Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto stuck in 4th up hill

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Auto stuck in 4th up hill

I have an automatic Xb and have noticed issues up hills with shifting. Whenever I go home to L.A., I make the trek down the 15. For those of you unfamiliar, there is a stretch about 17 miles long where you climb about 4,000 feet. My car naturally goes into 4th when I lose power but when I re-gain, it will not shift back to O.D. When I let off the gas, I need to use the "OD off" button on my shifter. I press it once to "turn OD off" then press it once more and it will go to overdrive. The car is in 4th going up the hill for 5-10 minutes at a time so I think the computer might be trying to keep it there. Is this bad? I drive this a few times a year and my car hates it.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

Default auto stuck in 4th

My XB does the same thing. It is part of the programming. The computer senses that the engine is under heavy load (drops out OD while going uphill) and keeps OD locked out untill engine load is back to normal and on level ground. Have you ever noticed that when going downhill (on a slightly steep grade), and you put on the brakes that the OD also drops out to assist with engine braking.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yep, this is all normal. Let it do what it does. The only time I do the OD off thing is while the cruise is on so it doesn't keep going up and down till the top of the hill.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

If you want it to shift back into OD all you have to do is hit the OD off button and hit it again and it will shift.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hated how it quickly shifted to the next highest gear, but not to egar to upshift as needed til it was floored. One reason I went the stick shift route.

Just an fyi, if its running hot, it should also shift out of od too til it cools down.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 PM

Default xb auto trans shifting problems

I have a 06 xb with 13k miles that down shifts on long up hill runs and stays in that lower gear even after I crest the hill and start to go down hill. It stays in that gear with my foot off the gas peddle for 5 seconds or so before it shifts up again or until I shift it into neutral and back into drive again. The has never happened to any other car I have ever driven in 50 years of driving.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the xB's are equiped with uphill and downhill shift logic. The car should drop a gear when staring a climb without having to press the gas more. If it is not doing that then take it to the dealer.

The owners manual should tell u all about it, check it out.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:41 PM

Default xb auto trans shifting problem in 2006 vehicle

This is a responce to the statement that xb auto transmissions have uphill and downhill shift logic . The cars of today have more and more computer based operations because it is much less costly to manufacture. My problem as I stated before when traveling at highway speed say of 60 mph you come to a long sustained up hill section of the highway and with your foot steady on the gas pedal the trans will down shift twice in climbing the hill and after cresting the top of the hill it will stay in that lower gear even if you take you foot off the gas pedal . It stays in that lower gear for up to 5 seconds with your foot off or on the gas and it wont shift up as it has in every other vehicle I have owened for the last 50 ;years. I have shifted this trans into neutral and then back into drive to get it to up shift as it should on its own.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Right, the trans is holding the gear longer than it should and you want it to. We get that. That is how the xB auto trans works. Mine does the same thing all the time when going uphill so there is nothing wrong with yours.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 PM

Default 06 xb auto trans shifting problem

In responce to the statement that my auto trans is staying in gear going up hill sir is not a problem it should stay in the lower gear to pull the vehicle up the grade. I dont have a problem going up hill but after I reach the top of the hill and start to go down the hill regardless of how steep the down hill run is my trans does not shift up if I take my foot off the gas or put the gas to the floor. No auto trans in any car should do that period. I can be going 60 mph in that lower geer with my engine doing 6 grand and it wont shift period. I had the service rep from toyota drive it and he said it was not normal. He said it could be normal for the xb in 06 and that he needed to see if other xb 06's would do the same thing. I told him I have purchased over 30 brand new cars in the last 50 years and none of them did that. I also owned and ran a auto repair shop for a number of years and never had any such problem like that before.