Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hydrolock from Monsoon Damit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hydrolock from Monsoon Damit

I hydrolocked my engine on Tuesday July 25th during that heavy Monsoon Storm ALEX. All the intersections in my part of town [Chandler] where flooded about curb high [no more than 6"], even the entrance to my apartment complex was flooded. All kinds of cars where going through the intersections... such as a PT Cruser and a Chevy Cavilier but for some reason my AEM CAI sucked up just enough water to turn off my XB for good. Wouldnt even turn over after leaving it in a dry parking lot over night. So I had it towed to the Scion dealer and now it needs a Brand Spankin New engine.

The Insurance company actually covers this type of stupidness under your Comprehensive coverage. I didnt relize that water is that dangerous to your engine. Now I do!

My claims adjuster said there was a total of 3 Scions he looked at in the past month from his company due to the Monsson storms. One I know is at Superstition Springs Scion. Even a raised Jeep he said got water in just the right place after he was slamming through water down the street. I also just found out that this happen to at least 5 other Scion owners last year during the same time at CamelBack Scion.

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU PLAY IN THE WATER.... make sure you have your floaties!

Lesson learned...
    M
    Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

So did your AEM have a bypass filter?
    Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
    5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
    So did your AEM have a bypass filter?
    Yes... but it doesnt help when water comes in through the bumper and ontop of the filter and also comes up under the filter... kinda submerges the thing and has no choice. The bypass doesnt help in this situation... just for when your driving down the street in a down poor or water splashes on the filter.

I had no problems for the first 2 years I owned my XB. This is the first problem of any sort I have come across sence I have purchased it. I love my XB.

M
    Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Well that sucks then, because AEM has showed pics of their intakes, with the filter completely submereged in water and the bypass filter does its job and sucks air in. I would contact AEM and see what they say about the situation, because there are a ton of people running around with bypass filters to stop from hydro locking and it isnt going to work for them.
    Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 PM
    5 Year Member

Default Checking

I am checking to make sure there was a bypass valve or not. Im pretty sure when I purchased that the dealer said there was one on it. Im waiting for the service guy to call me back so I can ask him about it.

Will let you know.
    Old 08-07-2006, 11:52 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Default Re: Checking

Originally Posted by marcmarc
    I am checking to make sure there was a bypass valve or not. Im pretty sure when I purchased that the dealer said there was one on it. Im waiting for the service guy to call me back so I can ask him about it.

Will let you know.
    So it was purchased and installed at the dealer. If it had a bypass I would raise some hell with them too. Selling products that have safe guards and then the safe guard doesnt work, is a big NO NO in my book. Please let us know what you find out and keep us updated.
    Old 08-08-2006, 05:41 AM
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

It doesn't take much water to lock a motor. It steams and atomizes and doesn't compress. All it really takes is one cyl to get enough water to lock and the crank and anything attached to it with weight can break. The bypass for the aem is made just for that reason. I don't have one on our xA but I'm begining to think I must as we're getting far more rain than you guys up there. My neighborhood is flodding almost daily.

BTW I think the AEM will convert to a short ram is you seperate and remove the bottom tube. You might have enough room to just clamp it on.
    Old 08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Not trying to be a jerk but... WTF? You bought a car, not a boat! Who in their right mind tries to dive a compact car equipped with a CAI through a very flooded street?

It is people like this that cause warranty and insurance problems for the rest of us. And it is the people like this that somehow always get covered when the rest of us have to fight to get valid warranty and insurance claims covered.
    Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 PM
    jct
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
    Not trying to be a jerk but... WTF? You bought a car, not a boat! Who in their right mind tries to dive a compact car equipped with a CAI through a very flooded street?

It is people like this that cause warranty and insurance problems for the rest of us. And it is the people like this that somehow always get covered when the rest of us have to fight to get valid warranty and insurance claims covered.
    he does make a good statement here...

i sort of got paranoid when i drove thru a 1.5 foot deep puddle in the work truck i was driving

then got too thinking about my car with the CAI i'm using, then so i put my stock air box back in and i relised wait a minute i don't drive thru lakes with my car so i put my CAI back in...

what we need is one of these cars...

Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 AM
    5 Year Member

What a Hypocritical Neanderthal straight from Discovery... First... I dont remember a piece of poop sitting next to me in my XB when I went through ONLY 5" of water [no boat needed last time I checked] and not knowing the consequences!

SECOND... and I quote... "rest of us"... O... you did it too??? Or you have had problems getting Insurance??? Im sorry your insurance company doesnt believe YOUR story of the TRUTH about how YOUR engine got messed up. I dont believe Im the sole purpose of why I messed it up for "the rest of us"!

Didn't your mommy ever tell you "if you didn't have anything intelligent to say... then shut up!"

Besides... My XB is listed as a VAN... not a compact car... vans rock and can go through anything man... don't ya know anything!

M
    Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

You'll have to excuse me if my typing is a bit poor. My knuckles are sore from dragging the ground so much.

