Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

header troubles, please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default header troubles, please HELP

Hey, just installed a new megan header, used to donut gasket from the stock header and fut it on but the bolts will not tighten all the way, is there supposed to be a gap between the pipe running to the exhaust and the header. Are you supposed to see the donut gasket?? Please help, car show on sat!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

moved
Old 07-15-2005, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

tighten as much as possible. there will be a gap. try starting it up. if you hear loud blotty sounds then tighten more. if it sounds fine congrats you have a correctly installed header.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member

Listen this is what you want to do if you are having trouble with it Go to any hardwear store and ask for Mystilce jt-6 Hi temp grease then put the grease around the donut and slide it on the header you will notice it wont go all the way whne you tighten the screws and i hope your using stocks ones to then if you have an inpacked wrench then tighten it then youll be fint youll hear a leaking noise but it will go away when you drive the car the donut will set or be in place and you shouldnt have a problem remember to tighten the top hearder bolts when you drive about 100 miles well i hope i helped you
Old 07-15-2005, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Did you put the "donut" on right. When I installed my header, I put the ring on wrong the first time, resulting in the bolts not getting tight enough.

Jason
Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

how big would you say the gap is, mine seems to be 1-3 cms

i tried driving it to and it seemed fine, a little smoke at first but i think that was just the crap burnin off inside it
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

it's all good. 1-3 cms is probably less than mine. lol. you probably tightened them more than i. as long as noo farting and horrible sounds are coming out you are all good.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just a quick simple question but did you reuse the donut gasket from the stock header?? I strongly believe against re-using gaskets
Old 07-15-2005, 04:38 PM

reusing the thick donut gasket is not a problem, now if it was a thin one, than yes you can wave the finger. In this case, if there is a gap; do not try to worry about it because once the exhaust goes on, it will push the gasket into place. :D

Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
just a quick simple question but did you reuse the donut gasket from the stock header?? I strongly believe against re-using gaskets
I'm in the same boat as Vito, so to speak. I never try to re-use a gasket, unless obsolutely necessary.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Stylis
reusing the thick donut gasket is not a problem, now if it was a thin one, than yes you can wave the finger. In this case, if there is a gap; do not try to worry about it because once the exhaust goes on, it will push the gasket into place. :D
I gotta disagree...im sure that thing gets decently hot and after a while probly gets a lil distorted...the new gasket costs like $25...wort it IMO to save you headaches in the long run if any leaks occur especially if you spend upwards of $250 for a DC sports header...whats another $25 for safety purposes.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Plus the gasket has already served its purpose and has been "crushed" to form a seal. The re-used gasket may not be able to "crush" any further and leaks will occur.

Too have exhaust gases "push the gasket into place" means that there isn't a proper sel and a leak will occur.

But then again, I'm no expert and slept at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:45 PM

I gotta disagree...im sure that thing gets decently hot and after a while probly gets a lil distorted...the new gasket costs like $25...wort it IMO to save you headaches in the long run if any leaks occur especially if you spend upwards of $250 for a DC sports header...whats another $25 for safety purposes.
Dude that donut gasket is $48.00 special order from the dealer here in norcal. I just spent $250 bucks and I am out of cash. I am all for doing it right, but dang it if scion owners are not patient about gettin their cars done the same day. :D I never was able to sell those things to header customers. I do see your point though Simplyscion, but some people just don't want to spend the extra money.

Also the exhaust pushing the gasket to the right seal is not a problem. Of course when I install headers, the gasket always goes on properly. Have never had any return customers with header leaks.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No need to replace the exhaust donut gasket unless it is physically damaged. It is a wedge fit and does not crush unless installed improperly or tightened too much. If when removing the factory exhaust header you notice that the gasket is dented or has a ring worn into it, then you should replace it, if not then you will be fine using it again.

Unless you know what you are talking about, not just an opinion, then don't post as fact. The donut gaskets are a wedge fit and are fine to reuse.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by squirrel

But then again, I'm no expert and slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Dude that donut gasket is $48.00 special order from the dealer here in norcal. I just spent $250 bucks and I am out of cash. I am all for doing it right, but dang it if scion owners are not patient about gettin their cars done the same day. I never was able to sell those things to header customers. I do see your point though Simplyscion, but some people just don't want to spend the extra money.
Also the exhaust pushing the gasket to the right seal is not a problem. Of course when I install headers, the gasket always goes on properly. Have never had any return customers with header leaks.
Sorry about the gasket price...forgot about my dealer cost
Hey, i guess its up to them wether or not they wanna get the gasket...maybe you should offer them the choice and just have one or two lying around the shop if you dont already. I know if I was coming to get a header I would definitely wanna change it up. Good luck w/ your future installs...hopefully no leaks
Old 07-15-2005, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by DGTLLVR
No need to replace the exhaust donut gasket unless it is physically damaged. It is a wedge fit and does not crush unless installed improperly or tightened too much. If when removing the factory exhaust header you notice that the gasket is dented or has a ring worn into it, then you should replace it, if not then you will be fine using it again.

Unless you know what you are talking about, not just an opinion, then don't post as fact. The donut gaskets are a wedge fit and are fine to reuse.
So your saying that the exhaust heat wont alter the gasket one bit?? The whole point of a gasket is to make a seal correct? So what happens when you break that seal...what happens is your never gonna get that perfect seal ever again and probly in time would result in exhaust leaks...but I guess I dont really know what Im talking about so I will stop posting now
Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

One more note...I don't think they are talking about the exhaust "gases" pushing the gasket into place, I think they are refering to the exhaust "pipe" or flange....or whatever it is where the two peices join together. When you tightren it up, the the two peices being squeezed together are what push the gasket, not hot air. LOL
Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So your saying that the exhaust heat wont alter the gasket one bit?? The whole point of a gasket is to make a seal correct? So what happens when you break that seal...what happens is your never gonna get that perfect seal ever again and probly in time would result in exhaust leaks...but I guess I dont really know what Im talking about so I will stop posting now
Like you said, stop posting. The gasket is metal and ceramic, so unless your exhaust gets hot enough to melt the exhaust pipe itself, the gasket should never have an issue. It's a wedge seal which puts very little actual pressure on any surface and is designed for flex movement, which means it won't wear out and will reseal itself if it moves, which it does every time your motor/exhaust moves. So removing it and putting it back on hurts it as much as starting your car or accelerating.

The only time the gasket can be damaged is if it is over or under tightened. Overtightening it will cause a dent in the wedge surface and it will lose it's seal as it moves during normal driving. Undertightening will cause exhaust blow-by which will ruin the wedge surface melting away the rough edges of the surface and building carbon deposits, making a high/low surface on the wedge that will lose more and more sealing cabaility as time goes on.

Consider yourselves schooled.

end of thread.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can reuse your gaskets while I will pay the $25 for a new one while im sure a lot of people out there would agree w/ me...I guess to each is own
Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about you both pay me 25.00 and I will kick both of you in the nutts 3 times till ya'll can get your shi* together. GOSHHH fighting over a donut WWWOWWW that's funny.
Simplyscion paypal the 25.00 and consider the nut bashing done.

Quick Reply: header troubles, please HELP