Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Celica Throttle Body swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome keep me posted

what engine was this off of again?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

toyota corolla 1.8L 1zz motor
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Are you able to swap the sensors from our 1nz onto the 1zz TB? Do you have any issues with the throttle cable? Which gasket did you use? Is the 1zz IM also that plastic composite (I think I wrote it correct)?

And for the 1zz laying around, not knowing what to do with it! Ship it to me, lol!!

Thanks for taking the first steps!!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i take it this TB is off the newer corollas

i seen a few for sale, there not to badly priced
Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah thanks for trying this out, i hope it works
Old 11-14-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I can't wait to see if this works. I just put and Edge large TB on my wifes jeep and it made a nice gain in performance.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frogbox
And for those that talk about not doing any good on a stock motor, a good example is the throttle body swap done on Neons. with them going to a TB from an auto trans, which was larger, gave about 20 more hp.

XB is not a dodge, toyota's approach is much different to making cars than dodge. let us look at this subject. A larger throttle body on a stock engine hurts torque.
For the 1 maybe 2 peak horses you MAY get from that larger throttle body on a stock motor you kill torque everywhere in the power band except the top end where it is not practical.
20hp from a throttle body is big talk.
Forced induction is the only time where an increased throttle body size would be considered, or perhaps a N/A race build. Anything else is just wishful thinking and a waste of money,
Taking the 1ZZ throttle body and sticking it on a 1Nz-FE motor is the equivlent of a 1/2 in pipe with a 1in pipe right in the middle of it, It is a huge difference in size.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So deviousxA... Are you going to be able to do before and after dyno runs with this change? It would be very interesting to see. I not only want to know if it makes more power, but where. And whether or not you actually lose power in the bottom end.

By the way, some quick checking showed you could pick up an intake and throttle body for right around $400 out of a junk yard. A little less if you get lucky. Price for the whole 1ZZ-FE? Around $500-$600. It might be worth it to buy a whole motor, then ebay it after you pull the intake and throttle body.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frogbox
Our throttle bodies are just about at max flow for our motors, only thing would be to go with one about the size of the 1.8 Corolla.

And for those that talk about not doing any good on a stock motor, a good example is the throttle body swap done on Neons. with them going to a TB from an auto trans, which was larger, gave about 20 more hp. Have done it before.

For those thinking of boring one out, look at the ECHO forums, they have done it and it works.

dear Scorpious01,
If your going to quote someone, please quote the entire post, not just what you wish people to see. If you read the first line ( quoted above) I have a question for you, Do you understand what was said? Do you think I don't know a Chrysler product for a toyota?apparently not.

And so back to the subject, I have already tried the Corolla TB, just wanting other people to see if my experience was a fluke. That is why every time this subject is brought up I SUGGEST THE TB FROM THE 1.8 COROLLA ( yes I raised my voice).

I been building cars for many many years, I have even passed my experience onto others so as to become ASE Certified Mechanics, so I do know of what I speak ( if you want to believe it or not).

Not trying to flame as others have done, just getting some of these PITA's to learn something.

And Scorpius01 , if you wish I can fill you in a bit more in PM about a few of the findings I have uncovered. ( this is so I don't have to put anyone in there place in public forums)
Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

give it to me to swap with! haha
Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is a formula you guys might try...

(Max RPM/2 x Displacement)/1728

this is a formula for figuring out the flow needed for a motor.
Displacement should be in cubic inches.

you'll need 110% max flow with a N/A motor, thats the max before losing torque.

you will find that our motors are at that flow now.( give or take 5%)

have fun
Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

question......you say max flow.....max flow for what thou?.....i mean if more air is going into our motors and the MAF shows this to the ECU, the computer should correctly supply the needed amount of fuel to make an acceptable ignition of the mixture with little or no knock/detonation....and in theory the longer runners on the IM itself should allow for minimal loss of torque if not gaining quite a bit.....just off of comparison of the TB....talk about a bottle neck if you actually look at ours..the inner diam. of it is tiny and the butterfly as well....with this swap throttle responce should be significantly increased......as to previous questions.........yes the intake is of the same plastic design as ours just some variations.....sensors are plug and play....meaning same part# as ours for the TPS....no need for different MAF as ours is needed for our ECU(1nz)......the throttle cable will be perfect....the TB is at a slightly upward angle due to the IM design this is a plus due to the difference in size if it went straight like ours does it would have some modifications needed to the throttle cable and maybe some other things but as it is now the cable will be sweet....the gasket im using is for the 03 1zz
Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

deviouseXA even thought you can out a larger TB onto the XA or XB yes you will increas the volume potentail into the motor the motor itself can only take in as much air as it can every time the intake valves open. but by increasing the air volume you slow the valocity of the air into the motor that hurt low end touque. the loss of low end tourque will give you problems in stop and go driving and you will see a drop of MPG i have never dynoed my XB but i belive our motors make theremax tourque at 5800 RPM some one corect me if im wrong the fact that our motor make its peak tourque at such i high RPM close to redline mean that there is very little restriction in the intake path i can elaborate more if any one need to show what i mean if i confuse any one
Old 11-15-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

you know its funny...as soon as i posted it dawned on me the theory in what you guys are saying.....if anything itll be a trial and error and myabe ill end up staying with the 1nz for now BUT when i go boosted i think this will for sure help alot.....but for now well see.....think the cams off the 1zz would match up to ours? higher lift and longer duration.....ehhhh another day, one hurdle at a time
Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, it was at the very least, a decent idea to get power, just doesnt work, oh well.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing you have to worry about is drivability. I've put larger throttle bodies on cars before, and it can drastically affect the way the vehicle drives. When I had a Ford Focus, I put a 65mm throttle body on it -- that's 8 mm larger than the stock unit. Granted, the Focus' throttle body was very small, but when I installed the 65mm unit, throttle resonse was much better. However, there were things to worry about.

It's useless to put a larger throttle body on without port matching the intake manifold. In fact, if you don't do that, the TB can stick (I've had it happen). Plus, you won't get the increased performance without a port match.