Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hydrolocked Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Again I checked Injen's web site and it's disclaimer states that their intakes should not be driven in wet or rainning condictions. Failare to remove the intake will cause serious damage to your car.

Check for yourself.

www.injen.com
Old 02-24-2004, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by Orataro
Again I checked Injen's web site and it's disclaimer states that their intakes should not be driven in wet or rainning condictions. Failare to remove the intake will cause serious damage to your car.

Check for yourself.

www.injen.com
A note regarding Cold Air Intake systems and Cold Air Extensions:
*Injen Technology Cold Air Intake Systems should be removed in any wet climates or on any wet roads or highways. Failure to comply with the above warnings may cause water to be absorbed into the engine through the filter causing serious damage to your motor. Injen Technology Co., Ltd. assumes no liability for damages toy your motor due to water entering your engine through the Injen intake system. Although a bypass valve may be used on most systems, it will void warranty and the C.A.R.B. EO# at this time.
Please remember to drive safe, and drive smart.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by NemoBronsky
Originally Posted by George
Lots of misinformation in this thread!

1. Water will pass through an oiled gauze filter, through exactly the same passages that the air uses. Ask any off-road motorcycle racer that has dropped his bike in a river crossing.

2. It takes a fairly large slug of water to hydrolock an engine. You could put a liter of water into an engine in a minute without any ill effect. Hydrolocking is caused by putting a large amount of water into a cylinder in one stroke. A constant flow of water, such as that caused by rain droplets passing through a filter won't cause a problem.

George
hmmm....First two are good points, no you won't hydrolock the engine from getting small amounts of water in the intake but lets get off hydro-locking and into the "small droplets don't harm anything" placing water in the combustion chamber can cause seriously damaging effects to the engine. Water cannot be compressed so that story about a liter of water is crazy- if you put a tea spoon of water into the tiny 1NZFE combustion chambers your going to bend/snap valves/connecting rods- blow piston rings- something. Something will have to give and it won't be the water. Also isn't anyone worried about rusting in the inside of the combustion chamber/exhaust from the eventual possible accumulation? Water will get into the filter, and it will get into the intake, and eventually into the combustion chamber if your driving through extremely wet conditions and not armed with something to slow it down or prevent it. Any water in the combustion chamber isn't good. The best way to prevent this is go to K&N's website and look for a drycharger- they go over the filter element and help channel out moisture, if you pick up the new K&N Typhoon intake(The best one available for the xB right now :D ) for the xB you automatically get a dry charger for free. Sorry it got so long- But I've been working on "everyday" cars for years and have seen just about everything possible go wrong- and water and engines don't mix unless it's in the cooling system. Thinking "minimal amounts don't hurt" is just asking for trouble in the long run.
used to run 10.8 to compression in a b16a2 with jackson racing supercharger and their water injection kit.....a small amount of water is a good thing.....raises compression...cools the cylinder....allows for more timing advancement and more boost......larger amounts of water will raise the internal cylinder pressure to high and will cause problems.....now that im N/A in the civic i use the aem cold air intake witht eh filter right in front of my front right tire behind the hole for the oem foglamps....i pulled out the plastic insert for the oem foglamp and can see the filter right behind it....i have driven my car through some hell storms of rain....no problems...no CEL....nothing..... as for "Any water in the combustion chamber isn't good" thats just not true....the 500cubic inch v8 block we run in the drag boat on alcohol and methanol pushes 1,800hp and uses water injection to allow us the kind of boost levels we run and the timing advances we run.... here is the kit for the civic i ran http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=37417
Old 02-24-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disclaimers are used "in case" something happens. This doesn't mean that it will happen. I've driven in the rain with no problems what so ever. Most intakes for the xB that are for sale are safe to use in the rain.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

now im all sketchy bout my injen short ram... especially since i we are supposed to get 3-4 inches of rain tomarrow... i wanna sell it and get a K&N...
Old 02-24-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by scionxb04
used to run 10.8 to compression in a b16a2 with jackson racing supercharger and their water injection kit.....a small amount of water is a good thing.....raises compression...cools the cylinder....allows for more timing advancement and more boost......larger amounts of water will raise the internal cylinder pressure to high and will cause problems.....now that im N/A in the civic i use the aem cold air intake witht eh filter right in front of my front right tire behind the hole for the oem foglamps....i pulled out the plastic insert for the oem foglamp and can see the filter right behind it....i have driven my car through some hell storms of rain....no problems...no CEL....nothing..... as for "Any water in the combustion chamber isn't good" thats just not true....the 500cubic inch v8 block we run in the drag boat on alcohol and methanol pushes 1,800hp and uses water injection to allow us the kind of boost levels we run and the timing advances we run.... here is the kit for the civic i ran http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=37417
your 10.8 compression b16 and your 500ci big block have a "water injection" kit- therefore you are running a modified engine, have a kit installed on the engine and the fact that water will be used has been brought into consideration- In otherwords there is a purpose-proper installation-need whatever you want to say to warrant placing the water there. Noone here is talking about that- were not racing and were not installing water injection kits. WATER IN THE ENGINE IS NOT GOOD when we're talking about an umodified 1.5liter engine with skimpy stock internals- that was never meant to have any water injected into it- with nothing to control the amount of water getting in the engine- blah blah blah. Simply put if your running a cold air setup where your worried about moisture getting into the engine when it rains your concerns are completely valid. Either take it off when it rains or spend the extra money to keep the moisture to a minimum by putting a dry charger over your filter. If you run a cold air setup and you don't have a problem good, and I hope it stays that way, but the fact that your 15 thousand dollar big block uses water injection doesn't mean its cool to let water get into your 15 hundred dollar stock toyota engine through an intake system when your engine was never designed for it. I'm not trying to challenge anything you just said because you make valid points, but it's apples and oranges.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
Lots of misinformation in this thread!

