Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Engine teardown and inspection, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Engine teardown and inspection, any tips?

Due to the unfortinate outcome of my recent arbitration dispute with Toyota:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...814&highlight=

I will be doing an engine swap. The donor engine is out of an RS2 with 20k miles on it. The owner put in a 350 and no longer had use for the stock block. He said it was running fine when it was pulled, though I could not verify. it came with the auto trans attached. I will be doing the following:

1) Compression check - the engine has an AT still attached, so I will be manually connecting power and cranking it over to verify compression. The engine does turn by hand fairly easily (hand on the crank pulley, no bar needed) with the spark plugs out. Oil and trans fluid are still full. No belt is attached.

2) Teardown - I'll be de-coupling the transmission and mounting it on an engine stand. Next, the oil pump assembly cover and timing chain come off, then the head and oil pan assembly. I'll be inspecting the valves to see if they are bent or not seating properly, the cylinder walls for scoring, and the connecting rods for any damage. If everything looks good, it gets put back together. If something is bad, repair will be needed.

3) Build-up - I picked up a new head gasket, water pump gasket, two o-rings for the oil pump assembly, and pick-up tube gasket. Two seperate squeeze-tube gasket materials are called for on the oil pump cover, though parts told me standard black RTV will work fine, can anyone confirm this?

4) Install - fortunately (maybe?) Toyota pulled the old engine before they made the non-warranty determination, so that part is done. They left the A/C pulley and power steering pump lines hooked up, so no recharge will be needed. I have two sets of motor mounts to use and kept all the other hardware from the old engine as well so shouldn't be missing any bolts.

5) Cross fingers and turn the key.

I'll be taking plenty of pictures to do a write-up and will be working off of the Toyota 04-05 xB service manual. if anyone had done this before or even a full-engine swap without teardown and has any tips or pointers let me know. I've worked on domestics and older 4-cylinder imports but this is my first xB.

I also have some other parts from the RS2, if anyone needs a front wiper assembly, heater core / interior ducts, passenger airbag or radiator let me know.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Good luck, sir.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it that same xB 350 v-8 pics thats been floating around here lately? if so thats awesome!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, it was his. I know some people were complaining it looked like a hack job; those pictures were taken from the original functional check only. he didn't want to do all the detail work before he knew it would work. When I went over to pick up the 1NZ, the whole front end was disassembled again and he was in the process of putting in all new custom sheet metal work and Jet-Hotted polished trim. He was also about to redo the rear bumper to have the exhaust cutouts for the dual pipes line up since they were no longer in the stock location. The guy has a really nice shop and a dedicated paint booth, and will have spent quite a bit in mod work over what he actually paid for the car. The taped off firewall holes are gone and all weld seams will be ground down and painted, I'll give him a call to see what events he'll be showing up at.