I can't even wrap my Neanderthal mind around your first statement. I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

And to address your second statement... Yes, it is people LIKE YOU, who mess it up for the rest of us. Everyday people who are either ignorant, or very stupid do ridiculous things to their vehicles. And these are the same people you always hear about getting it completely covered by their insurance company or the vehicle manufacturer.

Then you turn around and here about the guy who can't get a blown motor covered because he did his own oil changes and doesn't have an invoice to prove it. And because of unjustified warrant claims, warranty work on anything but completely stock vehicles with all records has to be fought for. And because of the unjustified insurance claims, all of our rates are increased.

And no my mommy never did tell me the one about shutting up. Then again, she never told me how to spot an idiot either. I guess I learned to do that well enough on my own.

Anyway, I'll step off my soap box.

Happy boating!
    Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

You'll have to excuse me if my typing is a bit poor. My knuckles are sore from dragging the ground so much.
    I always wondered why your typing was so poor Dustin.

Sorry I had to liven this thread up with some humor...
    Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
    5 Year Member

I can't even wrap my Neanderthal mind around your first statement. I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

And to address your second statement... Yes, it is people LIKE YOU, who mess it up for the rest of us. Everyday people who are either ignorant, or very stupid do ridiculous things to their vehicles. And these are the same people you always hear about getting it completely covered by their insurance company or the vehicle manufacturer.

Then you turn around and here about the guy who can't get a blown motor covered because he did his own oil changes and doesn't have an invoice to prove it. And because of unjustified warrant claims, warranty work on anything but completely stock vehicles with all records has to be fought for. And because of the unjustified insurance claims, all of our rates are increased.

And no my mommy never did tell me the one about shutting up. Then again, she never told me how to spot an idiot either. I guess I learned to do that well enough on my own.

Anyway, I'll step off my soap box.

Happy boating!
    OK... I wasn’t the "JERK" who opened his brown star... was simply making a comment about an "accident" that I had.

But o well...

My first statement was meant for you to copy and paste the word Neanderthal...

And for people like me?.........this “accident” happened to a lot of people I know... even people involved with this site and dealers at Scion. Ignorant or Stupid... I don't think so...

Best to look at your self first... but then again you should have been told that ages ago! But that’s what JERKS LIKE YOU don't do.

So let me get this right... the insurance companies only choose to help people who go by the book and do everything right and pay there hefty premiums... And remember I said it was going through 5" of water in an intersection where all traffic was being directed and all other autos went. And these insurance companies choose not to help out JERKs who blow there motor???... hmmm... how does that happen... maybe some ignorance or stupidity! LOL...or was it from the crappy oil changes you do yourself... yea... I could see were the insurance company would say FU. Maybe wise up and keep your receipts JERK. OR just dont blow your motor... which I'm sure happens all the time!

Unjustified insurance claims huh... yup I can see the ignorance all right.

O well... I guess I shouldn't post problems that happen to my Scion on a Scion forum and post them on the Baja Boat forum?... what a JERK and a very deep brown star!

I will be happy boating this weekend actually.. Thank You!
    Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

LOL... seems like my posts are getting under your thin skin. So after this post I am done.

What you did was either ignorant, or stupid. Judging by your first post, I thought it was ignorance. After your additional posts I am starting to lean the other way.

You own a sub-compact CAR with low ground clearance. Then you had an aftermarket cold air intake installed that drops the filter several inches (if not FEET) closer to the ground. You then proceeded to drive through flooded streets with said car. Ignorant or stupid, take your pick.
    Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 AM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member

SL Member

hat insurance company do you have? i believe i am in the same boat as you...
    Old 08-14-2006, 06:54 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    Music City Scions
    SL Member

I agree! If there is high water? Why in the hell would you try driving through it. Unless it was a matter of life or death the toaster should have been left alone till the water was gone Period.... People should have to pay out of their own pockets for the bad decisions they make. Not the rest of us.
    Old 08-14-2006, 07:35 PM
    Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member

Maybe a bodykit? :D

When traffic is re-directed through an intersection rather than stopped, one would hope that
    the intersection was reasonably safe.

FROM THE FACTORY, the xB would likely have no problem at all with 5-6 inches of water in the
    intersection, but adding a special intake that allows the engine to suck water like a shop vac is
    just asking for problems.

If the dealer installed this and claimed it had the bypass, either it didn't or it possibly failed to
    protect as it should.

(My xB - with factory intake - has 'forded' 4 inch water, but only very slowly. From my 4x4 days
    I have a lot of respect for how little water it can take to be a problem. Yes, I even managed at
    one time to float one of my Land Cruisers a short distance down a river while crossing. )

Tomas
    Old 08-16-2006, 04:50 PM
    10 Year Member
    5 Year Member
    SL Member
    N.G.S.O.

One day my wife and I were out to visit a friend of hers that lives in the north Georgia mountains. That was back when I had my Z06 Vette with an after market intake. The road we had to travel had a ford on it that I did not know about. When I got to the ford I stopped, told my wife no way and turned around. As I was leaving a lady is heading toward me in a Volvo wagon and in the mirror I watch as she plow through.

I do not drive through water more than a couple of inches deep.