Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

the dreaded vsc/trac off/check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 AM

Default the dreaded vsc/trac off/check engine light.

hi, total NEWB here. have had my 04' Scion since i bought it new in Dec 03. great car never had a problem with it. do routine maintenance and it runs like a charm. it's got approx. 122K miles on it.

i have found several threads pertaining to the vsc/trac off/check engine light. but none where it has come on right after an oil change. prior to the oil change, i did a motor flush. looking online, it's sort of hit or miss on the engine flush. whether it's good or bad. but the brand i used, i couldn't really find anything that said it screwed up a motor. i noticed there was a little bit of sludge and that's why i did it.

keep in mind all of this was done by myself. i've be sort of 50/50 when it comes to oil changes. sometimes i take it in, sometimes DIY.

after the oil cap was put on, i started the car up. cool, then the engine started to knock a little bit, then subsided. then the check engine light vsc/trac light came on. shut id down immediately. let it sit for a few minutes. started it back up again. runs fine. took it around the block. great acceleration, still plenty of pep, no more knocking.

i am thinking that the flush dislodged some of the sludge. and some still remained even after i drained the oil, making it run funny. now the sludge may be broken down? and the sludge screwed up a sensor, giving me the check engine light?

after cooling down for a couple of hours, i went back outside and started it up again. seems fine. regardless, im going to take it in to have it looked at, check the warning lights. im am hoping i did not TOTALLY HOSE the motor.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, those lights come on for ANY problem throughout the car. I would definitely take it in and run it for the CEL codes and see what comes up. At least the car isnt totally pooping out on ya.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 AM

thanks. i HAD to drive it today. no problems. a little knocking while it was warming up. takin it in tomorrow.