Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cold Air Intake a Myth??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey not to be mean but...

I still don't see how one test comparing the in-cabin temperature to the temperature of one location in the engine bay shows anything about the effectiveness of cold air intakes in general.

It seems to me, at best, you are showing that the stock intake system wouldn't draw much hotter air than a CAI (nevermind the whole airflow issue). But your test doesn't account for the fact that the in-cabin temperatures may be inflated.
The problem with your tests, as is, is:
No proper conclusions can be drawn b/c no solid baseline has been established. Your indoor temps can be modified by any number of variables: Still air, the sun shinining on it, any venting, heating or cooling (though I'm assuming you turned all those things off).
It doesn't actually compare a CAI location to the stock location (if you had two of those temperature monitor things you could do this easily).

That said, the stock intake set-up isn't that bad in terms of where it draws air. The reason most ppl get ride of it though, is b/c its a convoluted mess in terms of air-flow.
Now if you are trying to prove that a CAI doesn't have much to gain (temp wise) over a SRI in the xB, then yes you are pretty much correct.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Chimney, you'r not mean, just made a simple oversight. The picture shows the thermometer on the OUTSIDE of the windshield, not inside. Therefore it is reading the air temp outside the cabin. As you are driving the air temp that it reads does in fact represent a good indication of what the outside air temp is, within the accuracy of the instrument.
The probe that is attached to the thermometer is placed inside the airhorn of the air intake, directly behind the headlight, a TYPICAL placement of the filter for aftermarket cold air intakes. So it has nothing to do with the fact that it is the factory air intake.
In the photograph the "inside" temp reading represents what the air temp is at the placement of the unit on the outside of the car. The "outside" temp reading is what was going into the air horn. As you can see, the air under the hood is higher than the outside temp, but my point is that it's not really that big a difference. That is/was my point. The air going into the aftermarket units is no different than the air going into the stock units. Notice, I make no judgements on the difference in the air paths or any turbulence difference. I don't know the answers to those questions but I have opinions!

Walt
Old 10-09-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The gains from the intakes available for these cars is only on the flow rate of the filter and removing all the crazy bends out of the stock system. The stock paper filter does not flow well. If you ran the stock setup without a filter you would get dang near close to those $250 intakes... then just put a straight pipe on the throttle body instead of the twisty pipes in the stock system and there ya go.

Thus, for 'performance gain' factor, the YDR is the only one to get... spending more than the $85 is ONLY for show and shine.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i am trying to keep witha blue and cf theme for my BOP xB. thats the only reason i am goin with the K&N typhoon. actually i lied. K&N puts out a strong number, 8.1 hp increase, it has the Trusted name, been number one in most sports for aftermarket filters, and intake performance. Has a nice sound added to it. And is desinged to be used even where high moisture could be a problem. it has that dry sack that helps dispurse moisture, and i believe i have read that the cone filter has been designed to help keep it from sucking up water into the intake. and it is BLUE...

any word how the K&N sounds and performs with the Borla Dual exhaust? i hope it doesn't sound $hitty. anyone try this yet?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the CAI would benifit most in an engine bay that is considerably hotter already, such as with a turbo. I would doubt that the scion's engines get that hot to justify a CAI.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have seen my IAT go up to 100 degrees F. That was in September on a 60-65 degree day. Granted I had just got done having fun launching the car 0-60 for the first time and had stopped the vehicle and idled for a little bit. Now my intake temp doesnt get above 60. I have the ultimate cold air intake, it's called October through April in Alaska! (oh and I'm getting those temp readings directly from the car's computer so thats the actual reading the computer is using)
Old 10-13-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by "akxb
However I'm in Alaska and snow is on it's way soon. I might wait till after winter to purchase an intake.
[hijack]

Another Alaskan? Head over to the "everywhere else" forum and introduce yourself to the rest of the AK Scion Club! We'd be glad to have you at our next meet!

[/hijack]