Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]
View Poll Results: What Scion buyer category are you?
OLD!!!
17.43%
31-40 age group
22.02%
18-20 age group
14.68%
21-30 age group
45.87%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Scion Buyer Demographic - xA

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Scion Buyer Demographic - xA

Okay, I know Toyota targeted the "youth" market when they developed the Scion brand, and I have noticed quite a few under 30 members on this site, but how many of you guys & gals fall into my category of over 30, married with children, and bought a Scion for all the practical reasons of fuel efficiency, affordability, low payments, etc., instead of mod-ing?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have mine yet, but I will as soon as I sell my truck. I'm 38, married, with an 11 yr old son. I'm currently driving a full-size extended cab 4X4 truck which is loaded with all the options (heated leather seats w/memory, cruise, power everything..etc). The reason I'm selling it and getting a Scion xA is simple. I really don't need that much vehicle. I only drive 4 miles each way to work, yet I'm driving a huge, top-of-the-line truck. When I decided it would be smart to sell it and get a small economy car, my first thought was a used Corolla. But after seeing and driving the xA, there's no other car out there for me. I love 'em.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im 30 and married have kids but they rarely get in the xa.they get in only on the weekends when I attend meets or car shows.they are always in the astro van they have enought room to move freely and they also like the fact that they have a flipdown monitor so they could watch tv or a movie..................juan
Old 11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am 67. Was driving a 1991 Geo Metro one litre manual. Wanted another. No longer made. I wanted something as near as possible to the old Metro but with automatic as I have arthritis in my feet and it keeps getting worse. With automatic one can keep on keeping on if one foot is working adequately. I would not go with Daewoo. Focus did not look really reliable. I seriously looked at the VW Golf Diesel but the nearest dealer is perhaps over 75 miles away and the stories of VW quality and dealerships seemed serious enough to eliminate that choice. That mostly left the Scion and the xA was the most fuel efficient and had side air bags which I think one owes to passengers. I once had a Toyota small pickup and was not happy with failure of an engine gasket and really bad rusting spots here and there which seemed to originate under the paint. But I decided to take a chance on the xA even tho many do not seem to be happy with the paint, stock tires, and springs and I do not approve of imitation bumpers on any vehicle. The lack of fuel efficiency as compared to the one litre Metro is something I must learn to live with as dealers seem to be fearful of offering efficient motors in a new vehicle in the USA.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default imitation bumpers?

Yeah Yeah I was once griping about the bumper cover thing but I was just recently rear ended in my xA and all I have to say is Cool. the crumple worked flawless I still have perfect alignment. yeah the cover is trash and Its $150 for a piece of plastic...but it gave me an excuse to put my widebody kit on.

anyway I'm 37 married and our 1st child is on the way.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was also rear ended, the bumper just crumpled. I was hit by a truck, still waiting for the repairs to be done.

BTW, I am 24, turning 25 in two months.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow, there seems to be more of us 31-40 yr olds than I thought.

Boilerman, I traded in my 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 for an xA. The VW engine's been great for the 4 years that I owned the car, but it's been prone to annoying electrical issues (like most VW).

werdna9, I'm 34, have an 18 month old daughter, and my wife is 3 months pregnant....hence my need for lower monthly payments, cheaper gas, and better fuel economy (the Jetta took premium unleaded). Congrats on the 1st child on the way.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i just got my xa rs this past monday. i am 35 years old, not married, no kids. i bought it cause it was practicle and you dont ever see any of them on the road. and definitly i am going to mod it.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought my xA because I wanted a small car with four doors and good fuel economy (regular unleaded is ~$2.75 here) -- at a reasonable price. Not may cars fit this profile: Volkswagen Golf is too expensive, Chevrolet Aveo has a terrible interior and not enough standard equipment, Honda Civics are overpriced and you never know what you're getting with a used one, I will NEVER drive a Kia, and the list goes on. Scion was the choice for me. I don't like the xB, and the tC is neither effecient enough nor inexpensive enough to fit my needs. xA it is for me, and I love it!

