Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Which header/exhaust/intake should i go with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's cuz i havenmt been able to get a job in 5 months even with 315 or 325 applications out. it sucks. but at least i can boast about my high post count , lol not. glad ya'll don't hate me.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

We could never hate you, you do contribute a lot. You're just opinionated like me.:D
Old 05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry guys, kinda ignorant.....i know stainless steel is better for looks, but i read somewhere that the ceramic was lighter and better for heat.....but i don't remember anything specific....so i was hoping you guys could help me out with that one thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Stainless steel is denser which = heavier, however, stainless steel is stronger as well so you can use thinner material which in the long run could wiegh less.

Also stainless steel holds in heat better than mild steel which is great when it comes to exhaust because the hotter the fumes inside the tube the faster they flow = higher hp outputs

1008 carbon steel has a density of .284 lbs/cubic inch where as 304 stainless is .285, so their weights are the same for the same size and gauge of tubing.

Stainless is simply a better insulator

quoted from a high end header builder
Old 05-10-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've got a few questions about ceramic headers vs. stainless steel headers...maybe someone could answer...

Ceramic headers reduce under-hood temperatures, they even stay cool to the touch. With all of the exhaust heat not radiating out of the header, is the exhaust gas temperature significantly higher?

If so, will it damage the catalytic converter and/or O2 sensors?

If you go w/ Ssteel headers and use thermal wrap on them, do you run into the same thing?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

don't be fooled by underhood temps. are they higher...oh so slightly!!

if i can find it i can also prove to you that cold air intakes are a waste of money. once your moving air is circulating in the engine bay. We used a thermometer to see the differences and at a stand still...yes the short ram intake is sucking hotter air..once its moving...nahhhhhh. I've also dynoed cold air and short ram intakes on a high hp normaly aspirated honda motor. we had a short ram intake on it and dyno'd. pulled it off and put on an AEM. the AEM made 15hp more. cool right? it was a crock. it made 15hp for a couple hundred rpms due to resination. right after that the dyno plot layed right on top of the short ram intake.

also...let me tell you how you clean an O2 sensor. pull it off and take a hand torch to the element on the end to burn off the carbon desposits. Carbon fouls them out...they rarely go bad. so heat isn't goint to harm your O2 sensor. Cat converters. unless your creating insane amounts of heat from say a 500whp turbo motor...your cat will be fine.

best thing you can have is... a coated Stainless header. it cuts out the underhood temps a TICK and keeps the heat within the manifold even more so.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, to go back to original post concept..

AEM CAI/DC sport header/JIC spartan exhaust.

Thats what im running and i honestly believe its the best set up. Everyone is going to argue and make a point as far as what is best to go with. But IMO, the set up i have works well together. Do what you want as far as what companies you go with, do shopping and see what you would like to spend for what. But i would recommend spending a few more bucks and getting a higher quality product, especially if yours is a daily driver.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats awesome your happy with it. i just thought i would share some knowledge. back to my hole.

just posting a silly dynochart.

would love to have this 1.8 liter in my scion. i bet it would break apart

Old 05-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Lip
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i need someone in the area of

Santa Ana,
Ontario,CA

to pm me

you'll be happy you did
Old 05-12-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OhioScions
SL Member

I have:
-DC Sports Header
-Injen SR
-Thermal Cat-back
Old 08-25-2005, 05:39 PM
SL Member

Default Megan Racing Header

Hey everyone i just bought and installed the Megan Racing header off ebay, i love it alot of top end power, anyone having problems with theirs? anybody know what the gains are on this, i can't find info anywhere. I have the Megan header and the manual magnaflow axelback from precisionmuffler.com. i love the axle back but im thinking of getting rid of the resonator and putting a straight through pipe in its place. any comments or suggestions?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the resonator is the only thing that is holding any backpressure on that system probably, and if you do chose to remove it, be prepared for a really loud raspy exhaust sound at every rpm. my guess is you would end up putting the resonator back in because its going to drone at any speed- making cruising less than comfortable... unless thats what youre looking for! also you will probably notice a drop in low end power with minimal top end gain.

-jon
Old 08-27-2005, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Re: Megan Racing Header

Originally Posted by cgxeagle006
Hey everyone i just bought and installed the Megan Racing header off ebay, i love it alot of top end power, anyone having problems with theirs? anybody know what the gains are on this, i can't find info anywhere. I have the Megan header and the manual magnaflow axelback from precisionmuffler.com. i love the axle back but im thinking of getting rid of the resonator and putting a straight through pipe in its place. any comments or suggestions?
dont remove it. just swap in a high flowing resonator. unless of course you like a disgusting exhaust note.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Megan Racing Header

Originally Posted by cgxeagle006

oooo,don't recomend that one. Its gonna be really loud at freeway speeds and well, you might get that rice rocket note.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still say my set up works best...Of course this is only my opinion...

AEM CAI/DC Sport header/Jic Spartan DE-Type 1 Exhaust.

Cya
Old 08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

how do these mods, IHE, effect gas mileage or do they at all?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Generally they will make it better, if you can keep your foot off the gas. :D
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boxlover
how do these mods, IHE, effect gas mileage or do they at all?
Honestly, its hard to keep a balance between practical use mods and power mods. I/H/E i've never heard of actually helping MPG on a daily driven basis. If you shifted at extremely low rpms i'm sure it would increase more than 1-2 miles per gallon. Otherwise, don't expect it to increase but maybe 1-2 miles. I on the other hand, have seen no change in my mpg. No more, or less than what i was getting prior to installing... I might add i've had this exact set up for months now.

Hope that information helps.

Cya
Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default I/H/E

Injen RD2105P $217.00
DC Sport Header $212.00
Greddy Evo 2 axle back $269.00

Yea i'm a bargin shopper....
Old 02-12-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by fachiro1
Intake: Injen Short Ram
Headers: Strup
Exhaust: Invidia g300

I got #3; waiting for 1 and 2 to be in stock.
I agree with him, this pretty much the same setup i have and the car feels good. Its breathing alot better and i definately enjoy the sound.