Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Cold Air/Short Ram Intake Performance???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cold Air/Short Ram Intake Performance???

What kinda intake are you running? and what kinda performance gains do you see?

I gotta stock stick box and when i'm in 5th at about 3000rpms i'm at like 60mph, at about 3500rpms i'm at like 70, and at 4000rpms i'm at about 80mph.

in 4th gear at 2500rpms i'm at about 35mph, and at about 3000rpms i'm at 40mph if i remembered that right.

what kinda numbers you putting up (or is this not even a good way to compare performance)?

just wondering
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cold Air/Short Ram Intake Performance???

Originally Posted by rhin0sb
What kinda intake are you running? and what kinda performance gains do you see?

I gotta stock stick box and when i'm in 5th at about 3000rpms i'm at like 60mph, at about 3500rpms i'm at like 70, and at 4000rpms i'm at about 80mph.

in 4th gear at 2500rpms i'm at about 35mph, and at about 3000rpms i'm at 40mph if i remembered that right.

what kinda numbers you putting up (or is this not even a good way to compare performance)?

just wondering

thats not a good way to compare performance dude haha but yea i got a Injen Short Ram intake and along with my other mods i can take a tc, civic, and integra here and there but dont expect to much out of an intake
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks itsme.

just trying to figure a way i could understand the performance gains.

itsme, i hear the injen (or short rams in general) helps provide more power in the lower part of the power band. is my analogy more telling of performance gains in the higher end of the powerband? with your injen would you perhaps be going faster in say 2nd gear at about 2500rpms than a stock stick box? is this a better analogy, or just a horrible analogy all together?

to everybody else how are your performance gains?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do a search in the drivetrain and power section. this has come up over and over again.

basically short-rams are for people that are scared to death of hydrolocking with a cold air intake, which actually provides more power.

more low end power really isn't that important because you shouldn't be using the low end since that would be lugging the transmission and the heavy load and stress aren't good for the parts. high end power is what you want to carry you to the top of the powerband.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks drax, i've done some searches and read a bunch of the same stuff, i'm just trying to figure another way to understand the performance gains.

when i first thought about adding power i thought about Cold Air Intakes, but after reading the intake review in the drivetrain/power section, i thought more about getting the Injen Short Ram. Now every once in awhile i read something new that makes me flip flop my mind.

As of right now I'm still thinking of the Injen IS2100, cheap, good, and easy to put in. But yeah, i've read about how cold airs provide more power at the top end and that sounds good but i'm not sure what i want.

overall, i want to go faster (doesn't everybody). but specifically i wanna go faster on the freeways, which it sounds like a cold air would help to do more, but then i'd also like to go faster up the mountains, (or probably more appropriately) not as slowly up the mountain, which i'm thinkin a short ram would be good for cause i'm always in lower gears and lower rpms when going uphills. Is my thinking right? am I thinking in 2 different directions?

I got more questions after this one

thanks everybody
Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no. when you downshift, you are shifting to bring your rpms up so that you are in the more powerful stretch of your powerband, therefore your rpms would be higher and that is where you'd want the most power. you upshift when you are at the end of your powerband and want to continue accelerating, so you shift as close to redline as possible to have the highest rpms you can in the next gear.

your not going to be shifting to be at 1500 rpms when your going up a hill. your going to be shifting to be at more like 4000 rpms and climb to 6000 rpms, upshift, and your be back at 4000 rpms again.

you want to be in your low rpms when your cruising, and want to get the best mpg possible.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've never been up to 6000rpms, ever... i'll try it tonight. thanks, did i mention this was my first stick car ever and i love it.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

highest i ever got to was 4k rpms. I'm afraid to go over that. Don't want to hurt my baby......lol.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get up to 6000rpms all day everyday for the past two years since i've had my box
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

same here i have a injen short ram and ran my car in pomona this weekend and it helped alot got 1st,and 2nd all up to 6k rpms and it felt good been doing it for 2 years and never had a problem (knocks on wood) good luck with what you choose
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superboxcarxb
highest i ever got to was 4k rpms. I'm afraid to go over that. Don't want to hurt my baby......lol.
not going to hurt your box going up to redline, it only hurts it if you go over redline.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so last night i took my car to 5000rpms getting up to like 90mph but didn't go further cause of other cars on the road.

