Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

xA on order. Now for some nubie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member

Default xA on order. Now for some nubie questions...

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a little while and thought I'd join up. This looks like a great group and I've taken the plunge and just ordered a 5spd 06 xA in Indigo Ink Pearl. It should be here in about 5 weeks which gives me time to get some goodies for it.

The car is a surprise gift for my girlfriend. She is in need of a car and has no idea that I'll be springing this one on her. Don't be hatin' she is a great girl and will appreciate the heck out of it. I've done some searching and still have some questions. Sorry if this post is a little long or the questions are really basic. Scions are new to me (I'm from Canada) and I can't just go to the dealer to ask all my questions. This is what I'll be putting on the car so here goes:

Security System: Scion RS3200

I assume that this is the factory system. I'll be buying it and installing it myself. What I want to be sure of is this the OEM 'plug and play' system or should I be looking for something else?

Center Arm Rest

I see that there are two options here. The one sold in the US and the one from Japan with the center storage compartment. Anyone have some pics of this and what material is the armrest part covered with? Any good sources to buy from?

Auto Dimming Mirror

Anyone have a DIY on the install of this thing or any pics? I could not find anything for an xA from the search function

Trunk Tray

I know about the ist tray from newscionparts.com but are there any other rubber or plastic trays that specifically fit the xA out there?

Aluminum Sport Pedals

Do the OBX pedals sold at the dealer clip right in or is there any drilling or glueing requried?

ist body side molding

Anybody have pics of this on a car? Also where can I get this (other than newscionparts.com)

Lowering Springs

What springs can I buy to lower the car but be as close to stock spring rate as possible? I do not want a harsh ride at all and I prefer to keep the stock shocks.

I guess that's it for now. I really appreciate any feedback and hope to be able to contribute a little myself as I learn more about these cool cars.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Security: Get a different one, not the Scion one. It's essentially useless, especially considering the price.

Armrest: The USDM one is cloth covered. It matches the seats.

OBX Pedals are clip-on, but very secure. no drilling required.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the mildest springs will be Tein H-Techs and Hotchkis, both drop about 1"

get a better security system for sure! go for something that viper make, they're the best and have lots of different models.

auo dimming mirror... haven't ever needed one and I doubt Scion had sold more than 100 in the 3 or so years scions have been on the lot.

dont forget to try www.trdsparks.com for the OEM parts at discount, they may have a trunk tray there too.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Welcome to Scion! Do a search and you can see that there have been several posts about Canadians bringing Scions into Canada. It seems that some of the Canadian Toyota dealers do not want to work on them. I agree that you are better off getting an alarm system from someone other than the dealer. There are a couple of armrests being sold in the US. Look under features and parts and I think you can see some pictures and testimonials. Good luck!!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

as far as auto dimming mirror my moms 05 ford crown vic has one they seem to be more of a gimimik item and i cant see dropping 200 on 1 but to each his own
Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member

2 posts about Scion's security system? What's the problem with the stock security?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im happy with my Scion RKE alarm system, It may not be a viper but it works for me.

I was looking at the installation instructions for the dimming rear view mirror and it seems to have 3 garage door openers built into it. Something called "Homelink". Is this true? Does anyone have the mirror?

kms2112
Old 06-21-2006, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

The mirror does have Homelink on it and it is something that is not widely advertised. I have it on my Mercedes and it allows you to program your garage door opener into hte mirror. It is a handy option and the main reason for me wanting the auto dimming mirror.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock security settings sux, you can basically do everything but break the glass and it wont go off, I seriously believe that someone could leave a dent in your car and the alarm wouldn't go off. There is a way to tweak it up... tomas had a post somewhere about how to do it....
Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

get aftermarket security..yeeii yeeeii
Old 06-21-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the Scion RKE alarm system is plug and play, I would not let a joe smuckatelly and his henchman shop hack my wiring harness. But thats my 2 pyreals. These cars are not on the most stolen list. So why spend the $ on a system that is not needed. My dealer installed for $375 with tax.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you all for the replies thus far. Over the past day I did a little digging and came to some conclusions:

The OEM alarm is all I need. In fact the alarm is a bonus and all I really care for is the remote keyless entry. Call me silly but I also like the Scion remote that matches the key.

The OEM center arm rest is all I need and the extra storage from the JDM one does not warrant the price.

The Auto dimming mirror should be an easy install and I'll worry about it once I have it. Yes it is a gimmick but I like the compass, extra map lights and Homelink.

The only tray I found with an OEM fit is the JDM ist tray. Really steep at $119 for it so I have opted for the OEM carpet mat. Heck I can replace it 4 times before reaching the price of the tray.

OBX silver pedals it is. It is nice that they clip right in and the silver ones won't show so much wear when the annodizing wears off them.

Tein H springs seem to be the way to go. A subtle lower without a greatly increased spring rate.

Now the kicker is the JDM ist side molding. I can't find a pic of it installed ANYWHERE. I checked all 20 pages of the galery section and Googled ist images with no luck. If anyone has a pic of the ist door molding installed, please post it. I would really appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's new guy with an Ist in Europe, https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124629 , I think if you can pm him he might be able to find an Ist over there with the side molding.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nuvolari
Now the kicker is the JDM ist side molding. I can't find a pic of it installed ANYWHERE. I checked all 20 pages of the galery section and Googled ist images with no luck. If anyone has a pic of the ist door molding installed, please post it. I would really appreciate it.

sorry.. all i've found:

http://www.myautofashion.com/istsimopr.html
Old 06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to post a photo install when I get my iST door mouldings. I figure these cars are pretty prone to door dings without them and hopefully I'll be able to save some xA owners a headache or two.