Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hydrolocked Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Hydrolocked Engine?

I noticed that with the Injen intake the filter is right behind the fog light section of the xB and can be clearly seen from the top grille.

Is anyone worried about Hydrolocking their engine by sucking water in the rain?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

how deep are the puddles that you drive through?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

in think the only way to hydrolock is to submerge the whole filter into water, if you were to do that i'd be more worried about getting the car out of the water/pond/lake, etc...
Old 02-24-2004, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

So noone is a little bit concerned that when you drive water collects on the filter?

Regardless of driving through a puddle or not, the filter is collecting water.

Maybe the Injen guys on the forum could shed some light on how much water the filter actually breaks down before it reaches the throttle body.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me tell you all a little something about how aftermarket air filters work. The filter is oiled to collect dirt and debris. Oil and water DO NOT mix. Rain is NOT going to get sucked up into your engine through your filter. Even with a cold air setup, the only way water is gonna get in through the intake is if the filter is submerged in a puddle (or lake :D ) for an EXTENDED period of time. Even driving through an occasional puddle will not damage your engine!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have my concerns at times, but we do live in souther california where we get a minimal of rain a year unless el motha f'n nino hits again. I do sometimes trip, like the other night coming home from BJs pizza it was pooring once i got off the 605 and I have pretty bad eye sight so i was a little uncertain if the street was flooded or i was just seeing things, and i was just seeing things. but i guess as long as you arent going through lakes and you have a grill like the stock grill that has the backing on it, you should be relatively OK..
Old 02-24-2004, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ditto
Old 02-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

denny, I've driven thru some pretty nasty downpours up here, and I haven't had any problems. infact, it was raining so hard one night, I had to slow down cuz I felt the xB getting ready to hydroplane! you know that feelin when you hit a deep puddle and it makes that thud sound and you slow down quite a bit?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like driving through puddles.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by squirrel
denny, I've driven thru some pretty nasty downpours up here, and I haven't had any problems. infact, it was raining so hard one night, I had to slow down cuz I felt the xB getting ready to hydroplane! you know that feelin when you hit a deep puddle and it makes that thud sound and you slow down quite a bit?
Brad,

And you have the Injen intake? Thats pretty impressive..

I guess im looking back to the old HKS Foam Power Flo days. :D

but if everyone says its good, then i guess its good. I just wanted to hear back from people that have an Injen intake and not the AEM with the bypass.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DenZinz
I just wanted to hear back from people that have an Injen intake and not the AEM with the bypass.
The AEM bypass doesn't remove moisture/water from the intake. The purpose of it, is for if/when/why you drive into a large puddle of water that SUBMERGES the filter, it bypasses the flow through the filter to prevent suction from pulling the mass of water up the intake.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again I say.....

Originally Posted by rattmobbins
let me tell you all a little something about how aftermarket air filters work. The filter is oiled to collect dirt and debris. Oil and water DO NOT mix. Rain is NOT going to get sucked up into your engine through your filter. Even with a cold air setup, the only way water is gonna get in through the intake is if the filter is submerged in a puddle (or lake :D ) for an EXTENDED period of time. Even driving through an occasional puddle will not damage your engine!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lots of misinformation in this thread!

1. Water will pass through an oiled gauze filter, through exactly the same passages that the air uses. Ask any off-road motorcycle racer that has dropped his bike in a river crossing.

2. It takes a fairly large slug of water to hydrolock an engine. You could put a liter of water into an engine in a minute without any ill effect. Hydrolocking is caused by putting a large amount of water into a cylinder in one stroke. A constant flow of water, such as that caused by rain droplets passing through a filter won't cause a problem.

3. There are two ways to hydrolock an engine. One is to submerge the filter. The other is to accumulate water in a low bend of the intake and then have it pushed into the engine when the accumulation is enough to block the intake. It's unlikely that the injen short intake will do either of these unless you are into fording rivers.

George
Old 02-24-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by George

1. Water will pass through an oiled gauze filter, through exactly the same passages that the air uses. Ask any off-road motorcycle racer that has dropped his bike in a river crossing.

2. It takes a fairly large slug of water to hydrolock an engine. You could put a liter of water into an engine in a minute without any ill effect. Hydrolocking is caused by putting a large amount of water into a cylinder in one stroke. A constant flow of water, such as that caused by rain droplets passing through a filter won't cause a problem.

3. There are two ways to hydrolock an engine. One is to submerge the filter. The other is to accumulate water in a low bend of the intake and then have it pushed into the engine when the accumulation is enough to block the intake. It's unlikely that the injen short intake will do either of these unless you are into fording rivers.

George
Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ever heard of water injection? little bit of water is good....cleans out the carbon build up etc....like george said....whole bunch bad
Old 02-24-2004, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

If I recall, I read on Injen site that this intake should not be driven in wet condictions. That's why I haven't bought one. Also, I heard that oils from the filter can cause your "Check Engine" light to come on.

Just something I read and heard.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Wow this topic has a whole different tone since the last time it was posted. (Stupid noobs reposting topics)

Then I was the minority saying that water in the engine isn't something you have to worry about in normal driving.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by gulp35
Wow this topic has a whole different tone since the last time it was posted. (Stupid noobs reposting topics)

Then I was the minority saying that water in the engine isn't something you have to worry about in normal driving.
when was this topic brought up? Can you send me the link? I must of missed it.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Orataro
Also, I heard that oils from the filter can cause your "Check Engine" light to come on.

Just something I read and heard.
Usually this is caused when you over oil a filter, at which point some of the oil from the filter gets sucked into the intake and lands on the MAF Sensor and can cause this. It can be cleared up by cleaning it with a little carb cleaner though.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by George

George
hmmm....First two are good points, no you won't hydrolock the engine from getting small amounts of water in the intake but lets get off hydro-locking and into the "small droplets don't harm anything" placing water in the combustion chamber can cause seriously damaging effects to the engine. Water cannot be compressed so that story about a liter of water is crazy- if you put a tea spoon of water into the tiny 1NZFE combustion chambers your going to bend/snap valves/connecting rods- blow piston rings- something. Something will have to give and it won't be the water. Also isn't anyone worried about rusting in the inside of the combustion chamber/exhaust from the eventual possible accumulation? Water will get into the filter, and it will get into the intake, and eventually into the combustion chamber if your driving through extremely wet conditions and not armed with something to slow it down or prevent it. Any water in the combustion chamber isn't good. The best way to prevent this is go to K&N's website and look for a drycharger- they go over the filter element and help channel out moisture, if you pick up the new K&N Typhoon intake(The best one available for the xB right now :D ) for the xB you automatically get a dry charger for free. Sorry it got so long- But I've been working on "everyday" cars for years and have seen just about everything possible go wrong- and water and engines don't mix unless it's in the cooling system. Thinking "minimal amounts don't hurt" is just asking for trouble in the long run.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked Engine?