1. Water will pass through an oiled gauze filter, through exactly the same passages that the air uses. Ask any off-road motorcycle racer that has dropped his bike in a river crossing.

2. It takes a fairly large slug of water to hydrolock an engine. You could put a liter of water into an engine in a minute without any ill effect. Hydrolocking is caused by putting a large amount of water into a cylinder in one stroke. A constant flow of water, such as that caused by rain droplets passing through a filter won't cause a problem.

George
hmmm....First two are good points, no you won't hydrolock the engine from getting small amounts of water in the intake but lets get off hydro-locking and into the "small droplets don't harm anything" placing water in the combustion chamber can cause seriously damaging effects to the engine. Water cannot be compressed so that story about a liter of water is crazy
Really? Consider this:

At 3000RPM, the engine has 6000 intake strokes per minute (1 stroke every two revolutions, four cylinders). Break a liter into 6000 pieces and you get 0.16 cm^3 of water per intake stroke. One cylinder is 375cm^3 in displacement, which at 10:1 means that the combustion chamber volume is 35.5cm^3. 0.16 is .004 or 0.4% of this volume.

You're going to break something by putting an incompressable object in the combustion chamber that accounts for less than 1% of the combustion chamber volume? I think not! Even if the distribution varied so that one cylinder got all the water, it would only take up 1.6 percent of the available volume.

- if you put a tea spoon of water into the tiny 1NZFE combustion chambers your going to bend/snap valves/connecting rods- blow piston rings- something.
No. One teaspoon is about 5cm^3. This would only be about 14% of the available volume. This would translate to putting 36 liters of water into the engine in a minute!

Something will have to give and it won't be the water. Also isn't anyone worried about rusting in the inside of the combustion chamber/exhaust from the eventual possible accumulation?
Water is a natural product of combustion. Ever see the water dripping out of cold exhausts in the morning and the steam condensing from the pipe? You are already passing a considerable amount of water through the systems mentioned. You don't see it after the exhaust warms up because it is emitted as vapor, as will any raindrops taken in through the filter.

Water will get into the filter, and it will get into the intake, and eventually into the combustion chamber if your driving through extremely wet conditions and not armed with something to slow it down or prevent it. Any water in the combustion chamber isn't good
In that case, we had better stop driving in the fog. Fog is suspended water droplets and they stay suspended in intake air! Even when it isn't foggy, there is considerable water dissolved in the air. Ever notice how a cold drink gets wet on the outside?

. The best way to prevent this is go to K&N's website and look for a drycharger- they go over the filter element and help channel out moisture, if you pick up the new K&N Typhoon intake(The best one available for the xB right now :D ) for the xB you automatically get a dry charger for free. Sorry it got so long- But I've been working on "everyday" cars for years and have seen just about everything possible go wrong- and water and engines don't mix unless it's in the cooling system. Thinking "minimal amounts don't hurt" is just asking for trouble in the long run.
I'm not suggesting that one should intentionally run water through an engine (although it is common in the car and piston engine airplane racing biz), but the idea that a little rain on the filter will cause any preceptable problem is a product of an overactive imagination. Anything that will pass air in the quantities needed for the engine will be hard pressed to exclude entrained rain droplets, including the K&N widget.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

nevermind
Old 02-25-2004, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH MY GOD PEOPLE!!! RELAX. Injen's website states that their disclaimer only applies to the cold air intake and cold air extension. The only intake available for the xB is the short ram. You have no reason to be so freakin paranoid!!! Millions and millions of people have intakes on their cars. Millions of people have COLD AIR INTAKES on their cars, and VERY VERY rarely does somebody ruin their engine because water gets in there!
Old 02-25-2004, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am not worried about it since most of the water is blocked by the wheel well plastic.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My wife like to wash are xb alot and we have a after market to grille which lets more air in also lets lots of water in we have the aem with the filter that is suppose to let air threw if water gets into bend but this filter also lets water in car kept stallin took 30 minutes to go 3 blocks got home took filter off full of water...... oopppsss
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

cant spell tonight ..... anyway
Old 12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

I just took off the INJEN SRI after two + years of service and I never had the engine hydrolock. No too bad for 40k+ miles. I've had it on since it was first released.

Got something a bit nicer now.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had the injen on my car for a real long time and never ran into one problem...now if I can only get Fujita F5 to start making me an intake for my supercharger I will be back in business
Old 12-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I had the injen on my car for a real long time and never ran into one problem...now if I can only get Fujita F5 to start making me an intake for my supercharger I will be back in business
Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Although the experts have chimed in with very good answers maybe this noob can help. This is my first venture into purchasing a CAI had a SRI on my REX for the very reason. I puchased the AEM CAI because it had the bypass valve. Several people with injen intakes on thier hondas were farting around the parking lot at school and one hit into a puddle . . . nothing happened. . . of course the puddle wasn't deep so he stopped to check it out said it was fine. Of course being nosy I asked to see under there car and the damn intake was exposed yes exposed.

On our xB's we have all that plastic material under car and the intake is inverted up unless you hit a really deep puddle (i.e. pond) you should be fine. So on the AEM CAI I took the bypass valve off and replaced it with a connector from pep boys for $8.00. To this day nothing happened including hitting some potholes filled with water this week
Old 12-13-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok im still not reasurred as much as id like to be cold aqir intake still scares me allittle i want the most power out my little engine but i dont wanna crack it ive heard of those dampeners or what ever in the track of sum cai but do they work?. also what i a dry charger i missed the exp of that.. id feel alot more at eas with just a norm short ram im also curious which give best power/ mpg?