Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1ND-TV Diesel/Hydrogen-powered xB1

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 1ND-TV Diesel/Hydrogen-powered xB1

Yeah, another engine swap thread. I found the "POssible engine swap" thread, and it just seemed like it devolved into putting some ungainly motors into the engine bay. Not what I need.

Anyway, my tC is too thirsty with it's 27mpg. Also, I get visibly upset whenever I just wash it and then run into unfavorable weather/road conditions, which is a lot. So, I want just a little beater box. Except I want, you know, great gas mileage. And I mean great.

Like diesel great.

And, you know, something that still gives it that unique touch, even if it might be a beater box. So, enter the 1ND-TV. It's a JDM/EUDM turbo straight-4 diesel that they shoved into the Yaris and the Corolla. Since the 1NZ-FE fits into the Yaris, and the 1ND does as well, I can't imagine there would be too much of a hassle to make it work, if I could find one. And with getting 58mpg, I have motivation.

The problem I found in the old thread (and really the only useful thing I could garner from it, which is why I made a new thread) is making it legal. If I found a motor circa 2002 (somehow), and shoved it into a box (somehow), what would be stopping me from making it legal? I just need it to be legal in MO.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

At that point, why not just get a hybrid?
27 isn't too bad on the tC.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not want a used hybrid. Inheriting their maintenance schedules are something I would not enjoy. Also there's that whole thing about cumulative effect on the environment that dissuades the (slight) environmentalist in me.

27mpg isn't bad for a tC, no... but
a) I want a daily driver that can give me at the very least 38mpg
b) my tC is becoming less and less of a daily driver

I want a diesel daily beater car, and something about the box intrigues me. I'm just trying to figure out the legalities in combining the two, and figuring out if it's even possible legal-wise first. Then I'll worry about the practicality and the logistics.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to make it legal is has to be the same year motor as the car, and offered by the same manufacturer. you'd also have to retain all the same smog equipment, (including ECU.. i dont think a piggy back/or universal harness will work).. though i like your idea alot, and engine swap for this car especially a diesel, (imagine a box with alot of Torque).. let me know how this goes..

id like to put a TT Ford 4-valve 4.6L cobra motor and convert it to rear wheel drive (if gas prices wasnt raping me, and if i lived somewhere other then california).. but thats just a dream.. nothing will ever come of it.. can you imagine 1100 hp xb...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the money you spend on doing a swap to increase economy can be spent else where. if you'd like, pm me about anything you want to know about using a hydroxi generator to increase your economy. the difference would be about $1,500 for all the parts plus maybe a bit more for the machining work compared to several thousand dollars doing a swap and dealing with emission hassles.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM'd. A Google search tells me that what you say, Winter, is equally as effective and awesome as what I'm looking for.

Judging by eBay UK, I can expect to pay about £4000 right now, or about $8000. If I get serious, I can probably do some shopping for a car that's half that. And then it's a matter of a quick phone call for what I plan on doing, $300 for the guy to take it to a salvage yard, probably another $500 to have them take the engine out, and $1750 to ship it over here.

So best case scenario, just for a used diesel engine in a box, I'm looking at about $6500.