Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Urgent xA option question....opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default Urgent xA option question....opinions needed

Ok, I have an opinion question for all xA owners...

My car's journey to me is nearing its completion and I have done some last minute thinking.

I 'was' going to include the TRD lowering springs in my list of options at purchase, forsaking the spoiler for cost reasons. But it recently hit me....the spoiler's 'installed' price is less than the springs. $414 to $389 isn't a huge deal really, but when you consider that the springs' price is 2/3 installation cost, it is.

So I was wondering, what would you all choose given the option of a dealer-installed spoiler vs. dealer-installed springs for an initial purchase?

Don't concern yourselves with what springs would be better than the TRD springs because I've seen some choices and honestly, for my ride, the TRD springs are more than adequate. Eventually, I'll have it lowered WITH the spoiler, but for purposes of the initial purchase..

What would you opt for with your cash? A lowered ride or one with a spoiler? For those who need to know about the wheels before they answer.... I'm opting for the 10-spoke, 15" alloys from TRD as well....I just like the look against the color of a Flint xA.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Okay, first of all, don't buy accessories from the factory, goto TRDSparks.com or any other site like it, and buy the parts you want from him, then install it. You'll save ALOT of money.

Secondly, don't waste your money on the Scion alloy wheel upgrade, it's a huge waste of money. Go aftermarket 15", and you will probably save more money. Try tirerack.com to see what the wheels look like on your car.

So moral of the story, don't get the options or accessories when buying your car, buy them from a 3rd party, then put them on.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member

Why are the TRD alloys a waste of money?

And I 'would' go to aftermarket places if they A) had what I wanted and B) could be financed with the cost of the car. If I don't finance my upgrades, I won't be able to afford them. I'd rather get them all at once through the facotry if not for the financing bit but also because anything the dealer or factory puts is covered by their warranty.

Besides, I just looked at tirerack.com and saw all of the options available for the Scion.....call me strange, but I still prefer the TRD 10-spokes. I can't say why...I just like them. For me, they work.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Get the spoiler. The springs can be purchased through finance, but
do not get them put on. They should only be 150-200 that way, and
they are easy to put on.
You should see if your dealer will purchase the after market rims for you
that way they can be financed. Threaten him/her if you have to. They
want to make that sale and want you to tell all your friends.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member

Okay, that's one vote for the spoiler.

Though I'm about the least mechanically inclined person you'll meet so putting the springs on myself isn't really an option...I wouldn't take the chance of screwing it up. Also there's a good chance if I had the intention of doing it myself that it would simply never get done, as I work 6 days a week and wouldn't want to spend the 7th under my car...even if I knew what the hell I was doing.

As for the after market rims....I don't want 'em. I like the TRD rims just fine. They're one of the first kinds of rims I saw and even though I've seen tons of others, I just don't see any I like better. With the overall look I'm going for...the TRD rims are ideal. In fact, the TRD site even used the EXACT right word to describe them....they called them rims with a bit of a 'sci-fi' look. Which, considering the idea I have in mind for my car...that is the perfect descriptor. I'm going for a sort-of Knight Rider meets Jedi look. Knight Rider for the dark, stealthy, sleek of the car and Jedi for the Green LEDs inside and (eventually) green neons underneath.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monkeyninja
I'm going for a sort-of Knight Rider meets Jedi look..
i have the bay watch ewok look for my xA
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member

Well ya know...it sounds goofy to say but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I personally know that the TRD springs (though not as aggressive as other options) have directly saved my life on two occasions.

I've come within inches of a fatal collision on two different occasions, and maneuvered at the absolute limit of the suspension. The extra stability and and lateral grip DIRECTLY contributed to the extra inch or so I needed to escape death. I kid you not.

However the ride is harsh and it sucks. . . if I planned on keeping my car, I would purchase upgraded shocks. But I don't mind the ride so much anymore. . . I'm just glad to be alive. They are two different occasions, and a bit complex to explain, but if you really want the full story, I can tell you. But for now just take my word for it.

But then again, it also depends on whether or not you are sharp enough to make use of the extra handling prowess.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the trd suspension is overpriced , rides like crap and hardly looks any lower.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
the trd suspension is overpriced , rides like crap and hardly looks any lower.
That's basically true. . . not much lower (only about an inch to an inch and a half). It's a pretty choppy ride.

