Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

4E-FTE Swap in an xA

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, I'd like to know how you plan to fit the 1zz PLUS a superhcrager in the engine bay of an xA/xB.

Second, find me some aftermarket performance cams for the 1zzfe. There aren't any.

The 4efte is small,light, strong, and has great tuning potential. The 1zz has nowhere near the potential a 4efte does.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jdaniels
Originally Posted by hotbox05
i like the 1zz for torque , smog ability , and it's new i hate putting a old ___ motor in a BRAND new car.

and a trd s/c 1zz with cams , header , and full exhaust will womp alot of 4efte's
I don't know man, the 1zz w/ TRD s/c in the Matrix XR still isn't as fast as a stock Matrix XRS. It's kind of odd...
well stock for stock the 1zz s/c is like 15hp less.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive
First off, I'd like to know how you plan to fit the 1zz PLUS a superhcrager in the engine bay of an xA/xB.

Second, find me some aftermarket performance cams for the 1zzfe. There aren't any.

The 4efte is small,light, strong, and has great tuning potential. The 1zz has nowhere near the potential a 4efte does.
it's called re-grind. crane cams will do most regrinds for 95 per cam. and if you change the rad support the s/c will fit. it's getting a shop that can do good fab for the lower mounts theres plenty of room for a 1zz OR 2zz. maybe as you say the 4efte has soo much more potential but theres no way in hell i'm going with a 15+ year old motor in my BRAND new car. and a 1.3 with huge turbo aint my thang. well unless it was a rotary but thats a different story. it's just not my bag. and smoggability is a HUGE thing for me cuz 250 dollar plus illegal pass smog fees is one thing, getting pulled over by a cop and having to go to a ref would be a totally different story , aka swap back to stock. it'd be totally impossible for a 4efte to ever be ca smog legal. and with punk police every now and again i'm not willing to risk that. a zz motor would easily be able to be smog approved.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just to let everyone know, 4E-FTE's were made untill 1999.....
Old 07-04-2005, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude who give a damm about smog ... if your after power ... Engine swaps are the only way to go ... And if you swap in a 1zz and a 2zz you would need the cats to be in the stock location for it to pass the smog reff ...

And theres seems to be alot of "Know it all " around ... And they dont know $#!T about Toyota history or engines...

Like PSyCHo-RaGe said the 4E-FTE has been in production till late 1999 ... Hows that make it a 15year motor ????
Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Wraith
Dude who give a damm about smog ... if your after power ... Engine swaps are the only way to go ... And if you swap in a 1zz and a 2zz you would need the cats to be in the stock location for it to pass the smog reff ...

And theres seems to be alot of "Know it all " around ... And they dont know $#!T about Toyota history or engines...

Like PSyCHo-RaGe said the 4E-FTE has been in production till late 1999 ... Hows that make it a 15year motor ????
because most of the motors that people buy arent 1999 motors.

and a 1zz or 2zz can pass cali smog. f**k smog? yeah untill you get pulled over and u have to go to a ref for an illegal swap . smogging itself is no problem it's if ( more likely when ) you get pulled over and they pop your hood.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

because most of the motors that people buy arent 1999 motors.

and a 1zz or 2zz can pass cali smog. f**k smog? yeah untill you get pulled over and u have to go to a ref for an illegal swap . smogging itself is no problem it's if ( more likely when ) you get pulled over and they pop your hood.
Yes the 2zz and the 1zz can pass smog ... But I highly doubt you have actually looked at what are the requirements for your engine swap to be considered legal ... Carb strickly notes that you cannot modify the locations of the stock catalic converters... Because of the sheer size of the 1zz and 2zz motors ... This requires you to move the catalic converters further back on the XB, XA, Echo chasis ... Which in CARBs eyes is modifying the catalytic converters location.

