Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Flywheel Options and Characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Flywheel Options and Characteristics

I have seen people mentioning flywheels on this board here and there. Some people seem to really like them. Some people have tried them then offered their after market flywheel up for sale.

There's not much information to go on for our engine and the sellers are not providing us with much more info than the weight of their flywheel; they do not even compare it to stock!

Unfortunately, there are other things to consider like inertia, which has more to do with mass distribution than net mass.
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/Physic...ntInertia.html

So I want to compile a list of available flywheels and information about them and the track records of the manufacturers so that we can all make good decisions.
I want to also include information like balance, intertia (particularly the percent reduction over stock), material, and durability.

Please give me info (experiences or product details) and links so that I can update this list.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:49 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

i would never buy aluminum
    there is a reason you do not see any Japanese performace cars with aluminum flywheels
    on higher than Scion HP levels the aluminum will shatter leaving a very dissappointed driver

chromoly is the only acceptable material for a clutch..but..
    given the engine in question it is more a matter of usage
    what kind of racing do you plan on doing??

technically it does not matter which flywheel since the 1NZFE couldn't produce enough torque to kill a flywheel
    if you do get one...find a place to balance it with the rest of the clutch components...this will answer your mass distribution concearn

also might want a short shifter to take advantage of the engine acceleration speed increase
    Old 02-05-2006, 03:56 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Really? I never heard of the shattering. Uhg. More research to do.
    Do you know specifically why it shatters? Sudden changes in rotation?

I will be trying a SCCA Solo event in March. That sounds like it will be fun and one of the few races I can get into with a street car. I LOVE turns.

Do people normally go out and get their performance clutches and flywheels balanced?
    Somebody who vouched for Fidanza said that some other bands had poor balance. I would have expected these parts to be balanced properly from the manufacturer.
    Old 02-05-2006, 03:22 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

for auto cross i wouldn't reccommend a lightweight flywheel since the increase in power is top end you'd want more torque from the stock one in autocross. as you know a light weight flywheel alows you to rev the engine faster but it doesn't hold the inertia as well. yes flywheels can shatter if not made correctly or by being too thin.
    Old 02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

i never take a chance at balance

but i have a local guy that does it, so i guess that makes it easier for me

i have every performace clutch assembly balanced
    heck, last build engine i send crank,rods,pistons,pulley,and clutch assembly to get balanced together

like i stated, the shattering was from massive power/torque in big car 700ft/lbs+
    the 1nzfe can't make that power...ever
    the choice is really your wallet

i think the shattered untis were ocuring in drift cars, where clutch engagement is uber rough

our engines are designed for mid-range torque
    try to take advantage of that
    a competition alignment will do more good and cost less than a flywheel
    and better trans fluid (yes..even manual can benefit)
    and practice, practice, practice
    Old 02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Hmmm.... okay.
    I've read that starting from a stop is more difficult, but that after the start it really takes off with a lighter flywheel. Very confusing indeed.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Old 02-05-2006, 04:16 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Originally Posted by TXboxdriver
    i have every performace clutch assembly balanced
    heck, last build engine i send crank,rods,pistons,pulley,and clutch assembly to get balanced together
    the choice is really your wallet
    our engines are designed for mid-range torque
    try to take advantage of that
    a competition alignment will do more good and cost less than a flywheel
    and better trans fluid (yes..even manual can benefit)
    and practice, practice, practice
    Wow! That's a lot of balancing.

Yeah, performance is a lot of cash.
    I've read about the little things like transmission fluid. Smoother shifts and such. I've seen a couple of brands recommended.

Yeah, practice makes perfect! I will probably not be buying much, let alone installing, until after I get some track experience.

Thanks
    Old 02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Aluminum flywheels are AMAZING! I have one in my BMW and there was such a huge differance in ghow the car performed. At full throttle, shifts are seamless. When shifting, the revs drop almost as fast as i can shift. And up shifting is even easier. Its definatly a performance mod, and well worth the money if that is what you are looking for!
    Old 02-05-2006, 06:38 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Hard to say with our little engines, but in most cars (my experience was with a ford and a Nissan) it's harder to start off from a stop smoothly. It can tend to make kind of a whiplash effect for unwitting passengers. Even when you try to ease it on, it will kind of burble then shoot forward. Also, when shifting gears while in motion, your rpms drop so fast that you kind of have to balance your gas clutch at all times to keep it from jerking- (this will remind you of learning to drive manual) but you can get used to it quick.
    The girlfriend (or guy) in your passenger seat will get annoyed quick,and probably think you drive like a jerky ___, if they aren't a tuner-lover.
    I think there are better ways to direct the power toward the wheels if this is going to be a daily driver. If you plan to rail this thing ***** out on your way to the grocery store, though, go for it.
    Old 02-06-2006, 02:06 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dexter_5000
    for auto cross i wouldn't reccommend a lightweight flywheel since the increase in power is top end you'd want more torque from the stock one in autocross. as you know a light weight flywheel alows you to rev the engine faster but it doesn't hold the inertia as well. yes flywheels can shatter if not made correctly or by being too thin.
    Why do you think its bad for circuit racing. At least for my track i think they should work just fine. As PoBoyxB wrote the revs drop as quick as you can shift, so i dont think there should be a problem. Unless you have past expereince in that case please share. Here are some pictures from my racing today:

Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

you don't get up to speeds high enough to take full advantage of a light weight flywheel. if your revving that high it doesn't seem right on an auto cross track.
    Old 02-06-2006, 03:04 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

I'm waiting for some more info from some sellers. Hoping to get inertia info.

I was originally going to jump on a Fidanza + Clutchmasters combo offered by TurboCustomz.
    https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101956
    He said via PM that he would still honor the price if you are interested.

However, I am leaning towards the Kaiten because it is only a 70% reduction. I found the same FX300 clutch for less, which will offset the higher cost of this flywheel.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. It seems to me that I will just have to try it to know if it works for me.