Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Kill Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Kill Switch?

Any of you guys installed a kill switch for the starter recently? I have been thinking of adding one to my box since I got it. My neighborhood isn't exactly number one on the charts, and I been noticing a couple homie from my block eyeing my ride...

I was wondering about the different applications you guys have used, as far as location of the switch, and where to put the relay and such. Any walkthroughs would be nice as well. I know my basic electrical (<3 7'th grade science right?), and I do work with sound on occasion, so as far as wire guages and items I'll need, I understand what you are talking about.

As far as my own ideas, I was thinking of wireing it outside the vehicle, say inside the gas door or something, not an obvious place to look, and hooking to the wire that is activated when I depress my clutch. So basicly if the switch is off, and the clutch is depressed, the engine will not register clutch in place. I saw someone talking about placing the switch into thier cig lighter, but I guess xB lighters do not click in and heat up, you just press it till it's hot, and that could get difficult pressing the lighter in and turning the key?

The other thought was wireing it to just below the gas door release, so I have to lift the carpet a little to hit my switch.

This brings another thought though... With the kill switch engaged, can't my car still be push started or hotwired?

Any ideas/help/walkthroughs would be much appreciated!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

On second thought, maybe installing a live wire next to my gas cap with fumes and spilling and all isn't such a good idea..........

Old 11-27-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have an automatic or manual tranny ?

On the Manual, there is a switch connected to the clutch pedal that needs to be fully depressed to start the car, just tie a toggle switch into that line.

On an auto, search on the shifter for the neutral saftey switch and/or do the same thing.

This will only keep them from "borrowing" your car , not stripping it of parts. Get a good alarm , and become religious (pray) nothing happens.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

I have a manual (only way to go IMO) thus the refferance to the clutch wire I was talking about. And I am not worried about them stripping it where she sits, we have roaming -armed- security around my complex 24/7. I just don't want one of these wanna be gang bangers taking her for a joy ride to thier boy's chop shop.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default be creative...

just be creative when setting up a kill switch... it never fails to see someone set it up on a cigarette lighter or in the shifter boot or under the seat... find a creative place to put ur kill switch something thats not average... like i once knew a guy that put his in the headliner of his car.. a push button one... just be creative.. and clutch is a good place to start but do a search there are many ways u just need to fine the one that fits what your going for best.

and don't hesitate to do more than one depending on ur neighborhood. a friend of mine has his tied into his undercarriage neons to were they have to be on plus push the cigarette lighter in then u start the car.. but what i have found is that these can tend to get a little ridiculous.

good luck
Old 11-28-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by frogbox
Get a good alarm
Plain and simple...and the best answer...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lojack and alarm FTW
Old 11-28-2006, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member

Got the Lowjack, but still trying to decide on an alarm. Any good suggestions as far as brand?

I don't have he cash right now to put a good one in, and I figured a kill switch is a good low cost way to keep it in it's spot.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i remember reading somebody post that they just pop the hood and take out the fuse for the starter or something. that should keep it from being hotwired for sure. and cheap.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member

And a pain in the ___, as well as obvious. This only works if you do it every time.

My friend had a honda with a detatchable stearing wheel, and he stopped bothering with it after a while. His car got jacked out of his driveway in a decent area.