Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

considering transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default considering transmission swap

After thinking about it for a long time I'm seriously considering gettin the cash together to swap out my auto tranny. Im just plain sick of it. I know that probably more than 3/4s of the people reading this are going to say "shoulda gotten stick to begin with" or "your better off trading it in" but really this is what I want to do and im just looking for any sort of help.

Has anyone eles done this? if so how'd it go?

Does anyone know where i can find a complete parts list to complete the swap.

Any advice would be great.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well like i said before in PM, the C150 in there for you. i also just posted in another thread that the C52 from a starlet EP82 should fit aswell and the C160 6speed is proven to fit also. the only thing i don't have for you is all the other neccessary conversion pieces such as pedals, master cylinder settings and all that. it WOULD actualy almost be worth finding a manual xB and trading. but finding the one you want with what ever accesseries you want will be hard... or take it to the dealership's auto shop and get charged up the butthole for it and know that they are most likely doing it all right...
Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll most likely end up taking it to the dealership, it needs to be done right ya know? but uh yeah that C160 sounds sexy. A 6-speed xb just sounds sweet to me. I could definatly go for that but what type of modification would be reqired to fit it well, and what car is it from?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, paying a dealership to do it right? this is what is going to happen. your going to pay a fortune, and it won't be done right, and they won't stand behind their work because this isn't something your average toyota dealership does. you can take it to a good tranny shop, or performance shop that does this, but not your dealership.

and seriously, after the bills and downtime and headaches, and the stacked odds of something going wrong, just trade in for a manual for the piece of mind and knowing that the box will be able to actually run everyday.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll have to go searching in junkyards for it most likely. i believe it's from the Corolla AE101 or AE92 i think. it bolts right up to the engine, but you have to cut a small piece of the fram out in order to be able to lift it up into position. after that, reinforcing the frame with some good thick pieces should do the job. you'll also need the Corolla's type S trany seal and Bell housing. if your lucky you might find one with an LSD and have more fun that way and better purpotioned power to the wheels. the problem with having the C160 though... the gears are quicker then the C150's. another down side is that 6 speed tranys are weaker then 5 speed tranys because they have smaller parts so they handle alot less power depending on what they were built for. you can have ever *if you wanted to dig deep enough into your pockets* get a 6 speed rebuilt to handle more power... but even though you're still going to end up with the same weak trany problem because the parts that blow out just so happen to be the ones that have to be made of certain mterials due to wear and tear characteristics.

i would sugjest looking into a C52 which is basicly the same thing as the C150 only has a longer final drive which make for a higher top and slightly longer gears *top end EXAMPLE, 136mph max for C150 at 6,000rpm, 156mph max for C52 at 6,000rpm*.

OR one last option you COULD do i swtich out the final gear set. TRD supplies these such kits but you'd have to go through say Island Motor sport or World One Performance or something because these are strickly JDM, simular to the TRD rear frame brace. this final gear set is actualy for the Toyota Vitz *Yaris and Echo* but being it's still the 1NZFE engine and still the same transmission we're dealing with here, i BELIEVE it would still work just fine. cost is around $400-500 based on over seas shipping and Trade Customs charges but TRD does have it available here : http://trdparts.jp/english/list_race-mis_ncp13.html
Old 06-03-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i just posted probably a bunch of stuff that can and can't be much help to this but it's there for you now haha. i still recommend finding a manual and trading cause it's going to be a pain. i have some pretty hardcore ideas and plans my self but i just don't see the joy in sayin "ya this use to be a auto but i converted it..."...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more trouble than it's worth. trade it in on a manual.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not tradin it, i'll sooner accept being stuck with auto. I know its stupid, but i love my car. Not just the xB but this specific car that got me even caring about cars. Idunno, whatever.

Good point about the dealership thing, screw that. But really it needs to work so if this whole thing is likely to just screw up my whole car maybe i should just give up.

Should I not give up, however, could i sell the automatic parts anywhere? That could help a bit with that whole money thing.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:14 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

probably be better off going with the stuck with an auto thing...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well this blows
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i understand how you feel sorta. if my tc got totalled, and i got a nice settlement to buy a new car. i don't know if i could feel the same just buying a new tc because it would mean as much to me as the first one. i've simply developed an unhealthy bond with my 05 tc and it could never be filled buying a new 07 tc, or a used 05 tc.

in this case, you want to keep your first box, but you want it to be a manual. doing a transmission swap is not a simple easy task. either you spend alot of money to get it done, and hopefully done right, or you take the easier safer route and trade it in for a manual box.

i'm all for the bond between man and machine, but there is also a bond between me and my money that tends to sway things all the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^what he said
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
well this blows
Hey. I hope you ended up doing the swap. I'm right there with you about loving the specific car. I did the auto to manual and it was the best money I have spent on the car.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo16
Hey. I hope you ended up doing the swap. I'm right there with you about loving the specific car. I did the auto to manual and it was the best money I have spent on the car.
Any details about your swap? I have modifications in this xB that are pretty permanent, and its a matter of time until the auto trans blows up. At that point, I figured a manual swap would be fairly easy once the parts are collected.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo16
Did you have to weld the clutch pedal assembly to the firewall? Seems like alot of hassle to me..but hey if you got the tools/knowledge/money/time/effort...then more power for you!

Never looked nor do I want to swap, just for anyone else who wants to know
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This swap was never done.

READ.

CLOSED.