Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

XA/XB vs.Cooper S, dream on dude!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default Look at the pioneer XB

has anyone seen crazy body work done to the cooper?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just jumped camp from the MINI Cooper S to the Scion. Once the throttle drops all the boltons in the world arent bring that Cooper S back!

The Cooper S motor is a completely different animal than the stock Cooper. It had forged crank/rods and different pistons to lower the compression ratio. That said with minor mods you're in the low 14s in the quarter. I paid MSRP. The reliabiliy issues are all true (atleast in my case).

They're both cool little cars with different target markets. I dont think I've ever looked in the performance forum here but I lived in it over on the mini boards. I think these two (three?) can coexist without comparison

--
Cheese

EDIT: Whataya know, this post is in the performance forum. I clicked on it on the main page
Old 03-26-2004, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think most of you miss the point the XB is more fun to drive . Has more room for your pasangers. And looks better in my opinion . Better gas milage by far. So what else do you need. Well power but that takes away from gas milage and reliability . I do not want something sitting in my driveway because I cannot afford gas to drive it.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member

i know, this car was meant for fun, but wasn't that what the cooper was meant for until mini saw potential to create the S.

maybe toyota might see potential in the xb, maybe call it a xb-s or a xb R or a xb gts etc....
Old 03-26-2004, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by digidj
I think most of you miss the point the XB is more fun to drive . Has more room for your pasangers. And looks better in my opinion . Better gas milage by far. So what else do you need. Well power but that takes away from gas milage and reliability . I do not want something sitting in my driveway because I cannot afford gas to drive it.

its more fun to drive because the suspension is worse or because it has less power?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:38 PM
obz
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jackmott

its more fun to drive because the suspension is worse or because it has less power?
HAHAHA!! Mini's are great little and I emphasize "little" cars. My sister has one and I've got my xB. The xB is a much more comfortable ride (afterall the mini is just a BMW with different decals, and I don't know of one BMW that is at the peak of comfort).
Old 03-27-2004, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by randode
my mom has a Mini with an automatic trans and my stock xB 5 speed kills it.

dude...you race your mom....honestly, what do you expect
Old 03-27-2004, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what does comfort mean to you?

Originally Posted by obz

HAHAHA!! Mini's are great little and I emphasize "little" cars. My sister has one and I've got my xB. The xB is a much more comfortable ride (afterall the mini is just a BMW with different decals, and I don't know of one BMW that is at the peak of comfort).
Old 03-27-2004, 01:25 AM
obz
5 Year Member
SL Member

My sister's mini has leather and stuff inside. I like nice "cushy" seats. Here seats are anything but that. They're pretty stiff feeling and don't give much when you go to sit down. There's no real good arm rest in the car, even on the door it's hard to put your arm on that arm rest, though I don't give very big props on the arm rest in the scion.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default looks good

I have to say that the mini's interior is very nicely done, especially when it comes to the color schemes... Especially that multi colored brown one... And the stiching looks good...
Old 03-28-2004, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've driven all 4 MC MCS xA and xB

I think the MC and MCS are more comfortable... the xB is an upright where the MC is a recline...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can guess which one is the stock Scion xB and which one is a 19% reduction pulley MCS.

--
Cheese
Old 03-30-2004, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default heh heh

you know that Scions could recline too...
Old 03-30-2004, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: heh heh

as a taller person
I wish the seat of the scion wasnt 8 feet up in the air

=)

I bet handling would improve noticeably if my 200 pound body was 4 inches lower

Originally Posted by Djuan
you know that Scions could recline too...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the mini vs STI race referred to earlier in this thread.

I hear the mini lost

UPDATE: upon further investigation, the mini ended up having to run on crappy street tires because he couldnt locate the toyo race tires he normally uses.

either way, apparently some other guy there in a stock STI got better times than either driver in the challenge

=)
Old 03-30-2004, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default but better luck next time to the mini guy...

somehow I'm not surprised, those STi's are monsters... same with the lancer EVO's... but better luck next time to the mini guy...
Old 04-04-2004, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I drive a Polar White xB and my wife has a red Mini with a Union Jack on top. We must have the two most interesting cars in our neighborhood. I have two children, with a third on the way, and there was no way in hell we were going to get a minivan or gas-guzzling SUV.

Anyhow, having driven both cars, the Mini definitely feels more solid and planted on the road. But, it's very small inside and the front windshield is low and far-forward so that a tall guy like me (6') has to lean forward and down at an intersection to see when the light changes. Still, it's an excellent car in terms of handling.

While the xB may not be as good as the Mini in terms of handling, that doesn't mean it's not great--which it is. I'm still waiting on my sway bars but even without them the xB hardly leans at all when taking off-ramps from the highway at fast speeds. :twisted:
Old 04-06-2004, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the mini vs STI race referred to earlier in this thread.

I hear the mini lost

UPDATE: upon further investigation, the mini ended up having to run on crappy street tires because he couldnt locate the toyo race tires he normally uses.

either way, apparently some other guy there in a stock STI got better times than either driver in the challenge

=)
Actually... the STi was far from stock by the time it hit the track.
The MCS did have a delamination problem with it's tires.
The final numbers were only 4/100's of a second apart.
The MCS driver had the tire delaminate just prior to the final run... these were NEW tires. Don't buy Kuhmo.
so he adjusted his driving to prevent an accident.

The MCS motor was pretty much stock. 180hp
The modded STi (which was supposed to remain stock as per the challenge) had nearly 380hp.

So for such a high hp he got a weak time comparatively.

The MCS's best time was 1:37
The STi's best was 1:42 (which was also the final time)

It's one of those things that will go to a re-match.

On the other hand... anyone in SOCAL, xA, have the desire to challenge a MC to the same conditions? Willow Springs... xA vs MC?

I've got the track, the time, the discounts. If this is something we are all interested in, I can get us all a SWEET group discount and possibly more than a segment of time trials... Can we say... car vs car track time... race? Once session dedicated to Scions and Mini's Or if there enough... 2 sessions.... all Scion or all Mini or both.

Lets do this thing
Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think me in my modded XA vs a stock cooper on similar tires would be a fun race.

if anyone would be interested in that let me know. just toss me an email

I should also have a track prepped bmw 325i ready shortly that I could maybe bring along as well.

jmott@houston.rr.com
Old 04-06-2004, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I can take a Cooper S.

Andrew

Quick Reply: XA/XB vs.Cooper S, dream on dude!