I will either just install a K&N, Fram Air Hog, or the AEM CA system...I can not justify putting a system on that will allow water into my engine...
Where the filter is located on my lowered xA, water would have to be just above my wheel hubs. It doesn't sit that low, and if you're driving in water that deep, you're better off buying a canoe.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a nice looking CAI
Old 04-13-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Satmax
Originally Posted by OD3X1
Where the filter is located on my lowered xA, water would have to be just above my wheel hubs. It doesn't sit that low, and if you're driving in water that deep, you're better off buying a canoe.
hehe...a canoe wouldn't be a bad idea here when it does rain...I floated a 1983 Buick Regal once...