Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Injen short ram intake installation tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Injen short ram intake installation tips

I'll see what I can remember from my install tonight. It took me 2 hours or so, half in the dark. It will take most of you less. I'm posting this as there are some quirks in the directions. If anyone in Raleigh-Durham wants some help, let me know.

From my test drive I could tell there was a little more oomph when accelerating. I am very pleased with this product and would highly recommend it.

Basically an experienced mechanic will understand everything with no problem. The noob may have some issues understanding the directions. This is an effort to gloss over the holes in the installation guide, especially given the popularity of this mod.

Parts required

You will need:
- flat head screwdriver
- phillips head screwdriver
- 10mm socket (most every nut/bolt is this size)
- 7/16" socket
- a really LONG extension for the 10mm socket (like, 4-6 inches minimum)
- breakway bar for socket wrench
- utility knife or scissors (for cutting a hose)

Removing things

Injen tells you some of what to remove, but doesn't really say where it is or how to get it off.

Remove the air filter cover. There is a really big hose attached, and you should take that off whatever it's connected to. I think the air filter cover is attached to the air temperature sensor. Remove the electrical piece attached to the air temperature sensor and take the air filter cover off. The air temperature sensor is connected to this via 2 screws. Take it off - you'll need the sensor and screws later.

Also, take the engine cover (the directions don't mention this). It's held on by 4 10mm bolts. It's next to impossible to remove the stock vacuum line without taking the cover off. The stock vacuum line was attached to the air intake box, and it held on by a clip to the engine. You need to remove it, but keep the clips associated with this hose.

Remove the air filter from the air intake box. Under the air filter are 3 10mm bolts that are on there so tight you will not believe it. They are in there deep to, so getting an extension and breakway bar is almost a necessity. Or you can be ghetto like me and put an extension in a screwdriver and use a vise grip as a breakaway bar. Remove the bottom of the air intake box.

Take the battery out. Trust me.

Putting the short ram on

The Injen directions are fairly good at describing the install. Some quirks:

Injen directions steps 3-4: the VSV bracket and valve

- The VSV bracket attaches to one of the holes that held the bottom of the air intake box on. The picture with the directions doesn't really show exactly where it goes. There are 3 bolts, and the top one, the one farthest from the grill/closest to the seating area is the one you want to attach the bracket to. I think. It worked for me. It may be a stretch to attach the electrial doo-dad to the air temperature sensor later, but it will attach nice and clean once it's done.
- The vacuum switching valve may not snap into place that easily. It will attach a little better after attaching the electrical thing on the valve to the air temperature sensor. This will come later.

Injen directions step 5: moving the battery

Make like easier for yourself and remove the entire battery.

Injen directions step 7: replacing the vacuum hose

Again, the big thing here is to remove the engine cover and to keep the clips that hold the old vacuum hose on. You'll need the clips for the new hose you put on.

Other stuff

It's a good feeling once you see where that air filter goes. "Ah, so that's how it fits in." Enjoy that moment.

Follow the directions, put the engine cover and battery back on, and go race that Corvette down the interstate.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This install took me 20 minutes and i did NOT have to take the battery out and you just made this install seem very hard. Im 18 with no mechanical skill, and the directions it came with were fine.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xmetalx
This install took me 20 minutes and i did NOT have to take the battery out and you just made this install seem very hard. Im 18 with no mechanical skill, and the directions it came with were fine.
You are obviously more experienced than I. You were not my target audience. It took me a while in the dark with a flashlight and little mechanical experience. It isn't hard, but it can be intimidating to people who don't have the experience. Plus, I think the pictures in the instructions included are crappy.

I appreciate your encouragement. You make me and others want to help out and contribute to this board more often. Please go flip some burgers to pay for your latest mod.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i work at an animal hospital part time as a veterinarian tech. and i go to college full time. hahhaahhahahahaha
Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Let's not make it a personal thing.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ what he said ^^^

I think Texodore was thinking of people like me, who have apprehensions about doing certain mods, he wants to make everybody realize that they can do it...if he can (no offense Tex).
Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

^^^ wut the last two peeps said.

yep im no mech.. did it myself tooke me about 2 hours or so. ..first engine bay mod ever in my life xcept air filter on my old car.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Pretty decent write up. Taking the battery out does make it a little easier but it's not something that has to be done. I did end up taking mine out just to give me some room to guide the cone down behind the headlight. I don't recall having to use any scissors or a utility knife for cutting anything though.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

^^^ you have to cut the skinny hose in half. complete battery removal will be easier.. ill do that next time.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well I didn't cut anything but let's not jack this guys thread with talking about what I did and didn't do.