Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Toyota Matrix vs Scion xA..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Toyota Matrix vs Scion xA..

So I had my mind set up for 2006 Scion xA, and paid 500 deposit...and when the car came, i change my mind to 2007 Toyota Matrix...let me say this, Matrix is so much better, yeah sure its about $2-4000 more expensive, but if you want quality xA, you have to mod it out and with that money, I'd rather get a Toyota Matrix. and Matrix is 07 Model and and xA is 06 Model, and since Scion is doing Pure Price, I don't get any discount..I mean buying 06 Model for pure price? I think that's stupid and xA is dead model also, they aren't going to make xA no more, so that puts down retail value, and I bet i get a whole lot more after 5 years when I'm going to trade in Matrix for something else and plus Matrix looks so much better, faster, bigger and fuel ain't that bad. I'd rather go faster than slow...so yeah with that said when my Matrix comes out in 10 days? i will be sure to put some picture to make all you guys jealous

Peace, homes

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-27-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-16-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1st of all, just because they aren't going to make the xA anymore dosn't meen the retail will go down. Currently the blue book value for 04 and 05 xA's is almost the same if not higher then the retail on a new xA. The Matrix/Pontiac Vibe is also serving it's last year and is getting redisgned for the 08 model. You also don't have to drop 2-4 grand to make a "quality" xA...quality comes standerd with any Toyota vehicle. If you were to wait a month or two, I think Scion would do what they did last year for the 06 models, which is to give you some kind of free stuff with your car. The Matrix is not very much faster than the xA...not very much at all so the whole "rather go fast than slow" thing also isn't gonna' be much better for ya. The xA nor the Matrix are built for speed. I doubt the pics will make anybody "jelous", not like it'll be the 1st time anybodys seen a Matrix but post em up anyways, pics=good.

That being said, enjoy your new ride and I hope this thread helped you feel better about your purchase, cuz I'm not quite sure who your trying to convince.

P.S. Your link to youtube didn't work, but even if it did I don't see what Living dead girl has to do with the Matrix or the xA.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Different strokes for different folks. The Matrix is, indeed, getting redesigned, meaning the value of those before the redesign will drop. The xA is being discontinued, and I believe its' value will increase.

I do like the Matrix and will consider a similar vehicle when I turn 30.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know the Matrix wins in terms of space but how does it fare in gas economy?

p.s. I like the xA's exterior shape better.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

IIRC, the xA is 31 and 38 and the matrix is 28 and 34.

Somewhere around that, but keep in mind. The Matrix is only a Corolla engine, unless they changed it for the 08, and thats not gonna take you much faster than the Echo's engine.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife has an 06 matrix, I believe it has 150 hp as opposed to 100 for the xa. I still like my xA better personally. It's cooler looking IMO, and different than a normal toyota.

I like the wife's car for it's extra get up and go though. Plus you can fit a crapload of stuff in it. It's much like a station wagon for capacity.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The normal Matrix doesn't have 150 HP. That is just in some sport model. I think the normal Matrix has 128 HP.

The Matrix isn't likely faster than the xA since it weighs much more. I think the xA looks better.

The Matrix is alot bigger, and if you want the flexibility of the extra space, then it would be better for you. I don't really agree the Matrix is a good choice for the other reasons you mentioned.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Base and XR = 126-130hp, depending on year.

XRS = 167-180hp, depending on year.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahh okay, well I definitely notice a difference in power with the Matrix vs. the xA, but I still like my xA better... I joke with my wife that I'm gonna steal her Matrix's engine and stick it in my xA :D
Old 10-16-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: TOYOTA MATRIX vs SCION XA

Not to be all "English Major" on you, but damn, how about mixing in some 6th grade spelling on "model" and "jealous"? I know its an internet forum and not a "Pulitzer Thank You Speech", but come on. Getting the spelling of the words somewhat in the correct ball park might make your argument slightly more relevant. Homes. Word.

