Old 07-19-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djin
Originally Posted by BozzMan
another:

Tint Laws Get Shady In Different Areas

Susan Haggerty says she was visiting her sick aunt in Manhattan when she saw flashing lights in her rearview mirror.

"Police pulled me over, and I thought 'What did I do?' They said 'Could you roll down your back window, because your car has excessive tinted windows and we want to check it.'"

Haggerty said the car had been purchased from a Pennsylvania dealer, with no after-market tint. But that explanation didn't hold much weight compared to the light meter the police placed on the window.

"When they put the meter on it, the meter read 70" Haggerty said. "After that, they said 'It's excessive, so we'll have to give you a ticket for it."

She was given a $40 ticket with a $50 surcharge.

Haggerty contacted Ford to explain and verify the factory tint of her windows.

A Ford representative said: "We can't build vehicles to meet ordinances of any one particular township, city or municipality. It's too bad customers are getting caught in the middle of this when their vehicles meet federal requirements."

And even with a factory regulation tint that Haggerty claims to have, Tsekenis said, "If the police feel it's too dark, they can issue a ticket anyway for their safety."

Haggerty paid the ticket right away, so it may be too late to challenge, but she plans to use the information from Ford to fight it.
Wait so did the police meter read the tint as 70%? If so, that's some really light tint for a $90 fine.

And the cops would still have to explain what I was doing to make them fearful of their safety...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="oldmanatee"]

And even with a factory regulation tint that Haggerty claims to have, Tsekenis said, "If the police feel it's too dark, they can issue a ticket anyway for their safety."
And the cops would still have to explain what I was doing to make them fearful of their safety...
we are getting ever closer and closer to Judge Dredd

the whole basis behind these tint laws are that the police want to see you as they walk up to your car. They are afraid you might roll the window down and shoot them with the gun you're not allowed to have in the first place"
Old 07-20-2006, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

[quote="BozzMan"]
Originally Posted by oldmanatee

we are getting ever closer and closer to Judge Dredd

the whole basis behind these tint laws are that the police want to see you as they walk up to your car. They are afraid you might roll the window down and shoot them with the gun you're not allowed to have in the first place"
When I got pulled over for going 10 over the guy had like a loudspeaker and was sittin in his car "Roll all your windows down and step out of the vehicle with your liscense and registration, proof of insurance" then I had to walk and stand in front of my hatch where he then walked up to me and gave me my ticket, now some people might not like this and complain about it or whatever, but I think this worked out great, no hassle for my 5% tint, and he was making sure that he was safe.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^^that would work for me.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tint guy accidently put 20% on my front windows and I told him that if I get hassled by the cops, then he is redoing them, free of charge. But, if I were to get pulled over I would roll my front windows down before the cop got to the door, lol.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i always get "obstructed view" on my tickets. dont matter how much % i have on my windows.. cant have any on your front windows on city of covina. got a ticket for smoked taillights too.