2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Roof Rack Mounting Position?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Roof Rack Mounting Position?

I got my yamika rack the other day from the mail the other day. I installed it like the instructions said with the aerodynamic flaring. Although it seems to need more throttle to go over 60mph it felt much more stable when being passed by semi trucks.

It seems 11 inches from the windshield is too far forward for aero and for the feet to fit right. I am thinking about moving it back some. I am not carrying anything currently. Just want it incase its needed to carry stuff and maybe more down force to make it a bit more stable.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to move the rear part back as far as I could mount it and the front bar at the edge of the black stripe between the door pillars. Feels better and man, the car was steady. It did not bob around like it use and no worry of cross wind blowing it around or big trucks.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here is what I have at this time! Will be changing to tracks soon but for now!
Let me know what you think!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, I have mines mounted about the same on the xa. The instructions said to put the front bar 11 inches from teh edge of the windshield, but I could feel too much wind resistance or throttle needed to go over 60mph.

I need to consult you guys to make mines look cool, but not ghetto or cheesy one day.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Mine look cheezy or ghetto?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

We just installed a Yakima rack system with fairing and a pair of King Cobra bike mounts. I mounted the towers in the exact location they said. 11" inches from the windshield. I have only gone on the freeway once since installing it and didn't feel any difference in the way the car drove.

The only change I had to do was mount the bike racks in the reverse position. Which it said to do if you have a fairing installed. Also when the rear hatch is up it came within a 1/2" of the bike rails, which I thought was to close. So, went ahead and mounted them backwards. The bikes are centered on the roof though and the rack looks nice! I will try to post pics as soon as I can.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. Not seeing it, but if anyone had mentioned to me they wanted to paint the box agua green, tint the windows and rear lamps and put on low wide tires, I would say that would be ghetto. It looks great.

I wouldnt mine having mines painted like the car in the girls with their xas thread with the green and white paint with matching rims.

Originally Posted by BoiseAuctioneer
Mine look cheezy or ghetto?
When I mounted my rack the 11 inches I could feel more petal was required to go over 60mph than normal. With it moved back over the pillar between the doors that went away. I have both bars and both flarings just incase I need to carry something, but nothing currently mounted to it. I work two jobs and need it to carry my parents walking gear if I need to pick them up again from the hospital.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I mounted my Yakima per the instructions and haven't had any problems with it, other than losing some gas mileage. You can see what mine looks like by viewing the profile pic.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Went riding today and got some pics of our xA with the Yakima rack and bikes. I like it because it's so easy getting them on and off the car with the height of the xA. But, even with the bikes that high I don't feel any wind resistance when driving. We will probably get a snowboard attachment and maybe a basket for other uses down the road.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member

I have the Yakima roof rack and have it mounted 11" from the windshield and 32" between bars. I have the fairing and have noticed a decrease in road noise as a result, but have never felt a difference in stability . I am thinking of getting a basket like boiseauctioneer, but for now I just have two of the Yakima Copperhead bike racks.