Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

lets say I got an intake, header, and axle back exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default lets say I got an intake, header, and axle back exhaust...

1 - would I basically be wasting my time?

2 - could I take the setup to a muffler shop and have them add the middle section between cat and axle?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

1. Your gains will be minimal, your car will be louder. If you can afford it, don't mind the noise, and won't affect the usage of your xB, why not?

2. Yes, muffler shop can do your whole exhaust setup if you'd like too. But again, getting a straight pipe between your cat to your axle will make your car louder, and if not the correct pipe size, you will lose HP.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by itzjere

2. Yes, muffler shop can do your whole exhaust setup if you'd like too. But again, getting a straight pipe between your cat to your axle will make your car louder, and if not the correct pipe size, you will lose HP.
so what would the correct pipe size be?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Depends if your going to just do I/H/E or if you plan on doing further engine mods such as F/I, which kinda refers back to question 1 a little bit.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends if your going to just do I/H/E or if you plan on doing further engine mods such as F/I, which kinda refers back to question 1 a little bit.
well, I did AEM intake.

I'm looking long and hard at the RSR*gt2 axle back. All of the cat back systems don't really sound that great.

Then I wanted to do a header of some sort afterwards. But, this would probably be a little pointless if I had a huge bottleneck between the cat and the exhaust... right?

how do I tell what the right piping size is?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Personally, I think all the mods for the xA/xB are a bit pointless to a degree, but by all means, make the car your own, and if your happy with what you do with it, then go ahead.

Is your AEM intake SR or CAI?

If you decide to go with intake, header, and full exhaust, your restriction will be at your cat and pipping between your cat and axle if you decided to go with RSR. It's not too hard to fix though. You can get a highflow cat from several companies, and have a muffler shop weld it on for you when they redo the rest of the pipping. Or if you wanna go reduce restriction some more, you can run no cat. Your in TX so your smog rules aren't as strict as here in Cali.

If you don't plan on going FI, I would say 2 3/8" to 2.5" is good size. Keep in mind, if you get the header, high flow cat and straight pipping, your car will be loud, very loud.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the input.

i think the most lucid point is "I think all the mods for the xA/xB are a bit pointless to a degree".

maybe I will just get the RSR axle back and leave it at that.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Personally, I think all the mods for the xA/xB are a bit pointless to a degree.
........ Performance mods? Or all mods?!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Sorry, I meant performance mods. I think you put a nice set of wheels, drop it about 2.5" and put a kenstyle kit on the xA, and it'll look hooootttt... something like this:

Old 02-01-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by badger2
thanks for the input.

i think the most lucid point is "I think all the mods for the xA/xB are a bit pointless to a degree".

maybe I will just get the RSR axle back and leave it at that.
Sorry, didn't mean to differ you from doing your mods. By all means, if you want to do the mods, please go ahead and make the Scion your own! Seeing as you already have the intake, exhaust would be a nice compliment.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

jus like my gf always saids: "honey, do you need it? What is it for? Are you going to race somebody with your car? blah blah blah...." makes me start to wonder if I should mod my car back to stock.... but anywho, do as ur heart says.... if u mod it for personal enjoyment (like me), then yea, mod it.... but if ur modding to increase hp, then.... um... keep it stock.....
Old 02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by xb1013
if u mod it for personal enjoyment (like me), then yea, mod it.... but if ur modding to increase hp, then.... um... keep it stock.....
exactly
Old 02-01-2006, 07:19 PM
SL Member

i GoT a MaGnAfLoW muFfLeR pUt In AnD tUbInG fRoM tHe ReSiNaTeR fOr TwO-fIdDy.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont forget the butt dyno. Some of these performance mods are definitely detectable by the butt dyno and for that reason alone are fun to do. Ive got a cheapy ebay muffler on my xa. Its kinda loud, and Im not sure if it actually produces more hp, but I do know that when Im humming down the interstate at 80, Im lovin it more than when I had the stock muffler. Also going under bridges and passing people is much funner too!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really have no clue what you are thinking recommending a full exhaust with a 2.375" - 2.5" diameter to someone who plans to keep their car naturally aspirated. That would be the outside range you would want to run on a turbo equipped car with our anemic little 1.5 liter.

If you plan on keeping the car naturally aspirated with only intake header an exhaust a full 2" system will be plenty. The smaller diameter (compared to what was recommended) will help keep your low end torque, but still be large enough to flow well at higher rpm. If you plan on doing more to the car performance wise (pistons, head, intake manifold, etc.), only then would I consider bumping up to 2.25".

This isn't to say that 2.25" wouldn't work for a very mild n/a car, but you will lose some of your low end torque.

Now to the original poster. Customization is completely objective. Build your car for you, no one else. If you expect an i/h/e combo to boost your xB into typical compact car performance status, forget it. You can count on about a 10 hp increase. It doesn't sound like much for what you are spending, but we have less than 100 hp stock. The car will feel more peppy, but don't expect to start racing with it. Unless it is another box.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ive got AEM cai, R1 header, and Greddy Evo2 axleback exhaust. I love it to death and setup sounds mean. There was a minimal power gain but nothing to get excited about. I did it more just say I had it done at shows and at local meets. The more mods the merrier for me as long as theyre tastefully done and not tacky or ugly....

...I would suggest the full works.

I also did run without a muffler and cat for a while which was incredibly loud and grew to be just annoying. If the power gain was worth it then I could have dealt with it but it wasnt at all.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey badger, I bought my Xb with the intent to do minimal mods. I have somewhat gotten caught up in the "hype" of it all, but needless to say learned and enjoyed installing my mods. First thing I do agree with Itzjere to a degree, that is the engine is very underpowered to start. That said I have done the AEM cold air intake, EL Prototype ceramic header, TRD axle back exhaust, NGK Iridium plugs and CNR Billet under drive pulley. All of my mods have made a difference some much less noteable than other's but in the end it's a blast to drive. My girlfriend has a Tc and she like's to drive mine because it is fun to drive. I strongly suggest if you do the engine, get some good tire's and lower it. That will make it so much fun to drive! Keep in mind some stuff is not too cheap. Good Luck!

P.s. This will not be Turbo power difference but, it will be a noticeable difference. And one you can enjoy.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tim_Carr
get some good tire's and lower it.
Haha, begging the question... "what are some good tires" and "how much lower" ;)

I've been looking at a pair of 17's that with the low profiles tires, should be a lot lighter than the stock 15's.

What's the difference in lowering?

And yes, I know this is starting to get off topic, so more natural aspiration questions!!!

If I run a header, and then pipe it into the stock cat, don't I risk putting too much pressure on the header because the air has nowhere to go?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah definately agree with lowering! I put a set of Dropzone coilovers in the front with about a 4" drop and Im actually running stock height in the rear for a raked look. I think its pretty sweet but its definately not for everybody. Im sittin on 205/40/17 Wanli v-rated tires but I would actually suggest 205/45/17 tires....
Old 02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey got a quicky question on this subject , i got a xg with a fx CAI i was thinking about putting on a knock-off Greddy evo 2 cat back , im more into the luck and sound then the power , does anybody know what kinda power difference if any it would make ?

Quick Reply: lets say I got an intake, header, and axle back exhaust...