Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

06 xB injen intake install problems (not vsv) need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member

Default 06 xB injen intake install problems (not vsv) need help!

I had really hoped that because this was my first engine related mod to the xB that it would go smootlhly, alas it was not to be. I corrected the problem listed below regarding the vsv mount and had to move the battery more than they say but now I am running into a problem where the intake is right up against the throttle body but it does not fit on far enough that the mounting bracket on the side of the intake can reach the rubber piece next to the battery that you mount it on. I can't push it back onto the throttle body anymore than it is already. I also have had to push the filter on over the lip on the other end of the intake so that it clears the foglights. Anyone have any similiar problems and hopefully solutions. I will try and take pics if I can in a bit but here are some pics at the bottom link that might help.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help as I just want to put my car back together but don't want to reinstall the factory airbox so its undriveable until i figure this out.

This is the vsv related thread that ProShopxB put together in case you want
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...355&highlight=

For reference this web site has some install pics, the 2nd one from the bottom on the left shows the bracket i am talking about. It is in the upper right and sits right next to the battery.
http://store.racinglab.com/20scxbinairi.html
Old 06-15-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me sum this up, if I have read this correctly and please corect me if im wrong.
The bolt that holds the mount for the intake is closer to the TB, than it should be. And you cant shove the intake any further into the hose that goes on the TB, so that the mounting bracket will line up.
How much before the mount lines up, Millimeters or inches?
Do the pics on the website listed above or the How to on YDR intake install on here, look exactly the same as your underhood, battery tray, etc?
Or are there changes?
When was your xB produced, month and Year?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member

Proshop that about sums it up... the mount is about an inch away from the screw that sticks out of the rubber dampener but the metal on the throttle body is literrally up against the intake so there is no room to move it. The layout looks pretty much like the one on that install page as far as I can see the only difference being that they don't seem to have the battery tray that I do but the hole where that rubber dampener/mount screws into looks at about the same place.

My xB had to be one of the early 2006 production runs as i picked it up in late october last year. I can get the vin and figure it out as soon as I find a flashlight to go back outside....

Thanks for the help...
Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichsNewBox
Proshop that about sums it up... the mount is about an inch away from the screw that sticks out of the rubber dampener but the metal on the throttle body is literrally up against the intake so there is no room to move it. The layout looks pretty much like the one on that install page as far as I can see the only difference being that they don't seem to have the battery tray that I do but the hole where that rubber dampener/mount screws into looks at about the same place.

My xB had to be one of the early 2006 production runs as i picked it up in late october last year. I can get the vin and figure it out as soon as I find a flashlight to go back outside....

Thanks for the help...
I got mine at the same time so it should be the same.
Does yours look like this?

It's from the YDR install tech thread.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77523
Sounds like your bumper/mount is in the wrong hole(if thats possible), or possibly somthing changed on yours. I'll get back to you, im still thinking what else it could be.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member

I'd appreciate any insight you have and yea everything pretty much looks the same except that it looks like the mount near the battery is maybe an inch farther toward the filter and the filter itself is an inch farther into the front bumper foglight area (hence my problem with it pushing against the foglight). I would have assumed some kind of manufacturing error that made the intake a tad too long one the end that connects to the tb but the maf mount pushes right up to the rubber hose just like in the pics in the ydr thread??

On my end I was trying to make a little more room to work and to take the intake in and out so I removed the front bumper and tried to force it any even a tad more since that way I could push it straight on and I can't get it any less than maybe a half inch away with the rubber mount bent as much as i could at the time. I have a feeling that maybe I can bend the rubber mount enough to slide the bolt through at an angle but I don't know if I really want to do that as im sure that could cause problems later if it isnt secured right.

I may try to force it tomorrow just so I can drive it tomorrow to get to work but if there is a better solution I will do that instead.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This may be kinda backyard enginering, but you could always drill a new hole for the bumper mount bolt. That would atleast get it secured so you could drive until you can find the real problem or make the new hole a permanent fix, by adding a nut under the bolt to secure it. Maybe tommorow will yeild more advice or you could call Injen for Tech help. Good luck and I'll keep thinking.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks or the advice... I actually did end up drilling a new hole just slightly to the right of the old hole and got that secured but now that I put my bumper back on the filter is pushing the fog light out slightly and making it vibrate with the intake and I'm sure that means more blown bulbs due to vibration. I don't think you have foglights from your pics but I was curious if you or anyone else was aware of a problem with foglights and the injen?
Old 06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichsNewBox
Thanks or the advice... I actually did end up drilling a new hole just slightly to the right of the old hole and got that secured but now that I put my bumper back on the filter is pushing the fog light out slightly and making it vibrate with the intake and I'm sure that means more blown bulbs due to vibration. I don't think you have foglights from your pics but I was curious if you or anyone else was aware of a problem with foglights and the injen?
Yeah I don't have fog lights, but I think when I read the Tech article it talked about it being a tight squezze with the fogs in, but it was possible to do. If you have to, just remove that fog light until you get more time to trouble shoot the problem out. Keep us updated on what you find.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go to any auto store and go to the "APC section"(<--where they sell all the DIY intake parts), and you'll find the same kind of rubberized tubing that is included with the Injen-the same as what connects to the throttle body. Just get one thats a little longer, cut it down to size if necessary- and you'll be fixed.
Maybe they gave you a piece that was too short, or something. I have the Injen, and had no problems with the install. I have an '04, but I wasn't aware of any differences in the engine bay.