Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs... better performance or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs... better performance or not?

Does anyone know if there is any really noticible performance gains with the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs, or does it just ride the same, and if it does offer a performance gain, will it void my engine warranty if i put in the plugs and get some high performance wires? sorry if i sound like a noob asking this, but im getting tired of flipping through the damn book or going back to the dealer to ask...
Old 10-22-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

You will see/feel no diff with the +4s. Maybe better fuel economy but that bout it. Get some NGK performance plugs and call it a day. Also if you want to upgrade wires you would have to relocate the individual coils due to the fact that there are no wires. The xB uses individual direct coils for each plug. Take off the plastic engine cover and see whats what.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k, thanks for the reply man, saved me a bunch of time figuring out what to do
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll 2nd that on the +4's. I had them in another vehicle, didn't make any noticeable difference from a standard plug. Changing plugs won't really do anything unless yours are worn out.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x3

If you’re going to spend the bucks get Denso Iridiums. Gas mileage will improve SLIGHTLY (barely noticeable) but the plugs will go 100,000 miles before needing to be changed.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any other performance suggestions besides an intake system that i can do to my motor witihout voiding its warranty?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You bought a Scion, not exactly a platform to build on performance wise but it can be done.

For a cheap/easy performance bang-for-the-buck gain you cant beat "Nitrous in a Gym Bag".
No I'm not kidding and it is done locally.
A small shot of nitrous plumbed into the air intake will give you a shot in the butt!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, sounds like a good idea for when my engine warranty goes out, im not really going for fast fast, for that im looking into an 89 Camaro Iroc-Z witha big block dropped in it... I just want it to get a little more kick outta it... thats all, i know im getting the turbo eventually, im just looking for little things here and there to get more power out of it
Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You really can't get a lot out of the little motors, simply because they're already highly tuned, and because they're an undersquare stroked motor...

Aftermarket intake and exhaust will add a little, and an undersized aluminum aftermarket pulley will let the motor rev more quickly, as will lightweight aftermarket wheels and tires... After that, an aluminum flywheel has much the same effect... Maybe reground cams, but there's not much there because of emission controls and VVT...

Beyond that, you'll need to go to supercharging or turbocharging, neither of which will improve engine life at all...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just the ideas i was looking for, thanks man
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which plugs would we see any difference in performance (if any)?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

NGK IX, Denso Irridium, Autolite XP.....in that order of preference and no others for this car all of these incorperate a irridium fine wire design.....NGK IS the OE plug in toyota and many other imports just using a little better of a plug....and they are the ones i run as well.....some say dont waste your money or its "snake oil" i say to each they own and do what you want i know i have and will.....MPG did improve a small amount with them....i regularly pull em at each oil change and clean them as well as the MAF
Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have the part number for the ngk plugs for our cars? i'm assuming xa's and xb's spark plugs should be the same?

Originally Posted by deviousXA
NGK IX, Denso Irridium, Autolite XP.....in that order of preference and no others for this car all of these incorperate a irridium fine wire design.....NGK IS the OE plug in toyota and many other imports just using a little better of a plug....and they are the ones i run as well.....some say dont waste your money or its "snake oil" i say to each they own and do what you want i know i have and will.....MPG did improve a small amount with them....i regularly pull em at each oil change and clean them as well as the MAF
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Use a regular NGK copper plug if you plan on changing at regular intervals. If you want a longer lasting plug that you don't have to change as often, take a look at the iridiums. NGK first, Denso second. Just like Devious said.

It is my experience that the copper plugs tend to be more efficient and provide slightly better performance, but the iridiums last much longer.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

regular intervals meaning every 3,000 miles at oil change? or 15,000 miles that i have read somewhere else i can't remember? how long can i go with the iridiums without replacing those?

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Use a regular NGK copper plug if you plan on changing at regular intervals. If you want a longer lasting plug that you don't have to change as often, take a look at the iridiums. NGK first, Denso second. Just like Devious said.

It is my experience that the copper plugs tend to be more efficient and provide slightly better performance, but the iridiums last much longer.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best bet on replacing copper plugs is to follow the manufacturer's service recommendations. Usually somewhere around every 30,000. It also depends on how you drive the car, and how well it is running.

Iridium plugs will typically last 2-3 times as long. Somewhere in the 60,000-90,000 mile range. But I wouldn't neglect inspection. It is still a good idea to check them every 30,000 miles. Or whatever the recommended service interval is for your car.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey RTon20s how does that short ram air intake work, any noticible difference in performance, or would the AEM cold air intake be better? and any difference in sound at all?
Old 10-27-2006, 03:22 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i pay the extra money for iridiums would it hurt my car? or would i be better off just using copper plugs instead of iridium plugs?

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Your best bet on replacing copper plugs is to follow the manufacturer's service recommendations. Usually somewhere around every 30,000. It also depends on how you drive the car, and how well it is running.

Iridium plugs will typically last 2-3 times as long. Somewhere in the 60,000-90,000 mile range. But I wouldn't neglect inspection. It is still a good idea to check them every 30,000 miles. Or whatever the recommended service interval is for your car.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Neo... I love the Fujita short ram I installed on the wife's car. There is a little bit of a difference between the stock air box and it, but don't expect huge gains. I would definitely buy that intake over any cold air intake. You'll save money, time and headaches on the install.

ayS... If you are planning on checking your plugs and changing them at regular service intervals I would go copper. Not only are they cheaper, but in my experience, perform a bit better than platinum or iridium.

However, if you know you won't be faithful in checking you plugs, or just want a plug you know is going to last a lot longer, go iridium. You'll be much better off and have a better performing car in the long run. If you leave copper plugs in as long as iridiums they'll be junk and making the car run like crap by the time you swap them out.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have iridiums on my xa, dont remember what brand. They dont make that much of a difference. What they do seem to do is ive me a better throttle response, it seems crisper, and i get better fuel economy. just my opinion...

Quick Reply: Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs... better performance or not?