Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1ZZ-FE swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 1ZZ-FE swap

Before i get reemed out for presenting a topic which has been discused multiple times, allow me to apologize. I am very capable of using the search button and furthermore i am also capable of reading through the numerous useless pages of people repeatedly saying "swaps would be nice." Or how about, "it cant be done because i drew a picture on my etch-a-sketch and the motor didnt fit."

What i would like to do is to start a thread with usefull information pertaining to the topic of swapping a 1ZZ-FE into an egg or box.

One of the reasons i am not requesting information on the 2ZZ-FE is due to its lack of availability and legality by swapping into a 05+ model.

I would really like evryone to include some detailed information regarding the swap itself. Not wether you personally feel the swap is cost effective, or if there are better less legal ways to go about producing power in this tiny car. I have read through to many pointless pages of evryone bashing evryone and not a whole lot getting done. So can we please get some info together.

I have access to multiple corollas and scions alike to compare measurements and so forth, so who wants to get us started?

I really want to make this swap work and im sure there are many others who do as well so lets start working together and plot out EXACTLY what needs to be done.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and here is some of the info ive managed to find on the 1ZZ-FE so far for those of you who are not familliar with the engine found in the Corolla.

"The 1ZZ-FE produces 107 kW (145 hp) at 6400 rpm and 170 N•m (125 lb•ft) torque at 4200 rpm on a 10.0:1 compression ratio with regular-grade unleaded gasoline."

"The 1ZZ-FE's aluminum block has cast-in gray iron liners, which are 2.0 mm (0.08 in) thick, leaving 8.5 mm (0.33 in) of metal between cylinders. The engine has a long stroke of 91.5 mm (3.60 in) relative to the 79-mm (3.11-in) bore, obtaining a total displacement of 1794 cm3. Measuring 639 mm (25.2 in) long, 586 mm (23.1 in) wide, and 632 mm (24.9) tall, the 1ZZ-FE is about 25 mm (1 in) shorter than Toyota's own 4A 1.6-L unit. It has a mass of 102 kg (225 lb)."

"Dual overhead camshafts are driven by a single-stage silent chain of 8.0-mm (0.3-in) pitch in both engines. The 1ZZ-FE's camshafts act on four valves per cylinder via shimless bucket-type tappets. The new upright intake port design allows a narrow valve included angle of 33.1°. Valve diameters are 32.0 mm (1.26 in) for intake and 27.5 mm (1.08 in) for exhaust, and their lifts are 9.3 and 8.4 mm (0.37 and 0.33 in), respectively. The 1ZZ-FE adopts Toyota's VVT-i vane-type continuously variable intake valve timing system."

...so heres a start on some specs. The 1nzfe specs can be found on the sticky of this section.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

So how does the physical dimensions compare to the present engine? Will it's size allow it to fit? What trans options would go along with a swap like this?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

the 1zz WILL work with some lovin i personally have one in the corner of my shop partially tore down and have done side by side views of both motors...the mounts are almost identical but for sure will need some custom work...youll also need a 1zz ECU & maybe a MAF not sure if its at a different flow rating than ours
Old 11-14-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

what kinda custom work, if itll fit i can do the work myself.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks for the useful topic. I really want to swap just wondering where to buy a decent 1zz.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i have read and actually found usefull, evryone claims if you use the 6spd trans from the 2zzfe you need to do extensive frame rail modification, on the otherhand if you use the 5spd equipped corolla trans there is virtually no modifications to the frames, but once again this is all from sources who have not attempted the swap.

*You will def. need the ECU from the 1zzfe along with the harness. I just looked up the xa ecu connectors vs. the corollas and there not even close, nor is the actual wiring

*Finding a shifter to work with this setup may also present a problem. I supose you could use the regular xa/xb shifter but you would most likely need to fabricate some custom linkage.

...is there any way that you could take some measurements from mount to mount and height/ width etc. DeviousXA?
Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As for the Corolla trans linkage, they use the same system of cables and shifter as we in the xa/xb do. so no modification there

now, the wiring harness can be found from the same auto that you get the donated engine from. The harness you need runs thru the passengers side fire wall to J-Box 4( thats junction Box 4) on the passenger side kick plate. You'll also need the harness that is connected to the underside of the dash, and the ecu of course.

hope this gives you all some help.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my only concer would be getting evrything to run off the corolla ecu such as the gauge cluster and etc....but frogbox is def. right about just grabbin the harness from the donor car. it just will need some modification
Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by whatmovesu
thanks for the useful topic. I really want to swap just wondering where to buy a decent 1zz.
In order to do this swap it sounds like you would need a complete donor vehicle. Maybe buy it from an auction or junkyard as a whole and then strip all the stuff needed. Plus if it works you could sell your original drivetrain to help offset the cost of the swap. I may do this later after the xB gets some more miles on her. It would be very nice to go faster and get better MPGs.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thank you so I am looking for an 03 or 04 corolla or matrix motor since the TRD supercharger is avail.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

what about auto to auto?

still a 130 hp auto xb would still be good lol
Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciontuner
what about auto to auto?

still a 130 hp auto xb would still be good lol
Auto to auto would be great. It'd be like adding the supercharger to the xB motor.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to bad im worried about legality cuz otherwise id do this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, thats it im fed up.

I have read practicly EVRY post on the net about this swap and how noone has done it. So...with that being said i am going to just jump into it head first. I have decided to go the 1zzfe with the TRD supercharger and minimal TRD bolt-ons. I am also researching the Levin 6spd with factory LSD for my trans, we will wait and see on that part. Regardless i will keep you all posted very closely on the buildup. I will be going to check for a motor tomorow as it is my day off and i am searching for an 05 with somewhere between 25-28k miles to be as close to my odometer as possible. Might not be the cheapest route, but this is a purpose built car for next years sema show and i dont feel like cutting any corners.

...oh and ive got a reputable company looking into mounts as we speek
Keep ya posted, so wish me luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

legality schmegality, if you have connections anythings legal, or just keep your stock motor to reswap. bfurches if you do this i will praise you like a GOD! but you must teach me how also
Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

would a 2z even fit? anyway?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought the 05 motor was drive by wire. I know the 03 and 04 drive by cable. I didn't know the TRD SC is out for the 05.

Good luck bfurches as soon as I can find and afford a front clip I am also all over it I agree with you enough talk.

Look at the honda fit less than 6 months the fit has a K24 swap with mods pushing 280+ hp. What have I seen from the scion community nothing but hot air.

If you get this done you will have my upmost respect
Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

http://www.spyderchat.com/enginedetail.htm

some tidbits on the motor

now another question i have, why is the 2zz-ge so much harder? isnt it the same size motor with pretty close to the same displacement? much like the Honda LS motor vs the honda GSR 1.8 litre motors? itd sure be nice to have VVTL-I scion.

but on the other hand people with celicas etc etc have said the 1zz is a better alla round motor as the 2zz is sort of a dog till higher RPM and the 1zz has better drie-ability

just some food for thought
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

when I was hanging with the matrix scene the street races against 1zz with sc actually beat 2zz (I/H/E mods only)

Quick Reply: 1ZZ-FE swap