Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1NZ-FXE transplant into Scion xA

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 1NZ-FXE transplant into Scion xA

Im the proud owner of a 04 Scion xA for 2 years already, i am also a owner of a 2001 and a 2005 Toyota Prius, both of which are remarkable pieces of engineering, the Prius's have a 1NZ-FXE engine, basically a Atkinson cycle version of the 1NZ-FE used in the Scion xA, Scion xB, Yaris, and Echo. Im wondering, if i bolt on a starter and alternator ( i have worked on the 1NZ-FXE block and found it is exactly the same as the 1NZ-FE minus a offset crankshaft ) to the 1NZ-FXE engine, one thing im not sure is the throttle body and such. This sounds like a rant, it would be nice to have a very quiet scion xA engine. Both prius's i bought have been salvaged and then rebuilt.

I also wonder if the Prius intake manifold and throttle body would work on the xA stock engine, i know it uses the same mass airflow sensor, but the prius uses a drive by wire system, unlike my 04 xA, maybe the 06 xA with drive by wire uses the same throttle control sensor and wiring like the Prius, they both share a lot of similar parts.

Any comments, im ranting it hink

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-02-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

'06 xA is not drive-by-wire, FYI... it's still old-school cable-actuated. :D
Old 10-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Ed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting idea,but why downgrade to a lower HP engine?
I just started reading about it and apparently the atkinson cycle is utilized on the Prius engine to detune power. I do like the non-offset crank though,are the cylinder heads interchangeable? Sounds like a better base to start with for anyone planning on building an engine with aftermarket interrnals.
PM me back,I'd like to pick your brain about this FXE engine I won't be an xB owner very soon but I've built big-HP 4-cylinders before.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aboout the heads i believe they are a 13.5:1 compression and interchangeable if i remember correcctlly
Old 10-03-2006, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Not to hijack this, but did you rebuild the salvaged Prius yourself?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Ed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by metal112524
aboout the heads i believe they are a 13.5:1 compression and interchangeable if i remember correcctlly
13:1 on Toyota's website,but I've read 13.5 in another...maybe older ones were higher.

I'm looking at a cutout illustration of the engine,the crank still looks offset to me...

It's from an article written in 2002
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats good
Im think about use the short block of the prius with the head of my scion
and see what happen??????????????????????????
Old 10-04-2006, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry bout the miss information, just a noob after all.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the 1nz part describes the block and crank...
this means it will use an offset crank in both applications...

here is more about the motors...
Toyota NZ engine
The Toyota NZ engine family is a straight-4 piston engine series. The 1NZ series uses aluminum engine blocks and DOHC cylinder heads. It also uses SFI fuel injection, and has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT-i.

1NZ-FXE
The 1NZ-FXE is the earliest 1.5 L (1496 cc) version built in Japan. Bore is 75 mm and stroke is 84.7 mm. It features forged steel connecting rods and a plastic composite intake manifold. The engine has a high physical compression ratio of 13.0:1, but the inlet valve closing is retarded. The net result is that the engine has a greater effective expansion than compression – making it Atkinson cycle, rather than the conventional Otto cycle.

The reduction in cylinder charge means reduced torque and power output, but efficiency is increased. This combination makes the 1NZ-FXE suitable for use with the Hybrid Synergy Drive, where peak torque and power demands can be met by the electric motor and battery. Output is 76 hp (57 kW) at 5000 RPM with 85 ft·lbf (115 N·m) of torque at 4000 RPM.

Applications:

Toyota Prius
The 1NZ-FXE Hybrid Synergy Drive in the Toyota Prius has won several International Engine of the Year awards:

Best Eco-friendly 2000
Best Eco-friendly 2001
Best New Engine 2004
Best Fuel Economy 2004
Best 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre 2004
International Engine of the Year 2004
Best Fuel Economy 2005
Best 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre 2005
Best Fuel Economy 2006
Best 1.4-litre to 1.8-litre 2006

1NZ-FE
The 1NZ-FE is a conventional Otto cycle variant of the 1NZ-FXE. It has the same bore and stroke, but the compression ratio is lowered to 10.5:1, and it features VVT-i. Output is 107 hp (80 kW) at 6000 RPM with 103 ft·lbf (140 N·m) of torque at 4200 RPM.

Applications:

Toyota Yaris/Echo
Scion xA
Scion xB
Toyota Vios
Toyota Raum
Old 10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

and here...

