2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Rubbing on stock suspension with OEM replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rubbing on stock suspension with OEM replacement tires

Ok so i got Pirelli P4's last winter, and they are AMAZING in the rain, they slide a lil in the snow, and the grip alot on corners before the car naturally understeers.

Ok so here is my problem. I go to my friends house every week-end which is 45 minutes away, and half of that 45minutes is spent driving vicious mountain roads. Well I am rubbing not too much on my right front side tire's SIDEWALL. Ok, so i dont know if I am rubbing or if my tires sidewall is giving out soo much that I ride the sidewall taking really sharp turns.

I have a little bit of junk in the car, so should I take the weight out? I drive up there with my friend in the passengers seat so I cannot avoid frontal weight.

I am soo confused as to what is happening, I dont have a camera so I cant take pictures yet. I have the energy suspension stuff in my car but no jack, so I cant do anything about that yet.

Do you guys think the energy suspension would help? I mean im on STOCK suspension....i drive an 06 btw so maybe its time to change?

Any help would be awesome,

Regis
Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

46 views and no suggestions? Hmm, im trying to figure out the cheapest way to do this.

please...HELP!!

lol
Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rubbing with oem setup? Have you tried driving slower? It would help fuel economy and wear. If you are twisting the parts to the point the tires rub, you are pulling too many gs.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think you are rubbing! Its sounds to me like the tire is rollin over onto the sidewall going around corners and you are driving on the sidewalls.What tire pressure are you running?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scooter06
I dont think you are rubbing! Its sounds to me like the tire is rollin over onto the sidewall going around corners and you are driving on the sidewalls.What tire pressure are you running?
Like he said. If your side walls are wearing you must be either driving on them or rubbing curbs all the time, stock suspension leaves so much space, it's over an inch just to get from the rubber on the (stock) tire to the fender.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well im running 33psi so like 36psi when the tires are hot. I dont get it though...these tires are awesome. Well this time i drove back to my friends with a passenger in the front seat, and it actually seemed to help. I think since the shock is pre-loaded it has more touble giving in. I did not ride the sidewall this time.

Cobb....I know I pull alot of G's, i can sometimes feel my chassis flex a little (kinda bad LOL). I still get 30mpg on those roads though. I climb 1000 feet in 9 minutes...And thats going Up AND Down, but it still goes up more than down.

I dunno, i get worse gas mileage when I try and be gas efficent vs. me gunning it all the thime and revving really high. Maybe my computer learned how to adapt to high rpm economy? I dunno confuses m e a lil.

But yea, Scooter thanks for the input I "could" be riding the sidewall, but then again you need to drive these roads dude, they DIP and TURN at the same time, its like a roller coaster with no speed limit for 8-10minutes worth of driving.

Thx guys....guess i'm getting a jack and putting the energy bushings in this week-end.

W00t!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Diesel, what the guys are saying is that your tire is rolling over to the sidewall and you are driving on that instead of the thread. Its like walking onthe sides vs the bottom of your shoes. You should seriously consider going slower and up shift a gear to keep the revs up.

Dont forget I broke a grade 8 bolt I used for a sway link and the dealer told me the same thing. I had to replace a tire because of sidewall damage.

Yes, this little engine loves 3000-3500 rpms when in operation. I am sure a cvc tranny would give this car even better fuel economy.