Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

New XA Shifting Clunkiness

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:32 PM
blt
5 Year Member

Default New XA Shifting Clunkiness

I picked up my new 06 5spd XA last Wednesday. When I shift from first to second gear the shifting feels clunky. It's as if I have to pause between 1st and 2nd to get a smooth shift. Has anyone experienced this? If so, does it diminish over time?
Other than the shifting, I am really impressed with the car.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have this "issue" I figured it was something that needed to be broken in... now some 7800 miles later, it's still there... Not sure if it is something to do with the shifter it self *will know when I get my tvm short shifter* or it is something more I need to look into....
Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I know my xA did that when I first got it. The thing is I haven't driven it in so long, I can't remember if it went away or if I just got use to it.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine still does that after over 10 000 miles. Double clutching makes it easier, but the higher the rpms, the more difficult it is to make the 1 2 shift.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

There is a service bulletin about the shifter on the xA/xB if I remember correctly. It basically tells the technician to check and ensure that the shifter cables are properly clipped down in the shifter cage. You must remove the center console to check this. This could be the cause of your problems and it's easy enough to check.

-Alex
Old 11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member

I figured it was just because

a) I havnt driven stick in a while
or b) the car was new

For me shifting in general feels like im shifting through a bag of gravel. I have more missed shifts (gears 2-4) in this car then i think i have had my entire life.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:41 AM
blt
5 Year Member

Default clunkyness

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
There is a service bulletin about the shifter on the xA/xB if I remember correctly. It basically tells the technician to check and ensure that the shifter cables are properly clipped down in the shifter cage. You must remove the center console to check this. This could be the cause of your problems and it's easy enough to check.

-Alex
I will have it checked out. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's EXTREMELY common. I'm pretty sure it's the synchro's. It's just how the car is.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, bad shifting here too at 17k miles, I'll have it checked sometime in the future provided I dont upgrade the clutch.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
There is a service bulletin about the shifter on the xA/xB if I remember correctly.
Do you have a TSB # ????
Old 11-04-2005, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member

Mine still has a clunky shift if I get into too much of a hurry, I thought it was just me.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member

I was just gonna say its probbie cuz is a syncro clutch...my brother was like getting a hard on, doing no clutch shifts with my car when he borrowed it, lol.

But depending what RPMs I'm in and how far I push down on the clutch pedal I get some clunkines but not too bad. Play with different engagement points and hand positions on the stick (I know this sounds so bad). But you will get a feel for where and when your clutch likes to shift. Use your ear as well, it helps a lot. Be one with the xA, Jedi!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The tranny has synchro's,not in first or reverse though...correct?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

Well I think you can shift from 1st-2nd without stomping on the clutch pedal but I've never tried it. Its the same with my motorcycle I only do no clutch shifts in gears 3 and a above. But once you pop it out you can feel that you have about a second to pop it back into a higher gear like the tranny is waiting for something to happen and has you on pause for a second.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

8K and I have the same problem, I also get a big clank when I put it in reverse, while the car is moving slightly (either direction). With me, it comes and goes, but it's been getting smoother.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member

http://www.elecdesign.com/Article/Ar...6137/6137.html

Ok read this article and stop beating the crap out of your gears. Putting the car in reverse while not at a full stop is not a good idea. Notice that it doesnt happen if you arent moving.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it gets better after I drive the car for a while after warm up. it becomes super smooth after a freeway sprint. otherwise, it's a tough shift from first to second.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sometimes I have to actually let my car move a little to get it in reverse.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Change your Transmission oil to synthetic. I use Redline MT-90 and my transmission shifts nice and smooth. Its like night and day.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

ok check it out... i work for a tire company changing tires... most of the cars that or stick that we get and drive in... hear is a lil trick to get your car in reverse gear a lot easier... try goin to 5th then reverse... if that doesn't work go to 4th and reverse... or try goint straight into reverse... and let off the clutch real slow you will feel the snyros let the gear slide in... i get this reverse gear prob in everycar that comes around so it not just teh toyotas that do it and it is NOT a problem with the car... just the way its built... the hard shifting form 1st-2nd is also common on the toyotas only... i fixed my problem with a custom short shifter i had made from a machine shop up the road... i would recommend twm short shifter... played with it a few times... it feels the same as mine... hope this takes some releif off of some the new peeps... later

Quick Reply: New XA Shifting Clunkiness