1NZ-FXE ENGINE

ENGINE OUTLINE
The Prius uses the 1NZ-FXE, a 1.5-liter gasoline engine that has been newly developed for hybrid system application. It is an inline 4-cylinder, chain-driven 4-valve (2 intake and 2 exhaust valves per cylinder) DOHC engine. This engine has adopted the VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) system, the high-expansion ratio Atkinson cycle, the offset crankshaft, and the use of two 02 sensors. In addition, weight reduction and low-friction measures have been applied to its moving parts in order to achieve an extremely low fuel consumption rate, low exhaust emissions, weight reduction, a compact shape, low vibrations, and low noise levels. This engine complies with the "1998 Exhaust Gas Emission Regulations".
Old 10-04-2006, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So dghotlava...

Is the combustion chamber of the FXE head smaller than the combustion chamber of the FE head? Or is the higher compression ratio achieved strictly with the rod and piston assembly?

I really think that the combination Masafina mentioned really could be a key to getting considerably more power without spending a lot of money. Then again, valve clearance could be a serious issue. Someone needs to go out on a limb and give this a shot. Heck you can get a complete 1NZ-FXE that runs for less than a set of 11:1 pistons.

And I assume that crank is similar between the two motors? Meaning the Atkinson cycle is achieved through the head design and VVT-i?

I dunno. I am probably way over my head in all of this stuff. I would still love to know the interchangeability between the two motors.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the compression (as i know it) is achieved by rings and piston dome height. the rods and such are exactly the same...
the atkinson seems to use the same head just different cams. these cams keep the intake valves open (or retard the closing) during compression.

the only thing you could poss. want to cross over is the piston head (for higher compression) in a NA motor.

most people want to lower the compression so they can run boost.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I understand the lower compression for running boost. I am thinking more of a budget platform for naturally aspirated power.

If what you are saying is correct, the budget combination of the 1NZ-FXE bottom end with a 1NZ-FE head could be the answer to cheap n/a power. This is assuming that the heads are identical, save for the cams and VVT-i settings. If there are no valve clearance issues you have the makings for one mean n/a 1NZ. You could easily end up as the most powerful, and one of the cheapest built n/a boxes anywhere.

Shoot, Killerxromances made 128 hp and 138 ft./lbs. on 11:1 pistons. I could only imagine where 13:1 would put you. Of course it would require some pretty good tuning to make it happen. But the parts would be very reasonable compared to other options (including forced induction).

As I see it though, the biggest concern would be those 13:1 pistons actually seeing the 13:1 compression for the first time. (Not seeing a reduced compression ration due to the Atkinson cycle.) Being as they are cast, this could be asking for trouble. Then again even running only 6psi of boost the factory cast pistons in the 1NZ-FE are seeing more than 14:1 effective compression ratio. I guess then the issue is making sure the car would still be streetable on 91 octane fuel.

Don't mind me though. I don't even own my own xB yet. (Only have the wife's to play with.) Just have all those squeaky gears in my head turning.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i would get the fxe and swap in a fe head(or cams)...that would work...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why is the crank shaft off centered for?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

to reduce stess and fricton in the power stroke...
this will optimize the power output.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed DG...

If the heads are identical (combustion chamber, valves, etc.) save for the cams, a simple cam swap (to the FE cams) when you dropped in a 1NZ-FXE could do the trick. Then it is just a matter of tuning. I am sure the stock ecu would crap out the first time you tried to start the car. But toss in some e-manage ultimate and a little tuning and you should be good to go.

You would probably be money ahead to just do a head swap vs. the cams though. Cams would probably have to come from Toyota. A good used head could be picked up from a recycler for $200. Slap that thing on top of a $450 1NZ-FXE, toss in $700 worth of e-manage ultimate, stir in $1000 worth of labor and tuning and you could be making some pretty respectable power for about the same price as the parts to do forced induction.

OK... somebody jump on this!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

this all sounds very intriguing... wish i was more 'go' oreinted than 'show'.... still watchin tho to see what ya'll come up with
Old 10-05-2006, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Agreed DG...

If the heads are identical (combustion chamber, valves, etc.) save for the cams, a simple cam swap (to the FE cams) when you dropped in a 1NZ-FXE could do the trick. Then it is just a matter of tuning. I am sure the stock ecu would crap out the first time you tried to start the car. But toss in some e-manage ultimate and a little tuning and you should be good to go.

You would probably be money ahead to just do a head swap vs. the cams though. Cams would probably have to come from Toyota. A good used head could be picked up from a recycler for $200. Slap that thing on top of a $450 1NZ-FXE, toss in $700 worth of e-manage ultimate, stir in $1000 worth of labor and tuning and you could be making some pretty respectable power for about the same price as the parts to do forced induction.

OK... somebody jump on this!

...and you'll detonate like hell because of the compression ratio! 13:1 will require like 98+ octane.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^ how do you figure?
it already runs on the FXE with pump gas.
changing to the otto cycle will should not effect it that badly.

Quick Reply: 1NZ-FXE transplant into Scion xA