Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CLUTCH RELATED QUESTIONS... 2005 xA

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CLUTCH RELATED QUESTIONS... 2005 xA

Hello all, I have a 2005 xA RS1 with almost 130,000 miles on it. I'm trying to plan ahead for clutch replacement time. I'm looking for a few questions answered as follows;

1. At what mileage did your xA (or xB) require the clucth replaced?

2. Does anyone have any feedback on either the TRD Clutch or any of the Center force Clutches available for the xA?

3. Does anyone have any tips on a DIY clutch job? Also, an approximate amount of labor hours involved?

4. Other than the Pilot and Throw Out bearings, are there any other serviceable parts (besides resurfacing the flywheel obviously) that could or should be replaced whilst the transmission is out of the vehicle? (i.e. Rear main seal? Starter? Half shafts?)

5. While we're at it, any other high mileage replacements that people have endured? Fuel Pumps? Coil Packs? ECU? Alternators? AC Compressors? Water Pumps? etc.

Thanks a ton for your anticipated help with this matter!

-Jose
Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1.) not yet
2.) Spend less money on any other stage 2 clutch vs the TRD. I prefer clutchmaster. Not a puck clutch, but a solid carbon kevlar disc.. (or 6 puck if you want one).
3.) Tips? Get yourself a true factory service manual, or the $20 All Data account for one vehicle, follow it. Take your time, lose no bolts, and use the alignment tool correctly. Labor = 9 hours for a first timer, with some idea, to 4 hours for experienced.
4.) Due to mileage, I would hit the rear main while there.. its another 15-20 minutes of work. Be clean and do it right, be cautious of flipping the seals when installing.
5.) not yet
Old 11-21-2009, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

replace the input shaft seal on trans too and would def look into light weight fly wheel for a bit more pep while you have the trans out... i have fidanza fly wheel with act stg3 would not recomend stg3 would look at stg2 solid disk like what xb crew said, puck disk ar a bit harsh on engagement and def find semi kevlar carbon disk will last much longer you may never replace it again if you got 130,000 outta factory. i saved 9.5 lbs of rotational mass by using light weight flywheel and act clutch setup... find you a friend that has skillz in cars you two or three could have the job done in 2 1/2 4 hours tops... i replaced mine 3 times so far only due to buying a cheap clutch setup DO NOT use spec racing had two disks throw out the springs in the hubs. both had under 10,000 miles on em. act works good for me....
Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input. Car is up to 140k now and I've got some vacation time from work so I'm diving in.

Anyone else out there have any road blocks or "troublesome angles" they remember dealing with whilst replacing their xA clutch?