Springs in general are a good purchase for this car, however. I personally went with TRD since I only wanted a mild drop, and the spring rates were less likely to prematurely blow my shocks. However the ride takes a pretty big penalty.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From a senior citizen's point of view, the TRDs exactally fit my needs. 90% of my driving is on twisties prevalant on our back country roads (ridge running LOL) I seldom have to use my breaks in curves that required breaking in other vehicles. And this is with stock tires. This is good!!! A harsher ride over the expansion joints on the interstate is a small price to pay. However, I might have a different opinion if I were still commuting 75 miles per day to work on the Interstate. Basically the choice is up to you and your driving habits. Personally, I think a spoiler on a 100 hp car is like a thong clad 250 lb woman on the beach ........ amusing, but a big waste of time and money!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would go with the spoiler, and after you get in with a club laer have an install day and get some help putting the springs on.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by smokeydog001
From a senior citizen's point of view, the TRDs exactally fit my needs. 90% of my driving is on twisties prevalant on our back country roads (ridge running LOL) I seldom have to use my breaks in curves that required breaking in other vehicles. And this is with stock tires. This is good!!! A harsher ride over the expansion joints on the interstate is a small price to pay. However, I might have a different opinion if I were still commuting 75 miles per day to work on the Interstate. Basically the choice is up to you and your driving habits. Personally, I think a spoiler on a 100 hp car is like a thong clad 250 lb woman on the beach ........ amusing, but a big waste of time and money!
I was pretty much in the same boat. . . and the ride is fine on smooth pavement. . . it's only when you hit potholes, harsh dips, expansion joints, or rough pavement. But when you hit a big bump, you really do feel it.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

don't understand why one would pay crazy install charges to a dealer when you can do it yourself at home. so easy to do.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Go for the spoiler, then get the TRD springs later. I bought mine for $100 on ebay, and installed them myself. I understand the whole finance thing, but surely you can save up to buy $150 springs. (Rather than a $200 or $300 spoiler. (Besides there are better looking spoilers out there.)
Old 01-06-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Get the springs. Enjoy the increase in ride quality (mine improved dramatically after install of the TRD springs) and handling from day 1. The spoiler is cosmetic only. Add that when you have extra cash.

If, for some reason, you DO install springs yourself at a later date, ALIGN THE CAR AFTERWARD! This is very important so that you don't experience premature and uneven tire wear.

-Alex
Old 01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member

How much harsher do the sprngs make the ride? Right now I Have a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart riding on factory upgraded 16" rims and low profile tires....will it be that rough or just kinda bouncy? I can handle bouncy but going over the teeniest lil bump in the Lancer feels like a speed bump on 16's...THAT is a harsh ride. I hate that.

Will the Scion on TRD springs be that bad?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by monkeyninja
How much harsher do the sprngs make the ride? Right now I Have a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart riding on factory upgraded 16" rims and low profile tires....will it be that rough or just kinda bouncy? I can handle bouncy but going over the teeniest lil bump in the Lancer feels like a speed bump on 16's...THAT is a harsh ride. I hate that.

Will the Scion on TRD springs be that bad?
Accounts differ from person to person, but I've ridden in an EVO MR, and it's pretty close in terms of harshness. The ride (in the xA) isn't bouncy at all, but it's sensitive to rough terrain. The problem is that the springs don't work in unison with the OEM shocks, and end up transmitting much of the force onto the car. . . but unlike stiff springs, you don't get the massive increase in roll resistance and handling, but only a marginal one. Changing the springs and shocks would be a far wiser move (for ride quality).

Other springs don't seem to exhibit the same ride properties that the TRD's do. However beware that since they are stiffer (higher spring rate) springs, you are trasmitting even faster movement onto the shocks, which increases the liklihood of premature shock failure. But hey, you can also upgrade the shocks as well on aftermarket springs.

But yeah. . . paying the dealer install price on springs is pretty rediculous. I had mine done later for a measly $60, which was worth saving the hassle. Add $39 for the alignment. . .

Other mods you might consider: TRD clutch, armrest, cruise control
Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

"F" the spoiler. If you can stand the dumbo handling that the stock xa gives ya, then go get the spoiler. I got the TRD springs because
1. I could not stand the body roll(progress rear sway helped aswell)
2. The car will not only look more appealing, but handle better (said that allready)
3. The ride to me is better than stock, not harsh to me (on stock struts)
4. Have never bottomed.

I would get a good feel for your dealership and parts dep, the vibe you get will tell you how far you can go. I have not had a problem with my dealer, and i respect their boundry on what can be done and what cant.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm sticking with my aftermarket philosophy! If you're going to finance some springs or a spoiler, yeah, it'll spread payments over a couple of years. But you'll end up paying more! In fact, you'll end up paying more when you sign. Dealership stuff is overpriced! Tack on APR, and I'd die.

If you want accessories, go aftermarket! If you really, REALLY want to finance through the dealership and have no other choice, I'd go with the spoiler. There are more options for springs elsewhere; less options for spoilers.

-- gg

Quick Reply: Urgent xA option question....opinions needed