No how you gonna pass smog again ????
Old 07-04-2005, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

well by all of my measurements the motor is only 3 inches give or take in all directions. and as long as the cat is within a few inches no smog ref i know would even know. I know one ref. but he wont risk his job passing me and i've known him for years.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well by all of my measurements the motor is only 3 inches give or take in all directions. and as long as the cat is within a few inches no smog ref i know would even know. I know one ref. but he wont risk his job passing me and i've known him for years.
But other than you ... who has a smog ref hook up ??? And You would still need to make the exhaust piping to move the catalytic converter... I've tried to get my 3s-gte swap a legal swap into a camry and I've fought with the smog reff about placement of the stock cats... Even though it was only 4" lower from the original placement... It still didnt pass...
Old 07-04-2005, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think a lot of this depends on what kinda things people want out of their car..
(and i live in columbus ohio so i dont have smog issues)

for those looking for raw performance, heck yea the 4efte is a damn good choice, great tuning capabilities, good size/weight, and iron block..

personally, i want my car to last as long as possible as a daily driver- still being able to pound out some decent numbers. i like the idea of sticking with the overall newer design of the 1zz, maybe just because of silly reasons like it sounds newer and something tells me it will be more reliable in the long run. however, i could be swayed towards the 4e if i saw a clean brand-new-looking 4efte in the engine bay of an xa!

and also does anybody know how gas mileage compares between the 2? i imagine its pretty similar since the 4efte is so dang small?

....please dont hound me for caring about gas mileage, im a poor college student! :D

-jon
Old 07-05-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the 1zz gets 40mpg highway in a heavier corolla so we'd get even better than that in our cars. 4efte would get about 25
Old 07-05-2005, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was the 4E-FTE ever sold in a USDM car? How would I rebuild one? What about electronics? Putting at best a 5 year old motor into my brand new car is not something that appeals to me.
I also inquired about a 2ZZ-GE swap, but EL proto said it wouldn't happen with out knocking out the frame and rebuilding framerails on both sides. That doesn't take into account axles, wiring, mounts or fueling system differences.
I come from the Honda camp, and we used to swap everything into everything, but it appears as though the echo frame is not easily swappable.
I'm going to shy away from an engine swap and boost the stock motor I think.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

kanga i think el said that cuz it wants to sell the 4efte swap.

no 4efTe's were ever in the us market but.... 4efe's were i believe they were tercel or paseo motors. or was that 5efe? either way same motor family. we didn't get the turbo as always.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no 4efTe's were ever in the us market but.... 4efe's were i believe they were tercel or paseo motors. or was that 5efe? either way same motor family. we didn't get the turbo as always.
LoL
I never thought of that.
But if it was a feasible swap, then why would they invest time and money into a 4E-FTE transplant, when it is clear that more people would want the 2ZZ or even 1ZZ swap?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hotbox ... have you seen a full 2zz swap ??? And do you know whats required ??? Do you know what trans your suppose to use ... Theres alot you do not know and your on here acting like you done it ... Unless you have actually put sometime and effort on trying to put the whole 2zz with the 6spd trans onto an echo fram then I seriously think you have no opinoin on doing soo... If you look at my post on the Echo forums, I originally wanted do a 2zz swap into my echo. When I got into an accident with the echo me and EL Prototypes tried to fit that motor into my engine bay and we also tried it on Paulies car... I wouldnt happen unless you grind out a small piece of the fram ...

As for parts on the 4e-fte ... The same pistons can be bought here ... The 5e-fe from a Passeo is the same block and rods... different crank though ... Where in the hell do you get a motor in stock forum ingest 25 to 30 psi of boost on stock rods and pistons, with out an expensive standalone... Name one !!!!

