Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

4-2-1 vs. 4-1 style headers....... Opinions, Thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 4-2-1 vs. 4-1 style headers....... Opinions, Thoughts..

Okay..... So, the 4-1 style header is supposed to help gain more top end power.....

Except, the 1NZ-FE isn't really a top end performer..... being that it has a longer stroke

and makes pretty good torque for its size..... In tuning theory, the best type of header

would be a 4-2-1 in order to increase backpressure and gain more down low

performance which is where the engine would see the greatest performance increase,

but when the header is as small as it is for the xa/xb, does it really matter?.......

Do you think that one would really see much of a difference in low-end or even high

end gain between the two different types of headers?

Just lookin for opinions and/or feedback.....

-AleXb.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went with the 4-1 and was slightly dissappointed in the gains. Only improvements I saw was a little more power on the highway. Id be interested in hearing other peoples findings.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should get the 4-2-1 so we can see if theres a diff between mine and yours.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My personal experience with my 4-2-1 OBX is that it's a "kick in the pants" effect from about 2900-4500 RPM. Driving around town, stoplight to stoplight, and around on/off ramps is a bit more fun with the livelier response. My butt-dyno is conservatively tuned, so I'll say that I got about 1-1.5 HP (as if I really could feel that! ). But this lil' boost is usable in the mid-range - again, it helps around town. Gas mileage has remained the same (35 mpg avg.)

Just a side note on the installation: the lower bracket on my OBX header didn't line up perfectly with the engine's mating bracket. I had to grind the hole a bit bigger on the engine bracket, and slightly bend the OBX's bracket to make everything bolt up properly.

- Al
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the feedback Al...... i think it makes the most sense to go for the 4-2-1..... I'll have pics and thoughts posted once its up and goin...
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 PM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good deal, AleXb! FYI, I ordered mine from Tuning_Depot on eBay and got it in about 4 days (to Denver). You could get it in two!

- Al
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

unless a single person buys one 4-1 and one 4-2-1 it won't matter.

these are crappy , slow , 100 some odd hp machines. not like a mod responsive honduh or a high hp muscle car. you cannot expect or receive much improvements on these cars.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:55 PM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya hotbox! I really never expected any kind of serious gain from our little econoboxes (or econo-eggs so to speak).

But I get bored with the ordinary sometimes, which is why I got the quirky xA in the first place. Then, as time goes on, little tweaks here and there are made just to keep things interesting. As I've said in another post, you'll never hear me boast about my 8-10 HP gain from my headers. It's just the joy of modding, from adding the shiny header to the 'maybe' 1.375 HP gain of oomph when zipping around town.

- Al
Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*coughs* hater *cough*
Old 05-30-2006, 11:54 PM
ASC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey! How does that label me as a 'hater'? I'm simply being modest about any claimed gains. The only part I wouldn't agree with hotbox is that our cars are crappy. But, they are basically economy cars with great styling (IMO).
Old 05-31-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alex, i work in chatsworth, and live in Simi. I have the DC sports 4-1. If you are interested in taking a test drive in my box lemme know we can meet up sometime at night or most any weekend. as for the gains from the 4-1, minimal, but with I-H-E, i don't get the finger from grandmas passing me on the on ramps any more *clears throat * not too much more anyway. Really it depends on your driving habits. for me, i wanted mopre top end, freeway power, in and out of city traffic, we are going to get smoked by most anything out there off the line, so for me it didn't make sence to try to make power on the low end.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these are crappy , slow , 100 some odd hp machines. not like a mod responsive honduh
Oh hell no you didn't!! I know you didn't just say that!!! That was a typo right?!!

hotbox05, please!! I know you're trying to make a point, but let's not make it sound like a Honda is better than a Toyota.

You know, it's weird...I looked at your profile and it still shows a nice Toyota. So when are you gonna get rid of the box, and get that high flying Honda civic?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO... i was aimin at the hotbox ne way just a bit'o'humor got to keepit real for the xb as to make up for others.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by metal112524
*coughs* hater *cough*
i have the fastest non turbo , non supercharged , non nitrous xB in the united states. and i'm ***** **** slow!!!!!

you need to get off the "everyone is a 'hater' " trip
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil
these are crappy , slow , 100 some odd hp machines. not like a mod responsive honduh
Oh hell no you didn't!! I know you didn't just say that!!! That was a typo right?!!

hotbox05, please!! I know you're trying to make a point, but let's not make it sound like a Honda is better than a Toyota.

You know, it's weird...I looked at your profile and it still shows a nice Toyota. So when are you gonna get rid of the box, and get that high flying Honda civic?
notice I never said honduh's were better car's . other than a cheap 1320 race car honduhs serve no purpose.

toyota's on the whole will always be a better car overall than a honduh.

I promote for toyota/scion and will be selling toyota/scion starting tomorrow.

i hate honduh's more than any car well almost. i hate fords more but still what i'm saying is those honduhs that I hate are much easier to mod up and can squeeze a lot more power out of a lot easier.

it is a for sure fact that small displacement honduh motors are more reliable when heavily modded , as well as MUCH more responsive to mods , than almost any small displacement toyota is . especially within the last 5 years.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AleXB-

I've got the MMW 4-2-1 header and love it... install was a pain, but I love it. the quality is excellent and the fit was perfect.

I got it because I do a lot of highway driving and got tired of downshifting to pass. don't get me wrong, I love to downshift, but when I need a tiny boost just to speed up... the header makes the most difference above 60 mph. I can hit the gas and the car actually responds w/o having to down shift.

I don't have a clue if the 4-1 headers would create the same results. I just read up, did my research and bought.

I love it.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate honduh's more than any car well almost. i hate fords more but still what i'm saying is those honduhs that I hate are much easier to mod up and can squeeze a lot more power out of a lot easier.

it is a for sure fact that small displacement honduh motors are more reliable when heavily modded , as well as MUCH more responsive to mods , than almost any small displacement toyota is . especially within the last 5 years.
Thank you for clarifying...I am quite the Honda hater myslelf. I just wanted to hear you say it.
No real rip intended on you, either. I have and love the BSP, and yours is one of my favorites on here.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by evilBOXevil

Thank you for clarifying...I am quite the Honda hater myslelf. I just wanted to hear you say it.
No real rip intended on you, either. I have and love the BSP, and yours is one of my favorites on here.
thanx for the compliment but i have a bop. oh well it looks black half the times. lol.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm color blind..and obviously don't read so well, either.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
Originally Posted by metal112524
*coughs* hater *cough*
i have the fastest non turbo , non supercharged , non nitrous xB in the united states. and i'm ***** **** slow!!!!!

you need to get off the "everyone is a 'hater' " trip

SO that means that If I put a header (prolly DC sports), Iridium Plugs (NGK), ill have the fastest NA automatic in the US? haha J/P dude,

Adding a little more power wouldnt hurt, I would always go with the torque mod than power mod so we can push our toasters a little faster. SO maybe a 4-2-1. It really depends on what you want tho.

Quick Reply: 4-2-1 vs. 4-1 style headers....... Opinions, Thoughts..