Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N Typhoon for CHEAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

I as well got the the K&N from adventon. As for the K&N website if you notice the dyno chart the run they did was in 3rd gear. To get the accurate wheel hp you always do the pull in 4th gear. The statement that it made 8 extra hp is false but i did make 5.5 with mine. just thought yall would like to know. Always Dyno in 4th or youll get a higher hp number everytime. ScionPimpN OUT!!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how hard was the install???

I looked on the website and they have you taking crap apart from the bottom and reaching up and in.. jacking the car up....

I was looking at my stock air box today and there is tons of room underneath the light housing.... wish i had the equipment to fabricate my own....
Old 03-30-2004, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

it took me who's really never installed anything before engine wise on my car, 2.5 hrs. Im not sure if thats alot of time but I just followed the directions k&N had on there website. I got the polished one so I wanted to be extra careful that i didnt scratch the intake. I would say its a moderate install no harder than the dc sports header just read the directions and you cant go wrong ScionPimpN OUT
Old 04-01-2004, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member

Default Why K&N Typhoon?

I've both read and heard that the Typhoon for the Scion requires that the car be jacked up in order to change/clean the filter, especially if lowered, due to the location (straight down, below the engine compartment). If wrong, please inform me. If true, why install a design that requires that level of hassle for basic maintenance? Trying to decide on an intake....

Just curious,

David

Blue Onyx xB Auto
18" Pacer 506C Decade wheels, Pirelli P7000 Super Sport tires
Pioneer 6500 head unit, Pioneer 910 XM tuner
Old 04-01-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it is a pain in the ___... yo dont necessarily have to jack the car up...i parked on a curb to get mine in... the only reason why you have to do this is because the filter on the typhoon is huge and it wont fit in thru the top of the engine compartment... when i first opened the box i thought they shipped me an intake to a mustang...if you do order it do it from the site listed above.. its the cheepest price out there and a great place too.. customer service is actually one of their priorities
Old 04-01-2004, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Why K&N Typhoon?

Originally Posted by shootr2
I've both read and heard that the Typhoon for the Scion requires that the car be jacked up in order to change/clean the filter, especially if lowered, due to the location (straight down, below the engine compartment). If wrong, please inform me. If true, why install a design that requires that level of hassle for basic maintenance? Trying to decide on an intake....

Just curious,

David

Blue Onyx xB Auto
18" Pacer 506C Decade wheels, Pirelli P7000 Super Sport tires
Pioneer 6500 head unit, Pioneer 910 XM tuner

It's true that you have to jack it up some to put in the filter. To make the install easier, I loosened the mudflap on the inside of the wheel well. This allows easier access. Once you loosen the flap you can reach in trough the wheel well and tightening the screw and clamp that holds the filter to the intake tube.

The installation manual does not tell you to do that. But I figured out.

Otherwise, it's a pain to tighten the clamp trying to reach trough the bottom front of the car
I hope this helps
Old 04-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have one question on all the different cold air intakes. A friend of mine had one on his protege and when it rained a bunch a truck drove by and splashed water up onto his hood. It stalled his car out and he couldn't start it again until his AEM intake dried out. Will water really affect it when it gets wet and if so why do people continue to put them on their cars if they can't drive in the rain? That's the only thing stopping me from adding one.

-Z
Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

it rained like hell the other day and i drove around all day in it. no problems at all. you have to be careful with them though, its not like im crossing rivers or anything. i think the filter is placed in a pretty safe spot on these cars. it doesnt take direct hits of water and if any does splash up in there gravity takes care of anything that does slip by.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member

will this work on the xA?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by EchoJai
will this work on the xA?
I hope not, I've been holding out on buying one because I want one for the xA...
Old 04-08-2004, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member

well I don't see why it won't fit the xA, the filter is at the bottom of the car and the piping goes down once it gets behind the headlight.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found this place that has pretty good prices on some intakes, including the K&N typhoon CAI...never ordered from them before, though.

http://www.hopupracing.com/scion.html