Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: Do ground wires make a difference?
yes
63.27%
no
36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

ground wires.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

They love to spout that kind of bull. Will they ever learn to just warranty stuff and not look for reasons to void warranty items. Stupid Stealerships
Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
tell them that they have to do tests to PROVE the ground wires/aftermarket stereo was the cause of the problem... Magnuson vs. Moss act states that they can only void the warranty if the modification is the DIRECT CAUSE for the warranted part's failure... THEY MUST PROVE THIS!!!!
haha how ironic you bring up that case, i just did a powerpoint project on that for my government class. sorry off topic
Old 03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ email that to the OP and tell him to take it to the dealer....

could you email me it as well?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brownKIDDnate
Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
tell them that they have to do tests to PROVE the ground wires/aftermarket stereo was the cause of the problem... Magnuson vs. Moss act states that they can only void the warranty if the modification is the DIRECT CAUSE for the warranted part's failure... THEY MUST PROVE THIS!!!!
haha how ironic you bring up that case, i just did a powerpoint project on that for my government class. sorry off topic
I would love to have a copy of that! surfcitylocal at gmail dot com
Old 03-29-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not worth the effort or expense. Won't hurt anything but definately won't help either. For the guys claiming a smooth 300 or 400 RPM idle, I'll have to call BS.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

thats your opinion. every body gets one. dont make it right but you get one.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

yeah, can you email that to me too
bannawagon@yahoo.com
Old 03-29-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jethro_b
The difference being my opinion is an educated opinion. My opinion can also be easily proven. This changes the opinion to fact.
jethro_b Posted: 3/26/06 10:27PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

svt_to_xb wrote:
Sciond wrote:
snake oil

I will say, I have a background in electromechanics. in my understanding in electronics. The cleaner and less resistant path you can give voltage,the better. It's not snake oil, It's basic electrical theory.
Exactly right on. Makes idle smoother and helps overall efficiency of the electrical system. Snake oil That's funny

Mine idles in drive at 400-500 rpms. Butter smooth
My "opinion" of this statement is that it is completely false. Please expound upon your theory for us less educated.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
The difference being my opinion is an educated opinion. My opinion can also be easily proven. This changes the opinion to fact.
jethro_b Posted: 3/26/06 10:27PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

svt_to_xb wrote:
Sciond wrote:
snake oil

I will say, I have a background in electromechanics. in my understanding in electronics. The cleaner and less resistant path you can give voltage,the better. It's not snake oil, It's basic electrical theory.
Exactly right on. Makes idle smoother and helps overall efficiency of the electrical system. Snake oil That's funny

Mine idles in drive at 400-500 rpms. Butter smooth
My "opinion" of this statement is that it is completely false. Please expound upon your theory for us less educated.
ok, let me try. Electricity, likes to take the path of least resistance. Meaning electricity flows much better threw a metal than a piece of wood or plastic or glass. Applying that theory to ground wires means, the larger the wire or metal and more conductive the material is, the more electricity likes it. Allowing for less resistance and less fluctuation in the voltage. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And to add to that, a smaller wire has more resistance in it than a larger wire. If you were to take a 100ft piece of 18 guage, and a 100ft piece of 4 guage and measure the resistance( type of metal makes a difference also), the 4 guage (because it is larger) will have less resistance when measured end to end with a meter. I will agree 4 guage might be overkill, but anything larger than what's stock is better.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

My car runs faster after I wax it too.
I'd say it's at least a 5 WHP gain.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You probably don't get more hp, funny. It just alows all the electronics in the vehicle to get more accurate readings.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I asked before in another thread for someone to post electrical measurements to backup the ground-wire gains proclamations, but nobody ever did.
I just won't buy anything without sufficient data to prove it's for real.
I understand all about electricity and how it works, but that does not mean your car will improve is a kit is used.
Think about it - if a $20 wire kit could do that much for a car's performance, why wouldn't car makers add one at the factory (or in the design phase)?

