Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

moving the front seat back

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default moving the front seat back

Has anyone removes the front seat from the track on the floor, moved the track 3 -4 inches to the rear, and then reinstalled the front seat. And if so, how did you do it. I'm tall; and on long trips, a bit more legroom would be nice. TIA, Mark S.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Some people put a few washers in the front bolts to change the angle of the seat. This has helped some long-legged homo sapiens with comfort...

Just something funny, try sliding your seat forward while breaking from a roll. It's definitely an "oh ____ *while involuntarily honking horn*" moment.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure with the xA...but Jeep owners (wrangler) do it all the time. And for those who don't like to mess with drilling the track, they even sell a kit to bolt on to slide further back than factory spec. a google search will definatly returns a handful of useful info.
depend on how tall you are...remove the seat and you will definately have LOTS of leg room sitting on the rear
Old 04-27-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell me about driving these small cars and being so tall and big. The benz I owned, 240d I could slide the drivers seat all the way back to the rear seat. It went back way further than the passengers seat, plus you could lower it. I miss driving with my legs and arms fully extended and looking at the side mirror through the rear window and pillar member getting in the way.

With the scion xa, I have tghe seat all the way back on the track, then about back 45 degrees. My head and shoulders are even with the pillar member and my knees come up beside the steering wheel. Got to be careful not to flip off the turn signals when the left side is on or turn off the windshield wipers when they are on.

Ive read the washer thing too. Sounds like a good idea, but not what you would think. I use to be in a wheelchair, although I will spare the story, being tall, wheelchairs were made for short people too. What I did was put washers under the front seat mounts and loosen and retighten the rear mounts and by tilting the seat back, it make more support under your thighs, but made the seat more supportative. Got to be careful that in this case you do not raise your knees too high or make your legs needing to bend past the 90 degree angle to work the petals and causing more problems with the knees and levers around the steering wheel. .
Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

what I want to do is remove the driver's seat, extend or move the tracts attached to the floor back towards the rear seat, and then put the seat with runners back on the tracts. if i can figure it out, I'll post an answer. Mark S
Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see, not sure I would take that on. Seems if you sit that far back, the air bag for the steering wheel would be useless. THe side ones may still help, if you have them. I was in a wheelchair for 9 years from a muscular disease that is in remission, you dont want to be in one at all. Plus in my years in rehab, Ive met many who were in accidents that walked away with 3rd degree burns from the air bags, but survived an accident that would of killed them and totalled the car/truck/suv. The scion has a 4 star rating and I wouldnt want to screw it up. But I still miss my benz, which is know to also handle a crash well.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 6'1" but short in the inseam. If I move the seat too far back then I can't hardly reach the steering wheel, I wish it would telescope out.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive driven two cars before the xa. AN e250 van that was setup pretty good with relationship of petals to seat, space between petals and seat, steering wheel and you sat up right. THe mercedes 240 d you sat down low, down low with your legs extended to reach the petals and wheel. Npw with the xa the steering wheel is low, but the petals are right in front of the seat and guess I need to stretch my calfs to work them better?

I tried a kia rio5 and man, my knees wer jammed into the dashboard, the steering wheel was in my crotch and I couldnt steer it cause it was in my crotch under my gut.