Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

4-2-1 or 4-1-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
Originally Posted by NVFirefighter
Originally Posted by luvmyxb
I saw an OBX 4-2-1 on ebay. I have a K&N Typhoon and a 2.25" Magnaflow, so headers are the next logical step.
Don't buy obx. Its crap.
And your reasoning is??
Obx is cheap, extremely cheap. The few people who have bought obx that i talk to regularly, didn't have it on but for a week tops. Infact one, didn't even bother installing it. Over a somewhat short period of time, they tend to crack from heat, i've heard plenty of horror stories with obx. Its just a .
Okay,playing the Devils Advocate here....I too have seen one up close and the welds and flanges are very nicely done and very thick.They also have a lifetime warranty against just the things you talk about. Here is a link with some good pictures of the product I'm refering to... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-4...spagenameZWDVW

Anyone else hear bad things about OBX?

Thanks all!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by luvmyxb
I saw an OBX 4-2-1 on ebay. I have a K&N Typhoon and a 2.25" Magnaflow, so headers are the next logical step.
Don't buy obx. Its crap.
And your reasoning is??
Obx is cheap, extremely cheap. The few people who have bought obx that i talk to regularly, didn't have it on but for a week tops. Infact one, didn't even bother installing it. Over a somewhat short period of time, they tend to crack from heat, i've heard plenty of horror stories with obx. Its just a .
Okay,playing the Devils Advocate here....I too have seen one up close and the welds and flanges are very nicely done and very thick.They also have a lifetime warranty against just the things you talk about. Here is a link with some good pictures of the product I'm refering to... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-4...spagenameZWDVW

Anyone else hear bad things about OBX?

Thanks all!
Maybe the header looks decent for how much it costs, but imo those bends suck for mandrel bends. Its not very smooth and clean towards the part where 4 breaks into two. Their products are poor, i'm telling you. I understand you want more feedback, totally understandable. But i've seen these headers, and i've seen and heard about way too many issues. Especially with their exhaust set ups.

Things like this, a 4-2-1 header for $125? Give me a break, its too good to be true as far as quality goes.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well from what I've heard all the headers come from the same manufacturer so the quality can't be that much diffrent. If anyone has acutally used an OBX first hand then please speak up. I am so tempted just to buy one and try out how horrible it is, although if it is that bad I dont want to burn $125+shipping and install time etc. lol
Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, we can count the JDM 5Zigen out it seems -- I got this in the mail from them today:

Thank you for your inquiry.
5ZIGEN has been selling 4-2-1 headers for bB in Japan.
However, this JDM header didn't fit US Scion xB.
We have no plan to make one for Scion xB right now.

Best Regards,

Tsuyoshi
5ZIGEN USA

I stand corrected then, although I'm not so sure why it wouldn't fit or work considering it's the same engine. Maybe it's due to the RH drive setup and needing to route the exhaust a slightly different route to avoid mechanicals that are in a different place on the xB. Not sure, and I don't feel like spending $450 to find out why, so damn.