Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Install nology hotwires or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Install nology hotwires or not?

I bought the nology hotwires for my 06 xb. But when I wanted to start, I got confused with the installation. It seems that you have to mount the original coil on plugs on a rail supplied with the nology kit and connect the new hot wires to them.
Here comes my issue! The mounting rail goes on the front 2 bolts were the engine cover should go (check the link). Now, that means that I can't use my carbon fiber cover anymore, unless I cut the front off. Or leave it out. Second issue is that I am going forced induction. But it looks like it will interfere with the installation. Well, I haven't decided on which kit to buy yet. But I am looking at the greddy or power enterprises kit. If I buy the greddy kit, I don't see this work with their manifold. It could work with the PE kit, as long as it doesn't interfere with the piping.
So, what do you think. Return the hotwires or not?
Does anyone run the hotwires with either a greddy or PE supercharger? Did you have any problems with the installation (interference) of both parts?
Thanks for the help!
http://www.nology.com/images/xaxbinstallations.jpg
Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member

I have read numerous threads on the hotwires. A coil on plug desighn is an advanced desighn to spark plug wires. most of the guys I know runing turbo's or superchargers don't use them except at shows. and most don't have the problem of having a real nice carbon fiber engine cover either. I cannot say whether they give an increase or decrease in power. the one thread I read negative about them I wouldn't consider credible just from the person who wrote the thread but on the other hand. I have not heard of any positive results from them either nor have I seen any dyno charts proving gains or losses. I think most people stay with the coil on plug desighn.
I have heard of alot of people changing the spark plugs for a mild increase in performance but none that have proved good solid gains going back to an obselete spark plug wire desighn. I hope this answered your question most people I know run them at shows only. I think that is why nobody has posted a response it usually ends up in a heated debate between the people who sell them and others so make your own choice or seek assistance from one of the higher ups here who has more knowledge
Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen something on multiple thread on how wires, no matter the size or insulation, will NOT increase any power. It simply would make a more efficient spark that "could" create an increase, but it's not the wires themselves that give you the power. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have some similar questions about the Nology wires. I will be watching this thread to learn what I can from it. Hopefully people with some knowledge will chime in and this doesnt become another "speculation" thread totally lacking real info. Im getting tired of those around this forum...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well....

Here's a pro arguement with data...
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HotWires/hotwires4.php

Here's a personal testimonial with personal research about the product and use on his Eclipse.

http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html

I'll try to keep finding info.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:41 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Read through the first 3-4 side links on the page. This has a lot of information.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

There seems to be a lot of argument against them with seemingly reliable information to back it up. I also dont like how it relocats the coil packs to the front of the engine bay. With my Perrin intake saystem I dont have any more room in that area...

....Anybody know of upgraded plug wires for the xA/xB that dont relocat the coil packs???
Old 10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for the replies. My concern wasn't the performance aspects of these wires. But the installation interference for when I go forced induction with either the greddy or pe kit.

It looks like it might fit with the PE kit as long as the pipes don't interfere with the bracket for the hotwires. But when I choose the greddy kit, I don't know how it will fit with the new manifold.

I didn't want to start a battle of which wires are better, why or why not to get these wires. I bought them already and I did it for my own personal reason. I did my research, like I do with most of my upgrades, but I did paid attention to the details of installation. My fault, you can blaim me for that.

I don't want to upset anybody, because they choose a different wire set. I just need some advice with the installation of these wires and the supercharger kits from PE or greddy.

Thanks again for all the replies. They are helpful for people who are deciding on a wire set.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All good. Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Metsvenand, don't take this as a personal attack. I respect you from other posts, and the pm's we have sent back and forth.

But to be quite honest, I see absolutely no reason performance wise to add a set of (any brand) plug wires. Now if you are doing it simply for show, and you don't mind no performance gain (or even losing performance), then by all means enjoy the wires.

Now, for a really brief explanation for what I said. A coil on plug design offers minimal, if any resistance between the coil and plug. By adding wires, you are adding resistance. Even those with a very rudimentary understanding of electricity (such as myself) can comprehend that more resistance equals less spark. That is why I say to skip adding "performance" wires to a coil on plug design unless you are doing it for looks.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Rton20s, I don't take it personal. I understand enough for me to get myself around ignition systems. I am an electrical engineer and when I was racing my eclipse gsx, I went from coil pack ignition system to coil on plug. Why, because coil on plug system you can tune your ignition per cylinder and you get better sparks per cylinder.

When I did my first search about the possible ignition upgrades for our xB's. The only thing that showed up were these hotwires. I read about them on their site and also on the site I bought the wires from. It looked an OK upgrade. Of course, I wasn't going to expect 5-10 HP increase, just by installing these wires. But maybe better performance tuning after I upgrade to a turbo or supercharger set-up, where I need a better, hotter, more accurate spark.

I also did a basic search for "hotwire" and "Nology" on this site and not that much came up.

Here is a thought, don't get me wrong or start bashing me. But try to think about it too. These wires work on the basis of collecting the energy in the capacitors and they release it when the spark is needed. I understand that when you make the length of these wires longer, you get more resistance. Not good for us. But what if this capacitor is located in the plug that connects to the spark plug. How much length do you have then. Almost nothing. So, when the capacitor releases the energy to create the spark, it doesn't have to go that far. You can say the same distance as the coil on plugs. But now you have to consider a higher energy that was restored and now released in a higher amount and in a more accurate rate. Will this not be better for our engines to create a better combustion.

Please, if you are knowledge about this, correct me if I am wrong. I would like to learn even more about this.

BTW, I already talked to the store and did sent them back. Mainly because of the interference.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am no more knowledgeable on the subject than you. Probably less so. I just don't see any way that these could be more efficient, or provide better performance than a coil pack directly on a plug. The coil is only releasing that energy at a very specific time.

I guess I just don't understand how it is possible for the capacitor to release more energy than is initially provided by the coil. Or even how it can release that same energy more precisely, or during a shorter time span.

If you could explain it, I would love to hear it. But I will tell you, even if you can give me a decent explanation, I still won't be buying a set of wires for the xB. Not until I see independent, empirical evidence of either improved efficiency or performance.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hotwires can be an ok ugrade if you ave higher output coils. they can actually severly shorten stock coils service life.
I say sell em off. .
Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yup.. same here.. had friends acutally take their nology wires out because the coil on plug works better.

like a few others said... least resistance. relocating coil packs? it's all showy.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 AM
SL Member

hi,anyone tired IGNITE REV from TM WOrks? direct coil replacement
http://www.tmworks-web.jp/index_eng/products/rev.htm
Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Watching
Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 172
hi,anyone tired IGNITE REV from TM WOrks? direct coil replacement
http://www.tmworks-web.jp/index_eng/products/rev.htm
anyone?
price?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

perfect, just what i was looking for.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 AM
SL Member

hope to hear some reviews soon
Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have a pic of any after market wire setups on an egg or a box? I would like to see if I want to put on a set fur shows.

Quick Reply: Install nology hotwires or not?