Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY: Manual Transmission Drain and Fill (1st gen xB)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY: Manual Transmission Drain and Fill (1st gen xB)

Tools:

a. 24mm socket, with an extension (about 12").
b. Floor jack and wheel chocks.
c. Long narrow funnel, oil drip pan.
d. 2 quarts of 75W-90 GL-5 gear oil.

Steps:

1. Make sure the car is at operating temperature. If not, take it around the neighborhood for a few minutes, then park it on a flat surface. Make sure the e-brake is applied and it is in gear.

2. Locate the transmission filler plug (located just to the left of the car battery) and remove it. You'll need the 24mm socket with an extension to reach it.

3. Look under the front driver side of the vehicle and locate the 24mm drain plug. Place your oil drip pan beneath it. You can remove this nut with either a socket or wrench. Let it drain.

4. While it is draining, chock the front wheel(s), and with the floor jack, locate the jack point at the center rear of the car. Raise the vehicle as high as the jack will safely go. This should incline the vehicle some more and enable more of the transmission oil to drain out.

5. Once it has stopped draining, lower the floor jack, and remove the wheel chocks. Clean the drain hole, insert the drain plug, hand tighten, then tighten with the socket or wrench about another quarter turn. This should be tight enough.

6. Locate the filler hole and insert the narrow funnel. Pour in 2 quarts of your transmission oil. Remove funnel and insert filler plug. Tighten by hand, then give it a quarter turn with your socket drive. That's it.

There are a number of different brands of gear oils out there. I read good things about the Eneos brand, so I decided to try it out. I live in southern California, and surprisingly, I was unable to locate a dealer that sold it. I ended up finding a business on eBay (swervemotorsports.com). I ordered 4 qts on a Tuesday, and had the oil in my hands on Thursday. Not bad, considering they are located in NY! I paid $47.99, which included shipping, which is comparable to what I'd pay if I bought off the shelf.
Note: I have no affiliation with this business, I just appreciate good customer service, and feel it worthy of mention.

Disclaimer:
Please note, I take no responsibility for any personal injury or vehicular damage while performing this. Please do not undertake this procedure if you are unsure of what to do.

Last edited by Ford_Falcon; 07-14-2012 at 11:56 PM.