Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto tranny shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Auto tranny shifting hard

After the coolant is up to temperature I notice my car appears to keep revving and then just drop into the next gear, causing a hard shift. This does happen when I get on it but I would never think the car should continue to rev higher and then just drop into gear like it is. (Can't say it's always "me" since its an auto )

I just had the VVTi gear changed under warranty due to the code and I might dare say its worse after the work was done - did it beforehand but I don't remember it happening as much.

Since the one time I took it in - they couldn't reproduce it. Should I see if I can get it on film (digital camera or cell phone) so I can play if for the dealership? I would hope that a shot of the speedometer would be the best bet - volume included.

(Can you tell I just had a tranny replaced in the other car?)
Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Lehigh Valley Scions
SL Member

I think im experiencing the same problem. When i get on it it will go almost to red line then shift but when it shifts its sometimes like vibrates its really weird i asked a friend of mine and he said its just tranny lag so i dunno...it doesnt happen when i drive normally though.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there was a problem you would most likely have a DTC. This is not always the case however, but comprises 95% of the time.
If the dealer cannot duplicate your concern on the test drive, then that is where diagnosis stops.

If you still think there is a problem:
1. have the dealer test the line pressure
2. Make sure the ATF is in good condition, you may just need a trans fluid change or flush.
3. testing of the line pressure soleniod, as this affects shift quality, but only if line pressure is really high.

If those all these are good and no DTC is in the ECM, then eveything is good and you are just paraniod.