Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Gear Oil Refill Plug broken and stripped and other sh*% :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 AM

Default Gear Oil Refill Plug broken and stripped and other sh*% :(

So recently I purchased a 5 speed 06 xb and it was great! I decided to do a tune up and replaced the motor oil, filter, spark plugs, and the damn gear oil... I wasn't really planning on doing this but after finding a DIY article on the internet on how to do it I decided it would be a good idea and pretty easy task. So I did everything last night and took it for a test drive. Engine was running better than before and shifting was way smoother!

This morning I went to check for any leaks and sure enough a tiny bit of gear oil had leaked out. I checked the drain plug first but everything was dry there. I went up to the refill plug and this was where it was leaking from. I loosened the plug than tightened it really well. The night before when I was trying to remove it was really damn tight! And being thatI had no torque wrench I decided to tighten it as much as it was originally.

Bad idea. Damn plug popped up and there was a spring inside and like a little shaft with a small ball bearing at the end. Part of the plug had broken and was still in the threads of the hole and some metal shavings could be seen. This was my first problem....then my dad came to see what had happened. He discovered some shavings had dropped into the whole and where on top of the exposed gears. I didnt know he was doing this, but he decided to take them out with a damn pin like those cushion pins or whatever the ones with the little plastic sphere at one end and dropped the damn pin into the gears!

I called a tow truck and when we were trying to get it to be pulled up on to the platform I discovered that shifting it into neutral from first was extremely hard almost impossible. I pulled hard on it and it went to neutral but the shift lever seemed to be stuck like you could barely move it side to side.

Now its at Toyota dealership and im really damn worried about the whole thing any ideas? Do you guys think it is this damn tiny pin thats causing shifting to be so hard? And what about the plug and portion of it thats stuck in the threads? : O

What exactly is this place where the gears are located called? Some guy at toyota said it was the differential is this right?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrTama
So recently I purchased a 5 speed 06 xb and it was great! I decided to do a tune up and replaced the motor oil, filter, spark plugs, and the damn gear oil... I wasn't really planning on doing this but after finding a DIY article on the internet on how to do it I decided it would be a good idea and pretty easy task. So I did everything last night and took it for a test drive. Engine was running better than before and shifting was way smoother!

This morning I went to check for any leaks and sure enough a tiny bit of gear oil had leaked out. I checked the drain plug first but everything was dry there. I went up to the refill plug and this was where it was leaking from. I loosened the plug than tightened it really well. The night before when I was trying to remove it was really damn tight! And being thatI had no torque wrench I decided to tighten it as much as it was originally.

Bad idea. Damn plug popped up and there was a spring inside and like a little shaft with a small ball bearing at the end. Part of the plug had broken and was still in the threads of the hole and some metal shavings could be seen. This was my first problem....then my dad came to see what had happened. He discovered some shavings had dropped into the whole and where on top of the exposed gears. I didnt know he was doing this, but he decided to take them out with a damn pin like those cushion pins or whatever the ones with the little plastic sphere at one end and dropped the damn pin into the gears!

I called a tow truck and when we were trying to get it to be pulled up on to the platform I discovered that shifting it into neutral from first was extremely hard almost impossible. I pulled hard on it and it went to neutral but the shift lever seemed to be stuck like you could barely move it side to side.

Now its at Toyota dealership and im really damn worried about the whole thing any ideas? Do you guys think it is this damn tiny pin thats causing shifting to be so hard? And what about the plug and portion of it thats stuck in the threads? : O

What exactly is this place where the gears are located called? Some guy at toyota said it was the differential is this right?
UUGGGGGGGGH ! That was not the drain or fill plug you used , it was part of the shift mechanism ( the little ball detent and spring was attached) if you dropped it in you'll need to get it out and replace it , lots of luck ( sounds like a dismantle of tranny).

The drain plug is on the bottom of the tranny , the fill plug is on the side , both are just like the plug where you change your oil ( engine)

Here is hoping you the best of luck.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:29 AM

This is the artile I used

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f14/diy...gen-24015.html

Im thinking a dismantle will be needed as well to take the damn pin out and to remove the stuck piece thats in the threading...I really hope I didnt mess up the threading