Paulie has had his 4e-fte in his tercel for nearly 5 years boost 16psi. I personally tunned his AVC-R for him... And the car has been still runnning strong ...
Old 07-05-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Hotbox ... have you seen a full 2zz swap ??? And do you know whats required ??? Do you know what trans your suppose to use ... Theres alot you do not know and your on here acting like you done it ... Unless you have actually put sometime and effort on trying to put the whole 2zz with the 6spd trans onto an echo fram then I seriously think you have no opinoin on doing soo... If you look at my post on the Echo forums, I originally wanted do a 2zz swap into my echo. When I got into an accident with the echo me and EL Prototypes tried to fit that motor into my engine bay and we also tried it on Paulies car... I wouldnt happen unless you grind out a small piece of the fram ...

As for parts on the 4e-fte ... The same pistons can be bought here ... The 5e-fe from a Passeo is the same block and rods... different crank though ... Where in the hell do you get a motor in stock forum ingest 25 to 30 psi of boost on stock rods and pistons, with out an expensive standalone... Name one !!!!

Paulie has had his 4e-fte in his tercel for nearly 5 years boost 16psi. I personally tunned his AVC-R for him... And the car has been still runnning strong ...
i wouldnt do the 2zz cuz i dislike the motors power curve. I would do a 1zz. and you are correct the 6spd is alot larger than the 1zz's 5spd tranny. so if I were to do a 2zz i would run the 1zz tranny. either way will need modification and fabrication. the 1zz with 5spd measurment wise would fit with inches to spare. some places an inch or less others 3 plus inches. i've looked into doing this with a buddy of mine at motorsport dynamics in sacramento. also the xb's have more room in the engine bay than an echo. i'm not saying I know everything but I know a bit more than you give me credit for. call me out if you want fine. but i've never called you out. oh and if it'd fit from grinding a small piece of frame i'd have done it . unless of course I couldnt trusts el's work enough for them to be able to strengthen the piece afterwards. but believe it or not the 5 speed to 6 speed is a big size difference.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hey another question totally legit no flaming intended . but how did he have his tercel with that swap for 5 years without getting sent to a ref from a hood pop or what have you ? he must have really good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey another question totally legit no flaming intended . but how did he have his tercel with that swap for 5 years without getting sent to a ref from a hood pop or what have you ? he must have really good luck.
the 4e-fte was left completely stock for a long time ... It didnt even have silicone hoses ... It had Toyota Badging all over the place and looks completely stock...
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt do the 2zz cuz i dislike the motors power curve. I would do a 1zz. and you are correct the 6spd is alot larger than the 1zz's 5spd tranny. so if I were to do a 2zz i would run the 1zz tranny. either way will need modification and fabrication. the 1zz with 5spd measurment wise would fit with inches to spare. some places an inch or less others 3 plus inches. i've looked into doing this with a buddy of mine at motorsport dynamics in sacramento. also the xb's have more room in the engine bay than an echo. i'm not saying I know everything but I know a bit more than you give me credit for. call me out if you want fine. but i've never called you out. oh and if it'd fit from grinding a small piece of frame i'd have done it . unless of course I couldnt trusts el's work enough for them to be able to strengthen the piece afterwards. but believe it or not the 5 speed to 6 speed is a big size difference.
I was thinking about this post ... Dont worry bro its not me calling you out ... This is a debate ...

I dont know about the xb having more room ... The xb is nothing but an echo with a different skin... The xb engine bay has more room vertically but not horizontally from the echo... The echo engine bay and the xb engine bay are the same ...

The reason why I didnt go thru with the swap is ... I road race my echo and the echo already has a ____ed up weight distribution 60/40 ... Now imagine if I put in a bigger motor... The 1zz would be great for daily driver and striaght line performance. But that would be it , nothing else. The car would be come sooo front heavy that it would suck around the corners... And the car would lose it true meaning of a fun driver for me ... If you think an echo being fun in the corners ... I would be more than happy to give you a ride around the track or in the canyons in and around my house... Matter of fact if you want to come out and see the echo at the track... I'll be road racing in Driver Fest saturday 23rd at Streets of Willow
Old 07-06-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah the xb is a little more level weight wise. but i see what ya men. my ideal is more of a quick little cruiser.

Quick Reply: 4E-FTE Swap in an xA