Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Question about the factory alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question about the factory alarm system

Ok, I just bought my xA two days ago and I opted for the factory alarm because thy gave me all kinds of crap about voiding my warranty if I get an alarm anywhere else. So anyway, I go to pick the car up and the guy hands me the keys. The alarm they put in was a cheap aftermarket alarm, I was pretty ____ed and they gave me all kinds of excuses saying I should have told them I wanted the Scion alarm and not just the crap alarm they usually put in. Seeing as I was buying a brand new Scion and asked for the factory alarm and paid $500 you would think that it would be implied. But anyway, I raised hell and they said they had to order the Scion alarm because they had none in stock and they would call me when it came in. They called me today saying that the scion alarm doesnt do anything and that basically all it is used for is keyless entry, and they wanted to make sure I still want it. Now my question is, is this true? What does the factory alarm actually do on the xA? Does it protect the car by other means than locking it or were they just trying to get out of having to switch the alarms. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not the best but it does more than just lock the doors. i think they're just trying to get out of thier mistake since its going to cost someone there money.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The factory alarm does do more than just lock the doors.

Raise hell man, because I'd be ____ed too.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same run around at my dealer when I picked mine up last sat. I got the factory alarm and I like it. If you unarm it and dont open the door it rearms itself after 60 seconds. It locks the doors when you turn the key on and unlocks them when you turn the key off. I has a glass breakage sensor, panic button and starter disable in the armed mode. The lights flash when arm and disarm it, and it has a chirp sound. And it is covered under my 36/36000 warrranty too.

Go back and get it and dont let them lie to you about it only opens the door.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply guys. Im definitely not putting up with thier crap. The alarm they put in is garbage and its only right that I get the factory alarm that I paid for. Now to make sure they actually put this thing in right. I dont want them doing a half assed job on it.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I just ordered a rs3200 for my Xa. It should be almost plug and play.

On my old tacoma I had a crappy VIPER alarm. The viper alarm was always going off and sometimes would NOT open/close the doors.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Dear Kaotic1, I'm glad you didnt let your dealer get by with that ripoff. What you paid for is officially called Scion Security System with Remote Keyless Entry per the official Scion accesories brochure. It performs all the functions that KMS2212 mentioned in his post. I have it on my 06 xA as well, and so far, it has performed flawlessly. Once again, I'm glad you stood your ground! You know the old saying, (you get what you pay for). Welcome to SL and enjoy your new car.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the installation manual for the OFFICIAL scion VIP alarm system for the xA:

http://tijil.org/Manuals/Installatio...20Security.pdf

Glad you didn't let the dealer get away with that crap!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dealership pulled the same crap on me...and when I checked the aftermarket system price...I understood why! They are just trying to make money...take it back tell them you bought Scion Security, and you want Scion Security. And make sure it's noted in the service record that THEY were the ones who installed the aftermarket system, so there is no warranty issues. I keep hearing it's not the best, but I love mine, works great! I will never do business with those folks again, they don't even get my service business...can't trust 'em anymore.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Question about the factory alarm system

Originally Posted by kaotic1
Ok, I just bought my xA two days ago and I opted for the factory alarm because thy gave me all kinds of crap about voiding my warranty if I get an alarm anywhere else. So anyway, I go to pick the car up and the guy hands me the keys. The alarm they put in was a cheap aftermarket alarm, I was pretty ____ed and they gave me all kinds of excuses saying I should have told them I wanted the Scion alarm and not just the crap alarm they usually put in. Seeing as I was buying a brand new Scion and asked for the factory alarm and paid $500 you would think that it would be implied. But anyway, I raised hell and they said they had to order the Scion alarm because they had none in stock and they would call me when it came in. They called me today saying that the scion alarm doesnt do anything and that basically all it is used for is keyless entry, and they wanted to make sure I still want it. Now my question is, is this true? What does the factory alarm actually do on the xA? Does it protect the car by other means than locking it or were they just trying to get out of having to switch the alarms. Thanks.
They are giving you complete crap. I bought the alarm for the keyless entry, but the alarm disarms the engine and won't start if set off. I paid the same amount and got the scion alarm. I think you just had a bad dealership. The trunk even sets it off if you open the trunk with the key before turning it off. I think it was well worth the price. Raise cane and get the scion alarm - what they should have given you in the first place.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok well they finally installed the realy factory alarm. And wow what a difference. that old one was a piece of garbage compared to this thing. Im glad I fought it. The remotes are really nice and over all you can tell its a better alarm. The one thing I noticed that may sounds stupid is that the little light that lets you know theres an alarm is installed is so much nicer. The old one was just a hole drilled in the little cover of where the light belongs and the light was like glued into it. The new one actually says Scion on it and has the glass break senser, but Im sure you all knew that considering most of you probably have the real factory alarm. Also the lights all blink and it beeps when you arm or disarm it which ridiculously the old one didnt do. Although the beep it makes it quite annoying. Whats bad is that when I went to pick the car up when they took my key off the wall of keys at the service center I saw two other Scion keys with the cheap garbage alarm remotes with them. So that dealership is doing this to everyone they sell the cars too. So for anyone living in the Long Island area, watch out for Atlantic Toyota because there appearantly doing there best to screw people out of a decent alarm system and $500 bucks.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

The factory alarm looks easy to install. It's my saturday morning DIY project.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

How was the install of the factory alram?

I just ordered one and was thinking that the install must be a snap as everything should be prewired. Was it as easy as you hoped or am I going to be in trouble?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Hardest thing to do was to remove one single pin wire which you resued. I'll have to see the instructions again. It was hard due to I did not have the right size small flatblade screw driver.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks, I'll be doing mine next weekend so I'll post any issues.