By the way, 21 years old, single male, no children. That makes me their prime sales target, right?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member

My wife and I did all that we could to screw up Scion's projected demographics, as I'm 60 and she's 57. We wanted something that would get good mileage and be comfortable for my partially disabled wife (7 back surgeries in 4 years-degenerative disc disease). We tried all of the econoboxes-Vibe, Mattrix, Focus, etc.,but the Xa was the most comfortable for her. The Scion sits high enough that she can enter and exit easily, the seats were the most comfortable, and the price was right. I didn't have any worry about steering away from a first year build cae, as I figured it was pretty much built on the Echo pan, and being a Toyota, it would be screwed together pretty well. Good mileage (31.9-36. ang a good purchase so far. It was one of the first Xa's to be purchased in Aberdeen, Wa in June.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Gary, have you had a chance to drive in snow up there in Alaska?
Old 11-20-2004, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, there's plenty of snow on the ground. Valdez is the snow capital of the west coast with an average of about 325 inches per year. Our first snow this year was in September. Why do you ask?
Old 11-20-2004, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

30, engaged, no kids. Past 10 years I lived in my 2 seater 300ZX TwinTurbo. Wanted something fuel efficiant, hatch back, back seats fold down, 4 doors, sunroof, and the fiance would like for her car. Got the RS 1.0. Had no plans to modify it as I already have my toy, but it impressed me my last trip to the race track. Trying to beat down the bug..
Old 11-20-2004, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Kremtok
Oh, there's plenty of snow on the ground. Valdez is the snow capital of the west coast with an average of about 325 inches per year. Our first snow this year was in September. Why do you ask?
Just curious how the xA handles in snow (especially in the snow capital of the west coast!). I ordered my xA last week and should have it pretty soon....same as yours Gary, 2005 Indigo Ink Pearl.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

She's a champ! It goes great in the snow - but tires make a big difference. I had the stock 185/60/15, and they did all right, but I didn't feel comfortable going any faster than about 30mph in them with all of the ice we have on the roads. I just had Bridgestone Blizzaks put on, and it's doing much better now. If you want more info, feel free to e-mail me at bullg@att.net.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks Gary. My first car 16 years ago was a Honda CRX...no ABS, no power steering, FWD, stock tires, and I think I drove that car better on snow than I do newer cars.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member

:twisted: 38, 3 kids and a wife we all fit fine in my xa rs 1.0 infact selling wife nissan quest minivan and getting her a xb. great milage and plenty of room inside to haul things with the seats down. now if we could only decide on a color... :twisted:
Old 11-22-2004, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

alot of the older scionites mod up their scions too. they get em for reliability and all that crap at first but then pimp it.
just for your knowledge.
i am 19 will be 20 on tuesday. I bought the box as my way of getting a brand new car. my first brand new car. i have always loved toyota , nissan , bmw's and vw's. and i have owned at least one of each. my first car was a 1980 datsun 210 , then a 1981 bmw 320i , 1987 toyota supra , 1969 vw bug and now my 05 box. i love old cars but i needed a reliable car. and with its good fuel comsumption and it's awesomely unique style the box was it. i am pimpin it out constantly almost every week now i have at least 1 new mod of some sort. theyre gr8 cars bottom of the line. (even without enough power)
Old 11-22-2004, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Remember, that this survey you are taking is not from a random sample, but from an internet forum, which is going to lean your results towards the young side. So this may not be the best way to get statistical data.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Tru dat, Sid. Anything short of conducting a buyer survey at Scion dealerships will yield somewhat skewed data. Still...despite this poll's less than ideal conditions, having 30% 31-40 year old participating is pretty good considering the circumstances. Also, I'm glad to see some participation in this forum from the "OLD" group (no offense meant....a Scion lover is a Scion lover is a Scion lover).

Quick Reply: Scion Buyer Demographic - xA