Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Scion xA as future collector car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Default Scion xA as future collector car

Is the xA going to be a good classic car in the future? Someday, gasoline may no longer be used and many other technologies will fade away as usual. I think I am going to keep my Scion xA for the rest of my life, long after it's been done as my daily driver. Here's why:

-It's small and I can find an easy place to store it. Storage tends to be a big problem for car enthusiasts.
-It's a manual and along with gas, it may go away in the future or at least become very rare
-It's reliable, so it will probably run for as long as I am willing to spend on it
-It's a first generation car and only made for a few years. It will be very rare and will be remembered as one of Scion's first cars for America.
-It's easy to perform DIY maintenance and pretty easy to find parts.
-It looks unusual and quirky. It will definitely stand out from automobiles 20 years from now.
-If gasoline becomes rare/expensive, it won't be so bad since it's great on gas.
-If I decide to continue to use it on a regular basis it is definitely possible since Toyota's are usually very reliable and easy to maintain.

Is there anyone else here who is planning on keeping their xA for a long time? I am curious about this because I have never restored or kept any old cars before.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will run my Xa into the ground.

Wether that be 300k 100k 250k 400k 1million w/e I am keeping it until gas is 8 dollars a gallon.

There is no point in buying a new car unless you have the money to buy a new car.

Buying a new car cost money, more expensive to insure, etc.

Keeping a car 15 years actually saves you $15-20k instead of buying a new car every 7 years. That's just car wise, insurance etc is even better money saving wise.

So yea I say keep your car (like I will be) and I am sure this car will be a classic since it was only produced 3 years with a new brand.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

top gear did a segment on what makes a car a classic or a collectors.

first off, while it is a scion xa, it is also a toyota ist, and a toyota echo hatchback really.

it has to be rare and highly desirable. people get nostalgic about muscle cars because they of how fuel efficient they were, or old porsches because they were so easy to work on.

think about it, aside from the ae86, are they're any other classic toyota corollas? they old ones got better mpg than the current ones, and can be fixed with a hammer.

just thinking about classic cars that were cheap and quirky...there is the original vw beetle and golf gti's.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

True. But the xB (1st gen) and xA I think will classics.

The ae86 is a classic because of Initial D otherwise our car wont have a great shot at being a classic.

But in my eyes it will be haha
Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tc is a 2005, which means it is the first year it was made. also, it is silver streak mica, which along with IIP was only a color for one year aside from the RS models, so i have a slightly rarer tc than others. will it be a classic...i'll let you know in another few decades.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

my xa turns 6yrs in 2 months and its still running great (knocks on wood) I will keep it until it falls apart or once my new born baby crashes it, which ever comes first lol
Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

im keeping my xA forEVER
Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Drax I see where you are comming from, but the TC is still being made and its all over the streets.

It might be CRX classic or EG hatch / EK hatch classic but the XA/XB were only produced so long and both were quite radical in their design. Especially the xB.

Let's hope all scions become classics in 25 years
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think your average xA will ever make it to collector status but it's one fine money saving ride and I also plan to run mine into the ground,hope to see 200K - 300K before I trade up to a plugin rechargeable/hybrid .
Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same here Matt. Going the plugin/hyrbrid route for my DD once my car dies. As for the Xa I will just get a new engine (450 bucks with around 45k) and just turbo it and make it my fun car weeee haha
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

im with matt.. don't think the average xA would make it, I think the RS1 will be the most expensive IF it becomes a classic, I been looking for one now for 2yrs but not luck
Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I agree - only the RS1 xA will ever attain collector's status. The moon-roof set it apart from every other xA (RS or not) produced since.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default This is hilarious

The xa will NEVER become a collector's item. No, not even the RS. The tC won't be a collector's item either. The original xB actually has some following; it'll probably bottom out at a higher value than the xa and tc, but will not be worth much more than any other econobox. A perfect condition one with low miles might go for a few thousand less than it would cost to restore a regular one.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

I don't think it will ever become a collector's item, hardly any japanese cars do. The only toyota I can really think of is the 2000GT and MAYBE the supra
Old 07-12-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two classes of Japanese collector cars, the ones people want to modify and go fast in, maintaining good values, or the super cars that will actually end up appreciating.

Datsun 510, AE86, 240z, RX-7TT, Supra Turbo, Integra R, NSX, 300zx, 200/240sx, Miata R, 323gtx, CRX si

Oh, and the older Land Cruisers.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to say, "I'll run this car down to the ground..." until my father decided to crash and total my car. So lesson learned. Never let your relatives drive your car.

But on the bright side! My mom and I found the same exact xA. Now I just have to worry about making the rest of the payments of $6,500 for the next two years or so.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xA is a dead car. We are the ones keeping it alive. That is all I think that is will ever be. Most general public xA owners are students or old people both trying to save a buck. Amazing car, seriously underrated even by Toyota. But I think Toyota successfully killed it so far. At least in the USA.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just be glad its not a beige camry
Old 07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
Scikotics
SL Member

I am lucky to have one of the rarest of all Scions ... the xA RS1.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Oni-Haya
I am lucky to have one of the rarest of all Scions ... the xA RS1.
Is it really? Just curious to how many were made? I see two stock RS1's in my Mom's area. I think the 06 SRP with audio control steering wheel is not far from you in rarity

Quick Reply: Scion xA as future collector car