Scott
Old 03-29-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by svt_to_xb
And to add to that, a smaller wire has more resistance in it than a larger wire. If you were to take a 100ft piece of 18 guage, and a 100ft piece of 4 guage and measure the resistance( type of metal makes a difference also), the 4 guage (because it is larger) will have less resistance when measured end to end with a meter. I will agree 4 guage might be overkill, but anything larger than what's stock is better.
You are mistakenly concluding that the stock grounding system is somehow not up to the task. I can assure you that it is. If you run some large amplifiers or such, I would run the same gauge wire for ground as you run for power from the battery to the amp. Simple as that. As fot the cars electronics, you are trying to fix something that ain't broke. Take for example; If you had a D-cell battery hooked to a regular flashlight bulb with 22ga. bell wire, would changing the wire out to 4-gauge improve anything? According to your theory, all kind of improvements would occur. According to my theory, you just wasted some money on wire that will yield ZERO improvement. I guess it's just how you look at things..........
Old 03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by svt_to_xb
You are mistakenly concluding that the stock grounding system is somehow not up to the task. I can assure you that it is. If you run some large amplifiers or such, I would run the same gauge wire for ground as you run for power from the battery to the amp. Simple as that. As fot the cars electronics, you are trying to fix something that ain't broke. Take for example; If you had a D-cell battery hooked to a regular flashlight bulb with 22ga. bell wire, would changing the wire out to 4-gauge improve anything? According to your theory, all kind of improvements would occur. According to my theory, you just wasted some money on wire that will yield ZERO improvement. I guess it's just how you look at things..........
I agree with you to an extent, but were talking about alot more than one light bulb in this car. Another thing is better grounds reduce electrical noise. Which in turn help electronics.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

another thing to try is, before ground kit, my lights would go dim if I held up my power window button. With ground kit, it doesn't do that any more. Not that stock wasn't ok. ground wires just make it a little bit better.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ But again, you're assuming there's a problem or shortcoming to begin with.
All I ask is for some proof - some data - anything.
If I see it, I'll step right up and buy.

Scott
Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Another thing is better grounds reduce electrical noise. Which in turn help electronics.
What electrical noise were you having? My car didn't come with any.
my lights would go dim if I held up my power window button.
Which lights? The master switch shuts off after a momentary amperage increase. That's how the system was designed to work. Where's the problem? That's why I consider the typical spider web of ground wires the ultimate solution to a non-existant problem. This theoretical technology is nothing new and automotive engineers are extremely cognicent of the importance of a proper ground and as any fresh out of school junior engineer can tell you, a certain percentage of reserve capacity is built into most any system, so it begs the question: "What exactly are you fixing"????? If the grounding system is so lacking, by the communitive property wouldn't the positive side also benifit from an increase in wire gauge? Should we run 8ga wire to the computer and all the sensors and possibly even to the lights that dim when you hold your power switch up? Or have we narrowed the problem down to just the grounds? It seems almost too easy of a fix to toss a bunch of ground wires in the engine bay and cure all the ills of your electrical system. My car doesn't have too many of these problems and I have more electronics in it than most. Amazingly they all work just fine without the extra grounding of a grounding kit. Born lucky I guess...........
Old 03-30-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Another thing is better grounds reduce electrical noise. Which in turn help electronics.
Which lights? The master switch shuts off after a momentary amperage increase. That's how the system was designed to work. Where's the problem? That's why I consider the typical spider web of ground wires the ultimate solution to a non-existant problem. This theoretical technology is nothing new and automotive engineers are extremely cognicent of the importance of a proper ground and as any fresh out of school junior engineer can tell you, a certain percentage of reserve capacity is built into most any system, so it begs the question: "What exactly are you fixing"????? If the grounding system is so lacking, by the communitive property wouldn't the positive side also benifit from an increase in wire gauge? Should we run 8ga wire to the computer and all the sensors and possibly even to the lights that dim when you hold your power switch up? Or have we narrowed the problem down to just the grounds? It seems almost too easy of a fix to toss a bunch of ground wires in the engine bay and cure all the ills of your electrical system. My car doesn't have too many of these problems and I have more electronics in it than most. Amazingly they all work just fine without the extra grounding of a grounding kit. Born lucky I guess...........
blah blah blah....nobody is forcing you to buy a ground kit.. remember this is your opinion and if others get results what is your gripe??? I have a smoother idle and am very happy with my car..
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

blah blah blah....nobody is forcing you to buy a ground kit.. remember this is your opinion and if others get results what is your gripe??? I have a smoother idle and am very happy with my car..
One word.... Placebo
now they look good....cosmetics are nice.......

Quick Reply: ground wires.