Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Acetone said to increase mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, someone just got my attention, wanting to know if I had learned anything worth learning about acetone in gasoline over the past 6 months.

Very simply, no.

From my experience there have been no negative effects from using acetone, but if there are likewise any positive effects, they are too small to be significant.

It appears that my xBs milage was possibly a bit better with 2 ounces per 10 gallons of acetone added to the fuel, but the difference is small enough that it easily hides in the normal measurement errors.

My conclusion on use of acetone in an xB to improve milage: Not worth it.

The injectors in this engine are specifically designed to more finely atomize the fuel being delivered than "normal" injectors. If there is an atomization advantage caused by acetone, it appears the advantage is too small to be worthwhile - just not worth the trouble or expense of fiddling with the fuel.

OK, so what now? I'm off in a very slightly different direction, which is being quietly discussed in another topic or two. It doesn't seem to give any more MPG gain than using acetone, but so far there is one other noticible, repeatable, positive effect. I have a bit of a trip coming up in just over a week (west coast to mid-Montana and back) where I expect to use that repeatable difference to advantage.

(https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=116693 and https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125171)

Unless someone else comes up with some incredibly compelling information re acetone in our particular engines, the question is closed/decided IMNSHO. :D

Tomas

The End.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So Biznox was right, with less effort wasted.

Unless it involves destroying something, or a lot of face time showing how brillant the Mythbusters are, they're not interested.

On the next episode, we will drive drive drive and put funny stuff in our gas tanks. Then we will take measurements and compare figures! Please watch!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, actually MOST of what Biznox said was just annoying drivel, and quite wrong, and that's been covered already. Much of his purpose in this thread seemed aimed solely at disrupting everyone else's discussion with nonsense.

Now, to keep from encouraging new folks to join in off-topic trash-talk, I'll click this button over here and lock the topic.

Bye!