i normally cruise on the freeways around 75-80mph and normally shift somewhere between 3000-3500rpms. i can see getting up to 6000rpms being really fun, but it wasn't the right time to do it. next week on my way to arizona will be the right time. that being said, i don't think i'd be going past 5000rpms that much cause that would just be wasting gas.

now, regarding my main concern about getting up to the mountains faster to go riding; i believe i'd be in lower gears, so does this mean it would be better to get a short ram to feed the lower end of the power band some more juice?

next; since i've heard that short rams provide more power in the lower end and cold air intakes do more for the higher end of the power band, i have to ask where is this lower and higher end. are we talking like 0-3000 for the low and 4500 and up for the low (random guess)? help me understand more about this.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you need more low end power if your towing something or pulling tree trunks out of the ground. your aren't doing either.

now then, low end is about 0 to 2000 rpms mid range would be about 2000 to 4000, and top end would be 4000 to 6000 rpms.

now, lets say your cruising at like 60 mph around 3000 rpms in 5th gear. there is a hill, you want more power to go up the hill. your going to downshift to 4th gear and go up to about 5000 rpms, hopefully accelerate to about 6000 rpms, upshift, your at 4000 rpms in 5th gear around 70 to 80 mph (i don't know xb gear ratios versus speeds, these are guesses)

you are relying on high end power to carry your rpms up to the next gear shift. your never going to shift to 1000 rpms and accelerate. you have no power there, even with a short ram intake.

the only time your car should see 2000 rpms is when your just cruising at a steady speed, and don't plan on accelerating. if you wanted to accelerate rapidly, you'd downshift to be around 4000 rpms or whereever your engine develops the most amount of torque.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
you need more low end power if your towing something or pulling tree trunks out of the ground. your aren't doing either.

now then, low end is about 0 to 2000 rpms mid range would be about 2000 to 4000, and top end would be 4000 to 6000 rpms.

now, lets say your cruising at like 60 mph around 3000 rpms in 5th gear. there is a hill, you want more power to go up the hill. your going to downshift to 4th gear and go up to about 5000 rpms, hopefully accelerate to about 6000 rpms, upshift, your at 4000 rpms in 5th gear around 70 to 80 mph (i don't know xb gear ratios versus speeds, these are guesses)

you are relying on high end power to carry your rpms up to the next gear shift. your never going to shift to 1000 rpms and accelerate. you have no power there, even with a short ram intake.

the only time your car should see 2000 rpms is when your just cruising at a steady speed, and don't plan on accelerating. if you wanted to accelerate rapidly, you'd downshift to be around 4000 rpms or whereever your engine develops the most amount of torque.

from the looks of things u are basically teaching someone how to drive a stick except in a more detailed version of just gas and clutch balanceing
Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM
SL Member

I have a K&N CAI, and I definitely noticed a small gain in performance and an even larger gain when combined with my other mods. The K&N is one of the only cold air intakes that doesn't have a bunch of superfluous bends. It just goes straight from the intake manifold down into the fender. The injen intake loops over itself for some reason. I never understood why.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tercel95
I have a K&N CAI, and I definitely noticed a small gain in performance and an even larger gain when combined with my other mods. The K&N is one of the only cold air intakes that doesn't have a bunch of superfluous bends. It just goes straight from the intake manifold down into the fender. The injen intake loops over itself for some reason. I never understood why.
not mines, mines does what yours does
Old 10-25-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itsme
Originally Posted by draxcaliber

from the looks of things u are basically teaching someone how to drive a stick except in a more detailed version of just gas and clutch balanceing
well, i'm trying to explain, what is the facination with adding power to the low end when your going to be shifting to the top end of the rpm band?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM
SL Member

Default ...

This is the one I was talking about it has all of these bends.

As opposed to:

Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Save your money! I installed a TRD (AEM) CAI on my '06 xA a few weeks after I took delivery. I can honestly say, other than the awsome sound, there was absolutely NO lower ET or a noticeable increase in power, gas mileage, etc. I bought one because I believed the hype and BS that I read in these forums. This was absolutely the stupidest thing I ever spent money on. The best expenditure was a rear sway bar. But, if I had to choose, I would pick the short one. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just put the YDR short ram intake with K&N filter on both of our toasters this weekend. Rear end dyno feels great, revs well into the 6k range with no restrictions. Couple that with the $75 price tag, it just couldn't be beat. It's basically an Injen ripoff.

Quick Reply: Cold Air/Short Ram Intake Performance???