Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 xA battery issue / question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 2006 xA battery issue / question

It's been a while since I've posted here. I have a battery issue that has developed or developing. (xA with an AT & stock Pioneer HU) Here is a rundown:

2/10/2011 - the xA had a dead battery. I jump started it and went to the Toyota dealer and had them put an OEM battery in (Truestart Battery). The alternator was charging at 14.3 volts (this is from the invoice). Mileage was 17,863.

01/29/2012 - I attempted to start the xA this morning and there was not enough juice to turn it over. It made that dreaded "ticking" sound associated with a dying battery. I took my portable power pack and the Scion started fine. The clock and the radio did not need to be reset. Mileage at the time was 20,708. I have driven the xA today and put on 20 miles and will put on another 20.

More info:

1. I hooked up my Scan Gauge II (the OBD reader) and the alternator was 14 to 14.2 volts.

2. If I turn the lights, radio and heater fan on it fluctuates 13.5 to 14 volts, this was driving.

3. At idle it dropped to 12.8 volts and spiked up to the 13.5.

4. Car is garaged. The temperature is between 50 and 60 degrees.

5. No lights were left on and all 5 doors were closed completely.

6. This has the Scion factory alarm and it WAS NOT armed. Doors were left unlocked.

As you can see I have low mileage and I do not use the xA that much BUT the car it replaced would sit outside in the winter for weeks at a time and I NEVER had a drained battery. In fact that car is now my mom's snowbird car and never fails to start here in CT winters. That car is a Saturn.

Why am I getting a drained battery after a week? Is it as simple as I need to drive this car weekly to keep a charge? The xA has never been driven on a salted road. I drove it once in the virgin snow and that's it. The OEM battery had a "dead cell" in it. Are these Toyota batteries just crappy batteries? If so, I will have them refund my money and I will go with an Interstate battery. I don't think its the alternator as it seems to be displacing figures that are in range and are comparable to what I got last year on my way to replace the battery.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably not a very good battery. Interstate is the best thing you can get without moving up to the next level (dry cell Optima,etc.)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had an evening appointment at Toyota for the battery. Here is what the diagnosis was: "found battery to have low voltage and fail battery test, replaced battery". They replaced the battery (for free) and it is supposedly an upgraded battery with a 7yr warranty.

I'm still not happy. In 20yrs of driving, I've never had a car for 5yrs / 20k be on it's third battery. That's just not normal. I know its not the xA.

The service writer was telling me that Toyota recommends that you drive the car once a week to prevent a dead battery. I may just consider the $90 spent last year as a waste and just buy a real battery that can withstand a week without being driven for a charge up.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member

it might be the terminals i had to rewire my + box it killed 2 batts now its fine and im running a 15" sub at 2200 watts and btw toyota batts have weak cells just fyi
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to add my $0.02 worth; My original battery went 5 years 1 month and 60k miles. 40k or so at 80mph so that was good, but I am quite unhappy with what the dealer installed as a replacement not to mention the sloppy job, ie. no felt, no protection. The original would still start even if I left the stereo w amp on. Left it on inadvertantly with this new battery and had to jump it. The AAA guy recommended getting another battery (this one is 14 months old!) but I just had him add the felt and "red stuff". No problems yet, and keepin' closer watch on what I leave on!
Next time I go find my own replacement and put it in myself!
Very disappointed in Toyota's product and service. The box is my first and my LAST. It is however, about the funnest car to drive that I have ever had!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member

agreed toyota sucks do it your self they wont stab you in the face with a sadering iron lol
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrsocks
Just to add my $0.02 worth; My original battery went 5 years 1 month and 60k miles. 40k or so at 80mph so that was good, but I am quite unhappy with what the dealer installed as a replacement not to mention the sloppy job, ie. no felt, no protection. The original would still start even if I left the stereo w amp on. Left it on inadvertantly with this new battery and had to jump it. The AAA guy recommended getting another battery (this one is 14 months old!) but I just had him add the felt and "red stuff". No problems yet, and keepin' closer watch on what I leave on!
Next time I go find my own replacement and put it in myself!
Very disappointed in Toyota's product and service. The box is my first and my LAST. It is however, about the funnest car to drive that I have ever had!
Lol the felt does nothing but help keep corrosion off the terminal. They have a spray (usually red or purple) that works much better.

Also, corrosion itself won't really effect your battery or it's ability to start.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrsocks
... My original battery went 5 years... I am quite unhappy with what the dealer installed as a replacement...
Mine went 6 years and was still fine, but I decided that was long enough. The original OEM Panasonic battery is no longer made. The battery in the dealer parts system for our xBs is made for Toyota by Interstate, and has a plain black top. I had an independent shop install the same Interstate battery, same size, configuration and specs but slightly cheaper, and it has a green top with a lot of stickers.

I think those two identical Interstate batteries are all that fit our xB perfectly like the OEM Panasonic did, and you probably got one of them. If not, and you still want to replace your "new" battery, you should look for them.

If looking for some other battery, the original dimensions are 7-3/4” H x 6-3/4” W x 9” L (Group 25).

You say you ran the "new" 14-month old battery down by leaving the stereo amp on. It is hard to tell if any other battery would have still been able to start the car after that.

And it is possible that corrosion on the unprotected terminals weakened the connection and output to the starter motor. Perhaps the cleaning of the terminals, the dielectric grease spray, and the saturated felt rings will cure that problem and prevent it from returning.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member

One thing that would concern me is that you said that your voltage drops to 12.8 volts during idle that could indicate something with the alternator. You dont drive the vehicle that much, it seems, which could also lead to the battery voltage dropping over time; it should not be enough over a weeks' time though. So a couple of things or a combination of them could be that the 1) battery that they replaced into your car could have been sitting on the ground for a period of time (causing it to ground out and prematurely "die"), 2) you have a drain in the vehicle somewhere (from aftermarket equipment or even faulty relay or fuse), 3) cold weather does not help batteries very much so if it sits in colder temps for long periods of time it could impact the charge and performace of the battery (you did say 50-60 degrees but just an idea) 4) the alternator may have a charging issue, could be a faulty part or the whole thing could be on its way out. The alternator should stay around 13 volts or higher at all times while the vehicle is running, (unless something else is drawing from it i.e. aftermarket sound system). This is just my interpertation of what you maybe experiancing, I am not a mechanic just want to throw an idea out there.

Let us know what you find out