Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

1ZZ-FE swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres the thing,
the 1zz and 2zz are the SAME motor, its simply a different head assembly. Personally i prefer the 1zz any day of the weak due to less of a chance of valve float
..as far as would it fit, yes if the 1zz fit (you may have hood clearance issues though as i believe the 2zz may be an inch or so taller due to different head/ valve cover design.
Thanks for the intrest im on my way out the door right now to go look at a corolla
Old 11-15-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Please take some pics of the donor car
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oooo i think ima listen in on this one until i have a question
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well heres the deal so far,

it's kinda been a day of disapointment. Two of the three salvage yards i went to claimed that they had 05+ corollas (yet they forgot to mention none of them had motors).

The closest i came was an 02 with documentation of 43k miles for 300$, but not good enough for me i will continue to hunt. (plus the 02 had the cast manifold vs the newer plastic style)

...I also got the quote on the subframe modifications necisary and weve got some very good ideas of how were going to make this work
Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.car-part.com is your friend. I did a search for an '05 Corolla 1ZZFE in the Northeast.

For $600 you can get a 2005 motor with less than 24,000. For $750 you can get a 12,000 mile 2005 motor. Just to give you an idea.

I am sure if you keep searching you will find exactly what you need.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the great site!

I managed to find quite a few good candidates and i will be going to check out some of these motors. My biggest concern is that some of these yards claim "12k-25k miles," yet for whatever reason they cant provide me with paperwork or at least leav the motor in the car until i get there to see for myself

i will not setle until i have an 05 motor with paperwork to back the mileage....but i know i will get one

...now transmission on the other hand. I believe i am going to be using the levin 6spd with a TRD LSD. I have not completely decided yet and i still am researching the compatibility of this trans/ motor comb.

p.s. has anyone completed a sucessful 1zz/2zz swap into an xa/xb that has proof? Just curious
Old 11-17-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

LKQ recycled auto parts is a GREAT company to deal with they provide documentation on the motors and offer an extended warranty at a very small cost heres the link: http://www.lkqcorp.com/
Old 11-17-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

GOod Luck b! Glad to see someone here doing something about the power shortage of the xA.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciontuner
now another question i have, why is the 2zz-ge so much harder? isnt it the same size motor with pretty close to the same displacement?
There isn't enough hood clearance on the xA (which he's swapping). Shouldn't be an issue on the xB though.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

who cares about the hood you don't need a hood ..... and if you have the time and money to do this swap you'll have the time and money to make/modify the hood to fit
Old 11-17-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I agree, the hood is relatively minor in the whole scheme of things. Hoods, we don't need no stinkin hoods.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i posted this topic on another forum, but i seem to get a lot of b/s responses.
does anyone know if i can use the levin trans with the 1zz block? I thought i heard one was 6 bolt and one was 8 bolt but i could be wrong. I want to use this jdm trans with the trd lsd, but these are all determining factors in who i aquire the motor from. Thanks
Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota has put the 1zz in this chassis...it's the Yaris TS. Maybe we can find out special parts and how they did it when the car is released overseas.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually Toyota hasn't put the 1ZZ-FE into a similar chassis. They put the "all new 2ZR-FE in the Yaris TS. I am not sure what, if any architecture or dimensions are shared between the two models. Quite honestly though, if I had my choice between dropping in one or the other, I would probably lean toward the 2ZR-FE. You get a little bit more horsepower and improved efficiency. Not to mention getting dual VVT-i. Not just VVT-i on the exhaust cam.

I really think that the 2ZR-FE might just be the genie in the bottle. Once someone with an xB gets a hold of one, we could really be on to some really exciting options. Especially if Toyota decides to release a supercharger for the motor.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

how can you argue with more power and better mpg? esp if it is easier to fit into this chassis.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Even in stock form it would be like putting a SC on the 1.5L
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member

I have a question. I have seen a couple people make statements regarding more power and better gasmileage. what makes people think a motor with more power is going ot improve thier gasmileage in theie xa/b? I am a very happy owner of an xB adn get in the ball park of 30mpg even with my 215/45 17s. i was under the impression that toyota put a 103hp motor in the car to provide economical driving. If they couldhave put a 145hp motor in the car and get BETTER gasmileage dont you think they would have? Just asking. Mabe you guys know something i dont.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Random_2002
I have a question. I have seen a couple people make statements regarding more power and better gasmileage. what makes people think a motor with more power is going ot improve thier gasmileage in theie xa/b? I am a very happy owner of an xB adn get in the ball park of 30mpg even with my 215/45 17s. i was under the impression that toyota put a 103hp motor in the car to provide economical driving. If they couldhave put a 145hp motor in the car and get BETTER gasmileage dont you think they would have? Just asking. Mabe you guys know something i dont.
In Toyota commercials, they advertise either the Corolla, or the Camry, I think 'Rolla, as having 41MPG, the xA broasts only 40**. Maybe it's the gearing, or the engine it's self, but the corolla is bit bigger than the xA and still claims better milage, with more power. I've been wondering why they didn't put it in the xA myself.

**After looking at my window sticker, the xA only boasts 37.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just take a look here Random...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Just as an example I compared an '06 auto xB with an '06 auto Corolla. The xB was rated at 31, the Corolla at 33. Average estimates from viewers of the site rated at 29.4 and 32.4 respectively.

Now imagine that same more powerful, more fuel efficient engine in a smaller, lighter car. Fuel economy gain could be huge. Not only because of the already higher efficiency, but also less need for fuel due to less load on the motor. It really is a no brainer if you look at it that way.

Of course Toyota has a whole lot more to consider. Not the least of which is the bottom line. (The all mighty dollar.) I am sure it was exponentially more economical to use the 1NZ-FE as opposed to the 1ZZ-FE.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bfurches
heres the thing,
the 1zz and 2zz are the SAME motor, its simply a different head assembly. Personally i prefer the 1zz any day of the weak due to less of a chance of valve float
..as far as would it fit, yes if the 1zz fit (you may have hood clearance issues though as i believe the 2zz may be an inch or so taller due to different head/ valve cover design.
Thanks for the intrest im on my way out the door right now to go look at a corolla

While I am interested to see your results, I just wanted to inform you of something. The 2ZZ has a shorter stroke than the 1zz to accomodate the peaky nature of this motor. The block is different, the pistons are different, the crancks are different, the heads, cam, valvetrain, etc....... you get the piont.

With the exceptions of modifying the mounts and wire harness, it fits under the hood quite nicely.

Quick Reply: 1ZZ-FE swap