Originally Posted by gidawg23
so i had my mind set up for 2006 SCION XA, and paid 500 deposit...and when the car came, i change my mind to 2007 TOYOTA MATRIX...let me say this, matrix is so much better, yeah sure its abour 2-4000 expansive, but if you want quality xa, you have to mod it out and with that money, id rather get TOYTA MATRIX...and matrix is 07 modle and and xa is 06 modle, and since scion is doing pure price, i dont get any discount..i mean buying 06 modle for pure price? i think thats stupid and xa is dead modle also, they arent going to make xa no more, so that puts down retail value, and i bet i get a whole lot more after 5 years when im going to trade in matrix for something else and plus matrix looks so much better, faster, bigger and fuel aint that bad...id rather go faster than slow...so yeah with that said when my matrix comes out in 10days? i will be sure to put some picture to make all you guys jealouse

peace homes

.. width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ezcoy-Lz8p4&autoplay=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" enableJavaScript="false" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ezcoy-Lz8p4&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>..>
Old 10-16-2006, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member

Well said waupaca11,
I enjoy this forum but overlooking "Spelling 101" mistakes can be difficult at times.
I can't begin to tell you how many topics of interest I begin reading and they're chock full of spelling / grammatical errors where as it becomes defficult to understand what's being said. Nevertheless I agree with you.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

i personally, enjoy the Xa better as well for obvious reasons...however im thinking about doing an engine swap. Im putting a matrix Xr engine into my Xa. It won't be for a while now, but its something im lookin gat.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had to drive an 06 Matrix while my car was in the body shop and I would have rather been driving an xA. Scions have more of a novelty factor to a point. when was the last time you heard of a Matrix owner getting complements at the gas station. None. at least not while i was driving one. But the day i got my tC back i started getting questions from curious people again. It makes you remember why you drive a Scion.

One thing that i didnt like about the matrix was the ride height. i kept feeling like it was going to roll over if i was going in to hard into a corner.

And talking about fast, neither of them are fast, if you want fast, get a tC. (no offense to the other xA owners)

i guess it all depends on space. if you need the extra space, get the Matrix. If not, i say get the xA
Old 10-16-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

wooooooooooooooooo so many haters XD!!!, man i hope i dont get shot while riding my matrix somewhere...and xa's really small, its like a clown car, some what you see in rodeo and circus...hahahaha, omg that was a good one!! anyways let clear out somethings here, first matrix 07 still have a year to call it a new, and id get twothousand cheaper and xa is dead model, no more xas, but matrix is still to be continue with 08 model, and i use to drive 02 camry, so you know how small xa felt when i got in the car...it was like those penny pony rides at meijers.-_-...and fast is fast, it dosent matter if its fast by 1hp, fast is fast...and this aint no grammer competion or mid term paper, its funny how childish some people are today...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gidawg23
its funny how childish some people are today...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Xa has much better eye appeal........and forum, give the sixteen year old some room to continue to make himself look foolish.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

where is all this hate coming from?? just because i like matrix better, u guys dont have to bull me out man...and my lisence comes out in jan, this matrix isent even my car its my dad's...i just told him that i hate xa and just because scion isent giving the 500 deposite we had to buy something quick, which happend to be matrix and i was okay with that, car looks sporty to me, much better than small xa...and in jan im getting 95-99 mitsu eclipse sooooooo much better than xaa in everyway and u guys are trying to pick a fight with a 16 year old...grow up man...and dont say some bull crap like my taste in car is bad, cause i got good freaking taste on cars, i dont dog out on your taste in car and ur bald hair, and u r paying 12000 on xa...do u even know what u can get with that kind money on used cars?? 97 supra mint condition...well enough said, im gonna go play some SC or CSS...i bet u dont even know what that is cause u guys a so OLD!!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you're still in school have you thought about a basic writing class? Your spelling isn't going to get you very far in the real world.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Somebody lock this crap.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I'd much rather have a tC than a Matrix. . . and that's what I did. I traded my xA in for a tC.

Matrix looks too bland for me. . . plus it's shared with GM. . . ewwwww. If I were going to buy a Matrix I'd just buy a Pontiac Vibe (same car) and save a ton of money (due to incentives, since GM sales are falling like crazy).

Another great alternative to the Matrix is the Mazda 3. It handles better by leaps and bounds.

Quick Reply: Toyota Matrix vs Scion xA..