Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CV Boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default CV Boot replacement

I have a torn CV boot on the inboard drivers side axle. I bought the boot kit and I am ready to tackle the replacement. Question. How hard of a job will it be? Any precautions to removing the axle?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did you get a full replacement boot, or what is called a "quick boot"?

Full replacement boots will require the removal and disasembly of the axle in order to properly install the boot. It's very time consuming and messy.

A "quick boot" it a split style cv boot that is either glued or fastend together on one side and doesn't require the disassembly of the axle. It's much easier to do, but is not as reliable.

In all honesty, if you have the regular style replacemnt boot you will be much better off replacing the whole axle than just the boot. You may pay a bit more for it up front (about 70.00 at Advance Auto Parts for a New one) but it will make life much happier.

As for actually removing the axle, make sure you fully unstake the axle nut before trying to remove it. There is 165lb ft of torque on the nut which is a 12 point 30MM socket.

You will need to unbolt the two bolts that hold the bottom of the strut and remove it from the steering knuckle. Also you will need to unbolt and disconnect the tie rod to allow the knuckle to swing out so you can slide the cv axle out of the knuckle.

You will also need a slide hammer style axle puller to remove the axle from the transmission.

Dont forget to drain transmission fluid before doing any of this.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well, I went ahead and replaced the boot with out much trouble. It was easier putting it back in than taking in out. Had to rent a slide hammer axle puller from the local autozone, but you get all you money back when you return it. Interesting note: I called the local Scion dealer to inquire about having them replace the boot (told them I had the boot kit, just needed to pay for the labor) and was told they will only install an entirely new cv axle. Needless to say, that would have cost hundreds of more dollars than just a boot. Another way for them to stick it to you.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Glad you replaced the boot instead of the ENTIRE expensive shaft! You saved some good money...
Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for raising an old thread; but this is exactly what I needed to read. Perhaps others may benefit from uber-xA-RS2's nice write up.
My Boot is slit the whole way around. And after 140,000+ miles, I may as well replace the whole axle (all of $70, big deal) - make life "easier"

Last edited by LowerLevelMan; 07-01-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:00 AM

i was told after market axles are no good?